• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Today's testing: 123gr tipped, Midway seconds (they look exactly like Hornady 123gr SST bullets but with some tarnish on them) (sold out in 1 day). Goal: accurate, fast for the 7.62x39, hunting load if I decide to try it hog hunting.

Used AA1680 and AA2200. 100yd 5 shot groups.

1680: Didn't measure the groups, just eye balled them. Groups ~ 1.75" - 2.25". Eh, so-so.

2200: Now we're talking! 28.5gr 1.4". 29gr 1.29". 29.5gr 1.32" with 4 of the shots at .87". 30gr 1.53". I liked the looks of the 29.5gr group so let's chronograph 3 shots of that. No signs of high pressure. All loads of 2200 compressed the powder. Per data from NRA, Internet, and published data, it should give around 2400fps. Duh, they gave average of 2024fps at 6-7' from the chronograph. I wanted 2300-2400fps for the most power. FAIL my velocity criteria. My Blackout loads go much faster than that in the same bbl length.

Guess I try other powder(s). Or, just go back to plinking with the rifle and be happy with the fun it provides me.
    Thank you very much for the info. Keep at it. Im sure you can figure it out.
    CFE BLACK?? This is what I bought to try. Supposed to be good.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I don't have any CFE Black. Have some IMR 4198, H332, and H335 I can try. AA2200 was so darn accurate...deep down I knew it wasn't kicking as much as other full power loads and the bullets were hitting lower than faster loads, all of which help confirm the lower velocity I was getting.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    CFE BLK is a subsonic powder for .300 Blackout.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have finally gotten around to testing my 762x39 on AR frame. As has been mentioned by Daeze and RR, the steel case rounds do very well. I started my data gathering from that assumption and for now I'm just pulling FMJs and replacing them with hunting rounds. Couldn't get my Chrono to fit on the AR barrel, (handguard too long) so I'm taking the factory data for reference point (2300 fps) Belom (made in Serbia) rounds were used for this. They are new brass and reloadable.

Tested the following bullets:
    1. 125G Hornady SST in .308
    2. 110G Hornady Vmax in .308
    3. 123G Hornady soft point in .311
    4. 110G Hornady spire point in .308
    All rounds were fired from 100 yards with moderate time between shots (1 min).

I established zero using the Belom factory rounds with the 123g FMJs.

attached pictures show pretty good consistency across all of the bullet types, weights, and diameters.

Of interest, I pulled bullets from 4 different manufactures bullets. All were between .304 and .306 diameter. None were anywhere close to .311. I found this to be extremely odd. Using digital micrometer (I know how). Measured the Hornady bullets listed above and they were all spot on to advertised diameter.

My process was -
    1. Pulled the 123G FMJs and proceeded to:
    2. Pull the bullets
    3. Gently resize the neck the least little bit to provide tension for the final step of seating and crimping.
    4. Seat and crimp. Very slight crimp, just enough to keep the bullet from rotating under finger pressure
    When I finished shooting this is what I found -
    Best group was the Hornady 110G SST in .308 diameter. About a 1.5” 5 shot group. All the others performed about as well, but with slightly larger groups. With the worst being about a 1.75” group (all at 100 yds)

The drop on this load is almost 8 inches at 200 yds. I found that a little surprising. Estimated FPS is 2300 based on specs on the ammo boxes. Who knows since I couldn’t chrono it.

Concluded that any of the random bullets that I have in .308 or .311 will work just fine for hunting hogs and dr ranges (inside 200)

All images below rotated to the right 90 deg for some ungodly reason and I couldn't correct them. Point of aim was center of target on the 4 ups.

I'll be trying Nosler Ballistic tips and Accubonds on the next outing. both 125g. .308 diam.

Attachments

• 125G 308diam Hornady SST.jpg
      125G 308diam Hornady SST.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 67
    • Hornady 110g .308 spire pt.jpg
      Hornady 110g .308 spire pt.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 65
    • Hornady 123g .311 soft point.jpg
      Hornady 123g .311 soft point.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 67
    • Hornady 110g .308 Vmax.jpg
      Hornady 110g .308 Vmax.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 65

maverick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What are You looking for? Rifle, carbine, or pistol?
    Thanks for the reply. I purchased a 7.62 x39 BCA upper installed on a donor AR carbine lower. I have about 150 rounds thru it with Wolf ammo. Pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots at 100 yd. and ringing steel at 300 with some holdover. I am interested at this stage as to what of the factory steel ammo has the advantage...Wolf, Tula, Barnaul, etc. Thanks in advance.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the reply. I purchased a 7.62 x39 BCA upper installed on a donor AR carbine lower. I have about 150 rounds thru it with Wolf ammo. Pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots at 100 yd. and ringing steel at 300 with some holdover. I am interested at this stage as to what of the factory steel ammo has the advantage...Wolf, Tula, Barnaul, etc. Thanks in advance.
    I find that it really doesn't seem to matter a lot. I'm sticking with Belom ammo because its new brass and reloadable. I'm collecting all that I shoot for reloading.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If you don't already have it, good luck finding any at less than scalper prices.

The economic sanctions on Russia halted approved import contracts of ammo.

The days of 20 rounds for 5 bucks or so are long gone.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If you don't already have it, good luck finding any at less than scalper prices.

The economic sanctions on Russia halted approved import contracts of ammo.

The days of 20 rounds for 5 bucks or so are long gone.
    Looks like 7.99 or 8.99 for steel case is about the average.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    This is something I've recently got interested in, mainly to load subsonic. So I got a set of Lee carbide dies with extra expanding mandrels for 308 bullets. I've bought a few boxes of brown bear subs, some premium brass subs, some premium brass supersonic & a few thousand rounds of cheap steel Berdan primed import. I have Berdan primer removers and 5K primers. And 100s of Hornady 308 bullets in many shapes and weights. I have both a Lee & Hornady manual, but not too much info on subs. My guns are both a Draco & an AR in 10.5", as well as a 20" SKS. Watching guys on YouTube successfully pulling Wolf bullets, reducing charge & resetting 124grn bullets making subs. So my thought was what could I accomplish with heavier pills?? Should be fun and educating. The one necessary tool I still need is a chronograph.

Michael888

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Picked up my Ruger American Ranch Rifle (RARR) 7.62x39 today.

1) It needs Sawman's touch on the trigger. Worst trigger pull of any of the Ruger American's I've pulled (not bad, but when you're used to smoother, lighter, and no creep...well it's the worst one). Bolt is not as smooth running as my oldest RARR that's been shot around a thousand rounds.

2) Measuring the muzzle (using a 308/30-06 muzzle wear gage it was less than "1", and about like 0.66, like a brand new 308 or 30/06 bbl) and sticking bullets in the muzzle, it seemed tighter than other .310-.311 bbls I have. Let's slug the bbl. Bore diameter .303". Groove diameter .309". I like that snug groove diameter.

Looking at my .308-.311 bullets weighing 108 to 125gr, I have 5 possibles. Looking at my powder, I have at least 5 (or more) possibles, so lots of combinations to work with. Tomorrow I start testing. Eventually I'll test it with Barnes 110gr black tip Blackout bullets (Sawman will like that if they work).

In keeping with the rifle's smaller size, I put a Burris 2-7x scope on it.

The shop that received it for me also had received one via their normal distributer a couple of days ago. I called a friend who'd been looking all over for one, asked the shop to pull it off their wall and put my friend's name on it. He arrived within an hour to buy it.
    Your gonna LOVE IT>

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This is something I've recently got interested in, mainly to load subsonic. So I got a set of Lee carbide dies with extra expanding mandrels for 308 bullets. I've bought a few boxes of brown bear subs, some premium brass subs, some premium brass supersonic & a few thousand rounds of cheap steel Berdan primed import. I have Berdan primer removers and 5K primers. And 100s of Hornady 308 bullets in many shapes and weights. I have both a Lee & Hornady manual, but not too much info on subs. My guns are both a Draco & an AR in 10.5", as well as a 20" SKS. Watching guys on YouTube successfully pulling Wolf bullets, reducing charge & resetting 124grn bullets making subs. So my thought was what could I accomplish with heavier pills?? Should be fun and educating. The one necessary tool I still need is a chronograph.

Let me know how that works as now I'm definitely curious.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom