• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    **UPDATE** After researching, it seems best to do a Firearm Trust too. Has anyone got a Trust and can you advise me on how to do it w/o buying a kit online

Question?
    I'm wanting to build, not buy a sbr. Can I change the upper for different calibers under the same (fm1) sbr tax stamp or am I stuck with whatever caliber I get the stamp for?

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I am a-s-s-u-m-i-m-g the lower is that of an AR. That having been said, to put answer in another way: There is no Federal law prohibiting one from installing other uppers, since you can easily reconfigure your SBR to the original form it was registered in in seconds with no tools or gauges. No need to notify ATF. Note: If you subsequently ask to take it across state lines and list the new caliber/bbl length, ATF will deny permission, as that configuration does not match their records...simple, just list the as-registered configuration when taking across state lines and take your extra upper with you.

On the other hand if your SBR is something like a bolt action rifle, say a Remington 700, that one would need to use gunsmithing tools and gauges to change the caliber or bbl length such that the change would be considered Permanent, one would need to notify ATF of the new configuration so the NFA record can be updated and you sent a letter showing your SBR's new configuration.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a-s-s-u-m-i-m-g the lower is that of an AR. That having been said, to put answer in another way: There is no Federal law prohibiting one from installing other uppers, since you can easily reconfigure your SBR to the original form it was registered in in seconds with no tools or gauges. No need to notify ATF. Note: If you subsequently ask to take it across state lines and list the new caliber/bbl length, ATF will deny permission, as that configuration does not match their records...simple, just list the as-registered configuration when taking across state lines and take your extra upper with you.

On the other hand if your SBR is something like a bolt action rifle, say a Remington 700, that one would need to use gunsmithing tools and gauges to change the caliber or bbl length such that the change would be considered Permanent, one would need to notify ATF of the new configuration so the NFA record can be updated and you sent a letter showing your SBR's new configuration.

Even if it requires tools to change back it's still not a permanent modification because it can still be changed back. There is nothing in the law that says it has to be a toolless change. It wouldn't be as convenient, but in this case he is asking about changing uppers so it's probably not a bolt gun.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It’s a letter and a $0.55 stamp. Not a big deal. I did it after I sold off the 300blk upper and went 223 on my first SBR. Since I could no longer revert back to the original configuration as described on the approved NFA stamp.
    I can send you my template.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also, once approved, and you've built it, do you have to carry a copy of the fm1 w/tax stamp when out at the range shooting it? Seems like you would just as a ccw card, if carrying concealed.

Yes, I'm wanting to do an ar15 sbr. Thanks for the replies, I was confused on what action if any, you'd need to do if you changed the upper with a different short barrel and caliber.

And who is the best to buy/get a firearms trust ppwk from?

Thanks Dan, if you would pm your template to look over, I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom