• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Background first. My neighbor has a 1-year old female Pit Bull that had puppies on Feb 7th (~ 4 weeks ago). She (my neighbor) passed away this past Sunday morning and none of the family members want the mama or the puppies. I have been able to find homes for 3 (2 to other people and I'm keeping one) of the pups, but I still have 4 male pups and the mama that need a good home or I will have to take them to the animal shelter. The pups are not weaned (I don;t have the time) so you will have to do it. Sorry about the bad pictures, but it's hard to get four puppies and the mama in one frame. If interested call me @ 850-748-9690 or e-mail me garryjohnson@juno.com.

DSC00460.JPG
    DSC00462.JPG

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’m sorry to hear about your neighbor. It’s a great thing for you to help out with the four-legged orphans.

To that end, some observations:
    1) The pups “should” stay with the mom until they are at least 6-weeks old. If no one is able to facilitate that, then perhaps a rescue can. (I’d normally recommend the animal shelter, but this breed doesn’t have much love in a state-run shelter)

1a) For the folks interested:

2) Some pit bull rescue resources to call:

3) They are puppies. They are Young. Their mom is YOUNG. The owner passed away. They have a caring neighbor trying to do right by them. You have multiple cards stacked in the deck in your/their favor.

Best of luck in your search.

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Unfortunately, I did not get that information before she passed. I really don't think she even knew because Iris (the mama) constantly jumped the fence and wandered the neighborhood. Father could be any of about 5 males, one of whom is a black, part Pit Bull. As of tonight, all of the puppies are drinking/ trying to eat puppy formula mixed with puppy chow out of a bowl, so weaning should be easy. Iris has disappeared and will hopefully return, but I will keep up the formula/puppy chow mix for another week. After that, If they're not adopted, I will have no choice but to take them to the animal shelter.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good info; thanks for the updates. Based on that, some more thoughts:

4) Iris is such a young mom, and, other than being able to jump fence and wander as a female in heat, the reason she wasn’t spayed yet might be due to COVID small business restrictions. Many vet clinics had such a huge increase in appointment requests, and a decrease in employees, plus 6-foot this and parking lot waiting etc, the waiting list grew and many animals went without procedures and even shots. If Iris never got HER appropriate shots, then her litter may be equally immune-deficient.
    It would be worth the time to find out who the neighbor used as a vet and ask about the immunization history. Especially since you are keeping one of the puppies as your own.

5) Many vet clinics, and the shelters too, have workers who will foster an orphaned puppy/kitten and nurse it back to strength in their home, so they are better prepared for living in a kennel/rescue/shelter. You could call the animal shelter and explain the situation. They may have an off-the-books solution.

6) The puppies probably need deworming. (ask a veterinarian)

7) Iris needs to be spayed. (Her long-term health risks just went up with that litter, and without appropriate vet care, it’ll be worse)

8) There are very few reasons to just give a dog away for “free” to a stranger (sometimes even family). For the puppies’ sake, maybe a modest fee would be beneficial. Donate it to someone else, or even back to the same family later, when you see they’re doing well with their new pup. Whatever you deem appropriate.
    a) too many evil liars looking for free animals to do horrible things to.
    b) If the new family can not afford a fair fee to help defray your costs, then they probably can’t afford the appropriate care for that animal.
    c) Paying for something instills a sense of ownership and desire to take care of the item purchased. Something received for free doesn’t inspire the same level of investment and care.

Regardless, even if some of the dogs end up in a shelter, don’t feel bad. You’re already doing more than many people around you. Those dogs are getting a second chance.

Thanks for being there for them.

Caveman94

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    ^ I can’t emphasize #8 enough. Too many sick people in this world that will take advantage of the breed and age of those pups.

In my opinion those dogs won’t last long in the shelter and will be euthanized quickly due to their breed.

I’d love to adopt, but having 3 rescues is my limit. Good thing my wife isn’t on this forum-I’d be coming home with the rest of them lol

But thank you for doing more than others would. God and karma are both going to look out for you

Last edited:
    Top Bottom