• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Help dispell my ignorance! Looking at finally buying my 1st suppressor. Found a deal on a used Surefire RC already on a form 4, the seller said he's paying $200 to transfer it to my dealer. My LGS is a class III SOT. I haven't asked them about NFA transfers, but I'm assuming when they receive it I'll just pay them a transfer fee plus $200 for my stamp? About 40 miles from me is a shop with a silencerco kiosk, I was thinking that might make it worth the drive? I'd really like to set up a trust with my son, I plan on 2 more cans (.22 & 338) and at least one SBR. I figured once the trust was set up through the kiosk for this 1st one I could then go back to my LGS for the others. Advice please!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Help dispell my ignorance! Looking at finally buying my 1st suppressor. Found a deal on a used Surefire RC already on a form 4, the seller said he's paying $200 to transfer it to my dealer. My LGS is a class III SOT. I haven't asked them about NFA transfers, but I'm assuming when they receive it I'll just pay them a transfer fee plus $200 for my stamp? About 40 miles from me is a shop with a silencerco kiosk, I was thinking that might make it worth the drive? I'd really like to set up a trust with my son, I plan on 2 more cans (.22 & 338) and at least one SBR. I figured once the trust was set up through the kiosk for this 1st one I could then go back to my LGS for the others. Advice please!

You got it.

Because of the seller having to pay a transfer tax, there's not much of a market for used NFA items already on a Form 4.

Just realize it's going to take a VERY LONG TIME for two Form 4's to process, perhaps eighteen months.

Yes, some have been coming back ultra fast, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I would only buy it if it's a significant savings over new. Not worth the extra weight. Buying used, it's a lot faster if it's already on a form 3 ready to transfer to an SOT. I would rather pay a few more bucks and not have to worry about 2 sets of paperwork.

brodband

Master
    If hes in state its a single form 4. Form 4s are processing very fast right now. Expect 3 months or less. If hes out of state there will be two form 4s. Could be 48 hour turn around, could be 6 months, or anything in between. 6 plus month turnarounds arent really a thing anymore.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    In-state seller means one Form-4 to transfer to you directly from the seller. You pay the seller. You pay the $200 infringement fee to the BATFECES. Seller keeps possession until your Form-4 stamp arrives. That could be awhile.

If seller is out of state, they transfer it to your LGS, then the LGS transfers to you. Even longer process.

All that for a used device that you have no idea how it was abused and likely no recourse for warranty issues.

As previously advised, unless the savings are worth that, just buy new.

Use the kiosk to setup for SingleShot Trusts from SilencerShop.
    Buy the suppressors in your name, with your biometrics. Add your son, or whomever, on your own after the Form-4 is yours. The BATFECES doesn’t need to have their infringing noses in EVERYTHING.

Just my 2-cents.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I'm gonna go over to A&M pawn when I get home to figure out how to do it. They have the kiosk and have or had some cans in stock. Eyeballing .22 Switchback can. ( as of today) Seen several for sale on gunbroker though but don't know how it works buying there. But none ( switchback) in stock at silencer shop.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    I'm gonna go over to A&M pawn when I get home to figure out how to do it. They have the kiosk and have or had some cans in stock. Eyeballing .22 Switchback can. ( as of today) Seen several for sale on gunbroker though but don't know how it works buying there. But none ( switchback) in stock at silencer shop.

If your LGS is registered with SilencerShop, you can buy a suppressor that your dealer has (regardless of whether SilencerShop has them in-stock), and the dealer can use the SilencerShop system/kiosk to run it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    If your LGS is registered with SilencerShop, you can buy a suppressor that your dealer has (regardless of whether SilencerShop has them in-stock), and the dealer can use the SilencerShop system/kiosk to run it.
    Ok. Thanks. They did have a Q erector in 22 ( tan, bleh) but last time I was in there they were totally sold out of all of them. 22, 9mm, 308, etc. I need to call and see if they have any and the in's and out's about getting one off of gunbroker. Fees, transfer etc.

Test target...
    Spypoint_20240623_123947.jpg

scope0311

Expert

If you want a switchback, I know where you can get a new one here in the area to be sent to your LGS on a form 3. It's the Silver/Black version, not the newer all black.

PM me and I'll send you the info.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    It's out of state, but less than 1/2 the price of a new RC2

Sounds like $600 down the drain to a scammer for a suppressor with a barrel length restriction that probably was abused on a much shorter length barrel.

Buy new.

Themumfordman

Master
    It's out of state, but less than 1/2 the price of a new RC2

Definitely check the validity of the seller and purchasing platform. I’ve purchased 3 cans on Gun Broker, but all were held on dealer Form 3’s from SOT’s, so a simple transfer to my local dealer, and then I do the SS form 4 and trust here locally. I’d be really careful buying a private party used can. People can seriously cause major damage with misuse, and it’s a really expensive and drawn out mistake if it ends up bad months later when you finally pick it up, now legally tied to you with infringement fees and registration you can’t easily walk away from.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    If you want a switchback, I know where you can get a new one here in the area to be sent to your LGS on a form 3. It's the Silver/Black version, not the newer all black.

PM me and I'll send you the info.
    I probably have 10-11 Surefire Warcomps & MB, so I'm kinda locked into their mounting system. My LGS has one on their shelf but it's FDE, I don't own anything but black...

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Yeah, it's bid up more than I want to pay. Looking at a 338 can and a Faxon 8.6 barrel for my DB-10 308 pistol! I'm just gonna go 1st chance I get and set up a trust, and start it out with a reasonable.22 can.

kendive

Master
    Sounds like $600 down the drain to a scammer for a suppressor with a barrel length restriction that probably was abused on a much shorter length barrel.

Buy new.
    I have to agree buy new. I have eight suppressors and would never think of selling one. Who wants a used one??? I would think they are just a throw away item did not think there is a market for them.

Except for the HK MP5 SD that suppressor goes with the gun if ever sold.

:)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Yeah, it's bid up more than I want to pay. Looking at a 338 can and a Faxon 8.6 barrel for my DB-10 308 pistol! I'm just gonna go 1st chance I get and set up a trust, and start it out with a reasonable.22 can.
    Yep, this is what I'm doing. 22 suppressed should be alot of fun. Crows apparently like watermelon rind. Ive got a good 22 savage mk 2 sv sr for em.
    Spypoint_20240623_105215.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom