• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You might consider selling yours for a premium, putting a few hundred $ in your pocket and buying a shooter.
    Although, collectors that are willing to pay crazy prices usually want the full package with box and papers.
    That's what I was thinking and it's a real shame that the family did not have the box or papers!

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You might consider selling yours for a premium, putting a few hundred $ in your pocket and buying a shooter.
    Although, collectors that are willing to pay crazy prices usually want the full package with box and papers.
    Even "shooters" aren't cheap anymore!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That's what I was thinking and it's a real shame that the family did not have the box or papers!

I’ve always wanted one of the John Wayne commemorative rifles made in 1981.
    With those collector rifles boxes are imperative.
    I found one not too far away that was within my price range. A guy had bought an estate collection.
    He did not have the box. The widow had thrown it away. Suddenly his price was more than I cared to pay.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's sad but estate sales are the best places to find things sometimes. They usually don't realize what they have for sale or it's value. The really sad part is somebody died for it to happen. I once told my wife that the most I ever paid for a gun was $100 and I've got a gut feeling that the day I die, every gun will be up for sale at the grand price of $100 :mad:

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ron, will you tell your wife to contact me on your passing? I have a stack of Ben Franklin's that she should look over.

Course, I may not be here either.

BTW, I discussed my guns with my daughter (executer) and told here to get with my best friend or brother-in-law for their true value before she tries to sell any of them after my death. Know what she said? She does not want to be intensively involved in their sale. She said if I am concerned with getting their true value then I should sell them myself now. I will say that she lives out of state.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ron, will you tell your wife to contact me on your passing? I have a stack of Ben Franklin's that she should look over.

BTW, I discussed my guns with my daughter (executer) and told here to get with my best friend or brother-in-law for their true value before she tries to sell any of them after my death. Know what she said? She does not want to be intensively involved in their sale. She said if I am concerned with getting their true value then I should sell them myself now. I will say that she lives out of state.
    I think your wife and my wife were cut from the same cloth. My wife said the same thing! My son asked, how do you start an estate sale?o_O

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

That brings up the question “at what point do we start culling the herd?”.
    Most people don’t have a clue about the worth of firearms and would be astonished at their value. I’ve helped a couple of widows sell their husband’s guns just as a favor because they asked me what they should do.
    My daughter has no clue about guns and I doubt she would put much thought into getting rid of them. I keep a list of all my guns and their worth but it would take effort to get those prices. Much easier to take them into a gun shop and be at their mercy.
    Makes me sick to think about it.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes it does. My family would not put any effort into it and would probably be happy with anything offered. :mad:

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a wheel gun that dates back to the late 70's. I was my first center fire handgun. It's nothing like a Python but has appreciated considerably in value. I put less than 250 rounds through it before I became "woke" and went semi-auto. The original blueing is perfect and the wood grips have nary a blemish or a nick. As a consequence, it has lived most of its life in my safe. In my old age I have now gone back to my "roots" and have acquired another wheel gun, actually two.

So, what do I do? Do I not shoot it and keep it pristine and leave it for my heirs to dispose of at whatever they deem is a "reasonable" price after I am gone. Or do I keep it and shoot it? Or, do I sell it now and get the current inflated, at least a true value for the gun?

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a wheel gun that dates back to the late 70's. I was my first center fire handgun. It's nothing like a Python but has appreciated considerably in value. I put less than 250 rounds through it before I became "woke" and went semi-auto. The original blueing is perfect and the wood grips have nary a blemish or a nick. As a consequence, it has lived most of its life in my safe. In my old age I have now gone back to my "roots" and have acquired another wheel gun, actually two.

So, what do I do? Do I not shoot it and keep it pristine and leave it for my heirs to dispose of at whatever they deem is a "reasonable" price after I am gone. Or do I keep it and shoot it? Or, do I sell it now and get the current inflated, at least a true value for the gun?
    I am in the same situation. It is a very hard decision to make and I am still undecided. Thanks to all of you who already offered their opinion. See post #18

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As far as that 686 goes, honestly you think but don’t know that it’s never been shot?
    if it were me, fire away. That fact it’s excellent condition just means you bought a like new 686 that doesn’t have a lock or mim parts.

I guess the question is did you buy it to shoot it or to keep it in a safe?
    I’d of already shot the thing, bought leather for it and decided a roll it can fill.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have taken it to two different gunsmiths in my area and they both confirmed that it has never been fired. They both advised me not to shoot it because it is a no dash and highly sought after in that condition. One of them offered me $1500 for it. I am thinking very hard about selling it to him. I bought it as a shooter but didn't know that it was somebody's safe queen for the past 34 years. I don't know why the original owner never shot it but his family put it up at an estate sale and I bought it because 1. It was a decent price and 2. I liked the looks of it and thought it was a shooter and planned on shooting it. It was after I got it that I found out that it is 100% pristine and looks like it was made yesterday and has not had the S&W mod done to it. It is also factory bright mirror polished by the S&W performance center which is rare. That's when I decided to take it to a couple of gunsmiths for their opinions. The family is still looking for the box and paperwork. In the mean time I just bought another 686 which I know is a shooter and I'm enjoying that one. I do appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

Last edited:

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As far as that 686 goes, honestly you think but don’t know that it’s never been shot?
    if it were me, fire away. That fact it’s excellent condition just means you bought a like new 686 that doesn’t have a lock or mim parts.

I guess the question is did you buy it to shoot it or to keep it in a safe?
    I’d of already shot the thing, bought leather for it and decided a roll it can fill.
    I have taken it to two different gunsmiths in my area and they both confirmed that it has never been fired. They both advised me not to shoot it because it is a no dash and highly sought after in that condition. One of them offered me $1500 for it. I am thinking very hard about selling it to him. I bought it as a shooter but didn't know that it was somebody's safe queen for the past 34 years. I don't know why the original owner never shot it but his family put it up at an estate sale and I bought it because 1. It was a decent price and 2. I liked the looks of it and thought it was a shooter and planned on shooting it. It was after I got it that I found out that it is 100% pristine and looks like it was made yesterday and has not had the S&W mod done to it. It is also factory bright mirror polished by the S&W performance center which is rare. That's when I decided to take it to a couple of gunsmiths for their opinions. The family is still looking for the box and paperwork. In the mean time I just bought another 686 which I know is a shooter and I'm enjoying that one. I do appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom