• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Anybody got the tools/ knowledge to make some clean coils in an AR gas tube?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got it . . thanks.
    IMO - - -> in stainless,and this small, a do it yourself would take highly specialized equipment.
    Back in the old days we used to bend a tube by inserting a perfect sized coil spring inside. This would prevent the tube from collapsing. --- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That's the idea but I want to do it with rifle or rifle+X length tube on a midlength or rifle gas system. I've got one I did by hand but was looking for an easier more consistent way to do it.

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    nate
    it should be doable tho would likely take some fussin and cussin to rig something up ... interesting concept as well ..

rich

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just a thought, and not sure of how many coils you're looking for, but maybe buy 2 of the pigtail tubes, cut it, add what extra tubing you need, length or more coils, then braze the pieces together.
    If it's on a straight piece, run a copper wire inside the tubing before brazing. Maybe ?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Watched the vid.

My issue is I'm already working with a "finished" product. Without a high possiblity of damaging the gas tube, I don't think I'd be able to keep fluid in the tube. I also have to keep the gas hole lined up.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting concept. I would not want it myself, but I could see if it lightens the recoil and in the short run is more reliable with some combinations.
    For a timing problem or should a say a super fast bolt in an 7.62x39 I put in an H3 buffer and it fixed the problem of two rounds leaving the magazine at the same time. There are bolts that vent gas also.
    My concern with the looped gas tube is could it get blocked. I do not have the experience that many of do with the AR, but I did read that the tube is supposed to be self cleaning in that it blows debris of out the tube. I wonder if a loop tube would function the same way.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Idea here is for suppressed applications. I've monkeyed with buffers, springs, gas blocks and bcgs. It'll give the gas a little more time/distance before unlocking and help with the longer dwell time a can adds. This works with a rifle tube on a midlength 11.5" 5.56. My hope was that with a shorter dwell and longer time for the gas to hit the bcg, more crap would be put out the front of the gun instead of back through the chamber. This isn't a fix all but it'd be a nice option to have for tuning purposes.

I've got a rifle +3 I wanted to try on the midlength to see what it'd do but haven't had the time to wrestle with it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sooooo . . . you wrap the coiled tube around the bbl ??
    I can understand what this would do for you. Just don't understand the " general concept". --- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can understand what this would do for you. Just don't understand the " general concept". --- SAWMAN

Correct. Wrapped around the center axis of barrel, ideally not touching the barrel. Install wouldn't be any different and with a 1" radius, you should be able to use most standard free float handguards.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The concept relative to a supressor makes sense. Turns in gas flow dynamics for tube increase the resistance and I assume can lower the velocity of the gas. At the moment that gas arrives at the bolt carrier its velocity and pressure will be less. The bullet will have had more time to travel. The increased volume of the gas in the tube might also lower the pressure that gets to the bolt; however, there still is a greater volume gas arriving that should insure an adequate longer period of push, but slower push to operate the bolt carrier group.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Would something like this help you get the various bends and coils?

Amazon product ASIN B07PPHWQWS
    Edit to add:

With one of these to get most of the large curves done:

You could finish-up the overall profile with the pliers above. Just a thought.

Last edited:

10wt308

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    would a heavy buffer and an adjustable gas block do the same

just thinking out loud

anyway, to answer your question maybe give rubber and specialties in Pensacola a call. they do a/c and brake lines. Might be cheaper and easier than diy

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    See #11.

This is another route besides just restriction and moving more mass. Trying to increase the time before unlocking starts and decrease dwell time. Longer gas tube could sill be used in conjunction with an adjustable block/bcg depending on desired outcome. Heavier buffer is lower on my list of preferred fixes.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    See #11.

This is another route besides just restriction and moving more mass. Trying to increase the time before unlocking starts and decrease dwell time. Longer gas tube could sill be used in conjunction with an adjustable block/bcg depending on desired outcome. Heavier buffer is lower on my list of preferred fixes.

I've used sand to fill tubing and keep it from crimping shut while bending it around a jig. I don't see why it wouldn't work on smaller tubing. I found a youtube video years ago that showed me how to do it. Just make sure it's FULL of sand and tape the ends off real tight.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Here and done.

Sorry , somebody already posted this. I used to use coat hanger inside the brake line to keep from pinching during bending for Redneck custom apps.

Top Bottom