• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New POW/MIA flag, finally arrived. Need to do some adjustments to the clips and the rope length. The US flag keeps going behind the halyard some how. So I might have the POW/MIA flag clips slightly off, or too much slack, or both.

Didn't have that issue until I decided to fly a second flag from the pole. Also didn't have that issue years ago when flying two flags from the same pole.

Regardless it looks pretty damn good, and like some on here, my flags are double sided, embroidered flags, not silkscreen flags.

20200531_120118.jpg
    20190519_150412.jpg

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A real thing of beauty sir.
    I applaud you. --- SAWMAN

Thank you SAWMAN.......

We had to recently add a galvanized pipe, the entire length (Above and below ground), to add some rigidity to the pole. The pole is rated for a 3x5 versus 4x6 flag, plus the eagle topper and solar light made the top whip around like an old fiberglass CB antenna on the highway. Now it'll withstand some serious winds, but not Hurricane Michael winds.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The trouble with flying a USA flag is that some of those that display it are too lazy or ignorant to give it the respect that rules require.
    Many will not illuminate or take it down.

https://www.aflag.com/flag-etiquette/
    General Flag Display

It is the universal custom to display the American flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The trouble with flying a USA flag is that some of those that display it are too lazy or ignorant to give it the respect that rules require.
    Many will not illuminate or take it down.

https://www.aflag.com/flag-etiquette/

Yeah I see that a lot and it pisses me off. Mine has always been illuminated since day one. When the flag starts to fade I get a new one ready. If a flag becomes tattered it's replaced. All old flags are given to the VFW for proper disposal.

Years ago I had a ocean going tug boat Captain that lived across the street from us he could see the flags from the highway when he got back into town. Stated he knew he was home when he could see the flags. At the time I was flying the US and POW/MIA flags from separate poles.

He remarked to me one time that "The flags are the first to greet me when I come home after being at sea, and they greet me every morning when I'm home, I couldn't ask for a better view."

So he felt they were as much his flags as mine. He would always order extra flags, when he ordered them for his tug, and when I was on deployments he'd replaced the flags as needed, and if I was home he'd drop the flags off. This went on for damn near 15 years, until he moved. I never had to pay for a replacement flag during that time.

Last edited:

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    That is definitely a beautiful set up. WOW.

Top Bottom