• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this idea but the exponentially long wait times for form 4s have me thinking if there's any possible way I could pay someone with the right tools, knowledge, and patience to walk me through manufacturing a suppressor after receiving an approved tax stamp on a form 1. Is this a thing that happens or is there any reason why an individual couldn't provide one on one instruction in their shop and let a student manufacture a from 1 suppressor with their own hands after receiving a tax stamp.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I like where your heads at. The main issue would be the cost of the machinery coupled with the lack of vast knowledge, as well as sheer experienc needed to make it happen. Not many machinist I don’t suspect would be willing to turn someone loose with their mill, or lathe… Not to mention safety liability just doesn’t seem feasible or cost affective but who knows… like I said I like where your head is at….

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Please forgive my ignorance but I bet a machinist could control most variables by using good jigs, machine stops and being right there directing a student's hands.
    I'd love to talk with someone who had the tools and figure out exactly how to make this idea work, maybe it could be the start of a new trend like 80% lowers were and I'm sure if it was done properly there'd be plenty of money in the convenience of bypassing form 4 wait times with a low cost to the instructor/machinist.
    Come to think of it, if you're pushing a button on a CNC machine who can say you aren't manufacturing the suppressor?

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Great idea, but a machine shop can keep doing what they are doing now and make more money with less hassle. Also sounds like an opportunity for the ATF to get involved. I wouldn't want the liability if I had a shop and I would bet you insurance would drop you in a heartbeat. I'm all for it, the world isn't.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I like the idea. I think some folks just order parts after they're approved. Not sure.

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Great idea, but a machine shop can keep doing what they are doing now and make more money with less hassle. Also sounds like an opportunity for the ATF to get involved. I wouldn't want the liability if I had a shop and I would bet you insurance would drop you in a heartbeat. I'm all for it, the world isn't.
    I hate to say it but sounds like you're speaking common sense, if there was a profitable niche it'd be a thing already. Probably a lot more reasonable to just pick up cheap tools when you can and just do it yourself.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The current ATF policy for the last year is to refuse all from 1 suppressors. ATF's position is the parts are made in China and the form 1 builder/ maker can't make the parts on their own. This is of course total nonsense. The ATF is anti-gun and is currently using every bureaucratic tool to deprive civil-rights of Americans.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    This has been done in other states before, years ago, in regards to AR 80% build party’s, with cnc machines. Technically, it was legal, which is why it started. However, these activities attracted the attention of, and drew the wrath of the ATF. Machine shop equipment and CNC machines are expensive, and I doubt any business with that much money invested in their business would want to risk the wrath of the ATF over something like this, especially in this era. Just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean that the ATF won’t ruin your life over it.

Bucklowery

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There was a niche but they killed it. Quietbore and other companies who were legally selling kits had to change business due to the ones that were not. You could build them with a vise and cordless drill in your shop. Probably still could. Check out quiet bore

Thanks

Buck

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    After getting ATF approval, I went to a friend's house. He owned a lathe at that time (since sold, so don't ask). He cut (from a chunk of aluminum) and threaded my tube (1" internal diameter) to my specs. Made end caps to my specs. I made baffles by taking washers 1" in diameter, putting them in a socket, sticking a 50 cal armor piercing insert into the small hole in the middle of the washer, putting the socket/washer/ap insert assembly in a vise and closing the vise to make the washers into a cone shape and enlarging the center hole to 22 cal diameter by forcing the AP insert into the washer. For baffle spacers he had an old wrecked lawn chair which we cut out pieces from the arm rest tube (also 1" in outside diameter) to act as baffle spacers. A trophy shop the next road over engraved it for me. 1" length of 1/8" hardware cloth was rolled up and put into the blast chamber (made it noticeably quieter to our ears). All things done were while I was present. It works quite well but is heavier than modern designs with their lighter baffles (my baffles were stainless steel) and tube.

Note: Pensacola ATF office would not give me blank Form 1's, saying it's illegal to make a suppressor (why would they feel the need to lie to me?). I asked a MG dealer friend if he could get the forms for me, which he did.

Note: While it worked well, occasionally I'd hear a "whizzing sound" and the bullet would miss the target. Called AWC in Arizona and the owner asked my baffle hole diameter (.224, after all a .22 rimfire bullet is .223 I thought). He said too small of a hole with bullets touching the baffle, make it bigger and you'll never hear a noise difference and get better accuracy. Put baffles back into my socket/AP insert combination and made the holes slightly bigger. No more accuracy problems. With that kind of support from a suppressor company, I decided my next suppressor would be from them and I bought a Ruger77/22 with built-in suppressor made by AWC...it is extremely quiet and takes high velocity .22's down to subsonic.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Any more opinions on the QuietBore Form 1 kits? I'm gonna do a Form 1 for a 5.56 and seeing if I should go with the QuietBore kit or there is another site that I should look at...

Top Bottom