• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    So I currently have a larger Kodiak Safe that I am looking at downsizing. I need something that is 20" deep. Height and width doesn't really matter. It can be 22" with the handle. What brands should I stay away from or look into? Please do not just throw a brand name out there. Some brands have lower end models that are complete junk. Please talk from personal experience? Thank you in advance. Paul

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    I want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this subject. I received an overwhelming amount of nothing. Have a great weekend!

Rockola2004

Old Soul Gun Enthusiast
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been really happy with my Liberty Franklin model. I had a little trouble with the key pad lock once but turned out to be only a disconnected wire. I understand that Liberty has stopped using that particular brand of lock that is on mine. Otherwise it’s been a great safe. I hope I never have to find out how well it works. Have a good weekend.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Most of the better quality safes are in the 22-24" not including handles. The 20" depth requirement may lead you to the lower end imported stuff. Might also help if you stated a fire rating you were looking toward.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    I ended up getting a Liberty Colonial 30. I was being sarcastic because over 50 gun owners looked at my post and none had anything to say.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    I have been really happy with my Liberty Franklin model. I had a little trouble with the key pad lock once but turned out to be only a disconnected wire. I understand that Liberty has stopped using that particular brand of lock that is on mine. Otherwise it’s been a great safe. I hope I never have to find out how well it works. Have a good weekend.
    I appreciate the info. I looked at a bunch of safes and Liberty seemed like a great safe and most reviews online were great. And it's made in the USA. I think I made a great choice going with a Liberty Safe.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The 22" measurement is the footprint within 1/4". You need to add for the plug in the back (can't put it against the wall) and 1.5" for the handle (that sticks out).

glad you are happy though

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I ended up getting a Liberty Colonial 30. I was being sarcastic because over 50 gun owners looked at my post and none had anything to say.
    I didn’t reply because you said don’t just throw a brand out there, so I didn’t.
    I’ve got a Liberty Franklin 35 and I’m happy with it but I’m no safe engineer so I don’t know if it’s a great safe or not.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    The 22" measurement is the footprint within 1/4". You need to add for the plug in the back (can't put it against the wall) and 1.5" for the handle (that sticks out).

glad you are happy though
    I found that out yesterday when looking. I only had to remove the door stop molding to put it where I wanted it. Thanks for the info

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    I didn’t reply because you said don’t just throw a brand out there, so I didn’t.
    I’ve got a Liberty Franklin 35 and I’m happy with it but I’m no safe engineer so I don’t know if it’s a great safe or not.
    I just didn't want people to say Liberty or Cannon or Winchester. I wanted peoples good or bad experiences with a particular model. But you can not go wrong with a Liberty. I wasn't really worried about the cost as much as the quality and longevity. I do appreciate another good Liberty suggestion though.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    I have a Cannon and a Liberty. Both should deter a common thief long enough for LE to respond to the burglar alarm call from the security company.
    I also agree. The salesman I spoke to said the weak point on all safes, even the cheap imported ones, is the back. Only an amateur would attempt to break in through the door but would have better luck with a cheap import.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    If you are "downsizing" it would be nice to know what size you had, so your "height and width doesn't matter" criteria would make sense.
    I went from a 72 x 36 x 24. I needed something shorter and not as deep for the new location. I did end up getting a Liberty Colonial 30 which happen to fit perfectly at 60 x 36 x 22.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Some of the lower end Libertys are made overseas and then shipped here to install insulation and the locking stuff...just enough to give them the Made In USA sticker. Nothing wrong with a Liberty Safe.

Some of the older low end Cannons can be problematic. If you pull the keypad and can see the silver lock in the spindle hole you are probably good...if you can run a screw driver in the spindle hole 3-4" you may not be in good shape. They usually have NL at the bottom of the keypad. Liberty's tech support is top notch...Cannon's not so much.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom