• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    I like squirrel meat and like squirrel hunting...nice and relaxing. Went to neighbor's property (have hunting permission until the end of October there) across the road from me Saturday opening day. Saw one and got him. I then went on my property. Saw one and got him. Heard two others, but never could spot them. A good day. Stopped hunting when the breeze started swaying the tree leaves making it hard to spot any more squirrels. All cleaned and soaking in salter water in the fridge.

Daezee

Master
    Some of my best memories are of squirrel hunting with my grandfather and great uncle when I was a kid. That and rabbit hunting with Dad. Just pure fun.
    Yep, used to go with my grandfather and was always amazed how he could spot them. Parents bought me my first gun at age 10 Christmas, Winchester Model 67A .22. Finally, about age 12 or so, suddenly something clicked in my brain and I could spot them along with the Indiana groundhogs. I was then allowed to go out by myself hunting.

I use a CZ Bobwhite G2 20 gauge double bbl. Right bbl has improved cylinder choke tube with 7/8 or 1 oz of #6 shot (whatever I can find). Left had full choke tube and 3" 1 1/4" oz #6 shot for longer range shots. Used to use a .22 rimfire rifle, but as I aged, a shotgun became my friend. Tried some steel #7 shot, but #6 lead shot penetrates better.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Try some of the Federal Hi-bird #6. Patterns well and gives more reach out of my single (full) and sxs 12 (mod/full). Don't know if they make it for 20ga though. Ymmv.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom