• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    yeah I do not like open carry, nor really permitless carry. I understand the arguments but the thought of anyone carrying anywhere with no training seems dangerous and reckless to me. Yes I carry 24/7, concealed and have for a very long time, but looking at the general population and saying, strap them on boys and girls, no experience, no training, it scares me
    But they let COPS carry with no apparent training or experience, so...

tomabbate

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I'm pleasantly surprised this is moving forward while also suspecting it will not come into being for fear of scaring off the tourists. We'll see.
    Yes the $ tourists bring in is huge. I think open carry such as the beach or poolside would scare many family away. I’ve no research to back this up just my opinion

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

tomabbate

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah I do not like open carry, nor really permitless carry. I understand the arguments but the thought of anyone carrying anywhere with no training seems dangerous and reckless to me. Yes I carry 24/7, concealed and have for a very long time, but looking at the general population and saying, strap them on boys and girls, no experience, no training, it scares me
    It’s insane not to require a safety/firing course. Common Sense. I’m very carrying concealed

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not arguing/picking a fight with you Frank, but I think the gist of the matter is, the default government/LE stance should be the majority of Americans are law-abiding, and safe, and therefore capable of owning and operating any device/item, period. Yes, I 110% agree there are poeple out there that shouldn't be driving car, owning a "gun," voting; some shouldn't be allowed to have a computer, IMO. But I do support Liberty as our Founders envisioned it; not what the establishment has bastdardized the word into meaning. I digress.

IMO, we should all, by default, be viewed/treated as trustworthy and not some type of criminal/potential criminal/enemy of the state/lunatic about to go over the edge simply because we don't ascribe to and/or agree with the establishment's/benefactor's views; Group-think. Remember, none of us is as dumb as all of us.

I've experienced fanatics up close and personal; ain't skeered. Up front, and my opinion is certainly biased/jaded. I've been around firearms, and better, my entire adult life, so a person with a "small arm" doesn't mean jack to me. Still, my enduring question remains: Why can government/LE not trust the average American to own/operate whatever they so desire?

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes the $ tourists bring in is huge. I think open carry such as the beach or poolside would scare many family away. I’ve no research to back this up just my opinion
    My personal experiences to date leads me to believe we are both more right than wrong.

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As a former cop.... taking cops to qual at the range is like taking a five year old to the dentist. They'll kick and scream since they don't want to go.
    I actually thought Rossi was being sarcastic at first : )

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I actually thought Rossi was being sarcastic at first : )
    Nope, I stand by what I said. I'm thinking the Panhandle mentality is different. I enjoyed "The Range". It was a break of sorts for me.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nope, I stand by what I said. I'm thinking the Panhandle mentality is different. I enjoyed "The Range". It was a break of sorts for me.
    As do I...

The "training and experience" is not apparent if:

16 cops fire 150 rounds, and only hit the suspect twice, but hit other officers three times.

The agent does a back-flip at a bar, loses his firearm, then shoots a patron when he picks it up.

A cop is chasing a suspect, and shoots himself during the chase.

Understand that I was responding to FrankT, who said:

"yeah I do not like open carry, nor really permitless carry. I understand the arguments but the thought of anyone carrying anywhere with no training seems dangerous and reckless to me. Yes I carry 24/7, concealed and have for a very long time, but looking at the general population and saying, strap them on boys and girls, no experience, no training, it scares me"

My original response being:

"But they let COPS carry with no apparent training or experience, so... "

And, in response to Frank, I could have brought up the fact that cops open carry, for some strange reason, and since the only difference between a cop and myself is the clothes they wear, why isn't concealed carry the best option for them, as well?

I might decide to open carry when I leave the house because I know there will be no one else where I'm going.
    A cop, on the other hand, might end up in a crowded biker bar on his first call... shouldn't they "take advantage" of the "tactical benefits" of concealed carry as well?

I've also come to this conclusion:

When people are afraid that they might do something stupid if they are allowed to decide whether open or concealed carry is appropriate in any given situation, and thus depend on the government to dictate how they should carry, MAYBE we should just
    stick with the concealed-carry permit system. Or MAYBE people with such deficient decision-making skills shouldn't be allowed to carry either way in the first place! It's not how they carry that "scares" me (to quote Frank), it's WHAT they are carrying! : )

e.g.,
    should people who don't know whether they should drive on the road or on the water be driving cars? Then why should people who don't know whether they should carry open or concealed be carrying guns?!?

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    As do I...

The "training and experience" is not apparent if:

16 cops fire 150 rounds, and only hit the suspect twice, but hit other officers three times.

The agent does a back-flip at a bar, loses his firearm, then shoots a patron when he picks it up.

A cop is chasing a suspect, and shoots himself during the chase.

Understand that I was responding to FrankT, who said:

"yeah I do not like open carry, nor really permitless carry. I understand the arguments but the thought of anyone carrying anywhere with no training seems dangerous and reckless to me. Yes I carry 24/7, concealed and have for a very long time, but looking at the general population and saying, strap them on boys and girls, no experience, no training, it scares me"

My original response being:

"But they let COPS carry with no apparent training or experience, so... "

And, in response to Frank, I could have brought up the fact that cops open carry, for some strange reason, and since the only difference between a cop and myself is the clothes they wear, why isn't concealed carry the best option for them, as well?

I might decide to open carry when I leave the house because I know there will be no one else where I'm going.
    A cop, on the other hand, might end up in a crowded biker bar on his first call... shouldn't they "take advantage" of the "tactical benefits" of concealed carry as well?

I've also come to this conclusion:

When people are afraid that they might do something stupid if they are allowed to decide whether open or concealed carry is appropriate in any given situation, and thus depend on the government to dictate how they should carry, MAYBE we should just
    stick with the concealed-carry permit system. Or MAYBE people with such deficient decision-making skills shouldn't be allowed to carry either way in the first place! It's not how they carry that "scares" me (to quote Frank), it's WHAT they are carrying! : )

e.g.,
    should people who don't know whether they should drive on the road or on the water be driving cars? Then why should people who don't know whether they should carry open or concealed be carrying guns?!?
    Every Officer is an Individual.

Spare the Broad Brush Judgement.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yep. I'm pleasantly surprised this is moving forward while also suspecting it will not come into being for fear of scaring off the tourists. We'll see.
    Yep. This is the reason that Florida doesn't have open carry. We are only 1 of 5 states that do not allow it.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Every Officer is an Individual.

Spare the Broad Brush Judgement.
    Every civilian is an individual.

Strange you didn't bother to point this out to Frank : )

Which was my point in responding to him. Generally speaking, civilians are idiots. Generally speaking, cops are idiots. This is true, because the only difference is the clothes they wear.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As I just said elsewhere:

"If legislators think Floridians are too stupid to understand when either open or concealed carry is most appropriate... HOW IS PERMITLESS CONCEALED CARRY GOING TO FIX THAT?"

Fix stupid, I mean? If the "general population" is that incompetent, maybe we should just keep the permit requirement. i.e.,

"You're too stupid to decide for yourself how to carry, so we're just going to let you carry concealed only, with or without a permit. Because, remember, you're idiots who can't be trusted to make intelligent decisions on your own!"

WHAT?!? Then why are we allowed to carry firearms at all?

Top Bottom