• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wanted to know what the best would be for a Glock 22 (.40). Preferably something that could also work for 9mm. And for a typical .223/5.56 AR. I see so many for like $300 on GunBroker and others for over $1000.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jrose

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’m getting ready to purchase a YHM Sidewinder. I’ve heard good things and they are cheap comparable to most. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet in case I find something a little better, but cans are selling out pretty fast right now . I would check out Silencer shop. They pretty much take care of everything for you.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have a drill press or even a vice and a drill, you can easily make your own and have it running in about a month instead of waiting a year. Build your own Form 1. There are many places to get the parts online, it's 100% legal (with the Form 1 papers and paying the tax stamp) and it's very gratifying to build your own. Plus, you can really get what you want and possibly save some money. I'm not talking about using those "fuel filters", I'm talking about using several baffles, spacers and drilling your own with ports, vents, etc.

Here is a great place to research it... https://form1suppressor.boards.net/ - You'll need to create an account to view the forum.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Buying from a reputable manufacturer is going to cost more but you'll get a better product. Suppressors aren't complicated and for rimfire/ pistol use a Form 1 can should be fine. Full power rifle rounds, I'd go with something besides a DIY. But it's America, so do whatever you're willing to pay for.

FWIW, the places that provide F1 kits have been getting a lot of not good attention lately.

Form 4 times have been 5-7 months lately but those can change drastically without any notice.

Higher cost generally comes with better performance (suppression, weight, durability, special feature, etc) but depending on needs/ desires may not be worth the extra cost.

Until the laws change, you're buying this for the rest of your life. You can sell it but it's not worth the hassle buying/ selling a used can. Cheapest route is usually not the way to go.

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I would say to go ahead and get a good rifle or multi-cal can that can handle magnum rifle cartridges. Then try your hand at building a low pressure pistol can if you really want to. But get a good rifle can first.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You aren't going to be happy with a 223 suppressor on a 22LR pistol.

Everyone needs at least 2 cans. One dedicated rimfire and a centerfire rifle can. Centerfire pistol can is a distant 3rd need (and actually I'd put it 4th or 5th, past additional centerfire rifle cans.).

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rhino is right, one suppressor will not cover it all. One rim fire, one centerfire pistol one centerfire rifle AT LEAST

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would always lean in favor of a can that can be disassembled, cleaned and wipes replaced if so equipped. A soak and ultrasonic parts cleaner are an alternative if you will always have access to it (and power). Multiple caliber erector sets do allow calibers use versatility but it won't be as effecfive as a specific caliber unit.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Rhino is right, one suppressor will not cover it all. One rim fire, one centerfire pistol one centerfire rifle AT LEAST
    He's right you know...

Last edited:

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Truth of the matter is if you really want 'movie quiet', the only one that really gets there is a suppressed 22LR, with subsonic rounds. Bolt action rifle is the best, but also quiet on pistols. Cheap to shoot (or was, lol).

Next I like Centerfire rifle - 556 / 308 aren't going to be 'quiet', but it really takes it down a large degree - as a shooter, you can shoot without hearing protection hunting, etc and really suffer no ill effects - sure, training / range / higher volume of fire and you'll feel it, but for 1-3 shots, hunting hogs, etc and you won't feel it like you would un-suppressed. Yes, some 300BLK, subsonic rounds can be really quiet, but you are slowing the round down to where it's a 45ACP round essentially, so of course that can be quiet.

Centerfire pistol - I find it generally 'meh', unless you are shooting a PCC like a Scorpion / 9MM AR / MP5, etc. Reason being, on a traditional pistol (Glock, SIG, Beretta, HK), the form factor is changed significantly with a large suppressor hanging off the pistol. They are quiet, but not as quiet as a 22LR and are sorta unwieldy.

My 2-cents!

Top Bottom