• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So I’ researching my next optic for a 5.56 ar 16” barrel. I have moved away from red dots due to astigmatism. I have and really like the newer primary arms microprism slx 1x prism. Works very well for 0-100 yards and I can push it to 200 pretty ok. But I feel I need a little help at the 300-400 maybe 500 yard range. 300 is most common will only get to 500 occasionally.

With that said Im looking at the primary arms 3x slx micro prism and the bushnell 1-4x24 ffp with btr 1 reticle.
    I like the primary arms because its small, lightweight, does not give a “tube effect” like a lvpo, and has a set magnification so I dont have to worry with switching or being on the wrong mag for bdc like a sfp scope. But is 3x too slow up close, and is 3x enough for distance?

I like the bushnell scope cause its shorter and light than the bigger 1-6 or 1-8 lvpo options and has less “tube effect” On 1x the reticle looks and acts like a big red dot and at 4x it gives what seems to be a nice bdc reticle for 5.56.

Prices between the two are negligible by the time I get a mount for the bushnell. The primary arms comes with mount.
    I have held and looked through the bushnell with it mounted on a ar, but not the 3x microprism. I currently run the 1x microprism.
    I have not shot with either the bushnell or the 3x. Any insight or experience is appreciated

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I just bought a PA slx 1x micro prism. It's super crisp to look thru and has auto awake. Which is great. But, I was told you could use irons with it. But so far it makes my front post seem shifted thru it to one side. I also tried to magnify it and it didn't seem to to work. I have to tinker more with it but haven't had the time. You're more than welcome to come and check mine out before buying tho. I chose the green ACCSS reticle

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Does that have the diopter adjustment?
    Yes. When I wrote PSA they said to try that also. But I've wound it in and out all the way and it don't seem to move the front post, but just adjusts the clarity of the reticle. I have a few things to test before saying it's "bad" first tho. I found a good deal on a BOG deathgrip tripod. And waiting for another mount to arrive that has built in irons u can see under the mount. If that works I won't care about the image shift of the front sight. If it don't I'll tinker more with that

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes. When I wrote PSA they said to try that also. But I've wound it in and out all the way and it don't seem to move the front post, but just adjusts the clarity of the reticle. I have a few things to test before saying it's "bad" first tho. I found a good deal on a BOG deathgrip tripod. And waiting for another mount to arrive that has built in irons u can see under the mount. If that works I won't care about the image shift of the front sight. If it don't I'll tinker more with that

Sorry--asking only because I have astigmatism and need diopter adjust. How does it work in your opinion (outside the issue you're having with irons)?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    It's a really bad shift tho. So bad that I have to move the rear sight nearly all the way to the left to line the posts up with the reticle. And that just don't feel right lol. So I'll have to test it. I just got my first LVPO too. So when the new mount arrives I plan to take them all out and sit and figure it all out. I got a Vortex strike eagle 1-8 and so far I like it the best out of them all. But it's huge tho compared to the rest. I'm tempted to put it on my Canbrake but man it will be as big as the gun itself nearly lol. So the LVPO may have to go to my 556, 350, or 308. I have an idea to fix the sight issue tho. Waiting for it to come in the mail. Bought a cheap unity tactical clone mount that has built in irons u peep at under the scope. It's a tiny sight radius tho. So I'm thinking I may remove the front sight out of it, then use just it's rear sight to align with my magpul sight. This should fix the issue but it's going to be a super tall mount. It should be in by next week
    2ffaf8ac0de9d7d745761944c159a800.jpg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sorry--asking only because I have astigmatism and need diopter adjust. How does it work in your opinion (outside the issue you're having with irons)?
    Oh, aside from the irons issue it's amazing. I even have a killflash on it and it still seems pretty clear. What's nice about the ACSS system tho is, even if it does blur a tiny bit still it won't matter much. Because you use the tip of the chevron to aim and it's actually below the target and out of the way. (Until you have to use it as a BDC tho that is and aim high). But yeah it's a way crisper reticle. Just as crisp as my new LVPO. I too have astigmatism and it's why I went these routes

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got a Vortex strike eagle 1-8 and so far I like it the best out of them all. But it's huge tho compared to the rest.

Seems to be the trend. Get you a Nighforce. It'll be bigger than the gun and you'll have a huge NF branded hole in your pocket.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The day I got the scope I took it out at dusk to sight it all in including the laser etc. Bit yeah wasted a ton of time and ammo. I had my irons pre set. So I adjusted my dot to them. And when I shot I couldn't hit crap. I was like wtf lol. Took forever to walk the dot way back to start hitting. Then I got very confused when I looked at my irons. They was about 6 inches off center at like 20 feet. Which is a ton lol. So yeah I wrapped it all up until I got a proper tripod and now waiting on a mount. Customer service seemed to imply you can use irons and magnifier no problem and said yeah just try the diopter. But after reading online I see people say you can use irons but only if they're lined up after the scope is on. Which I don't like. Because if the scope breaks I want to be able to remove it and use irons that are independently zeroed. If that makes sense. But I know alot of people are wanting these now and they're not exactly a cheap scope. So if anyone wants to preview mine they can before buying. I won't mind. But I'm starting to think these will be best for a gun that you plan to run naked with just an optic. But I want both on my defensive guns. I would just get a set of 45 offset irons but I have a flashlight there. Anyways alot of info and long story but that's what I'm dealing with atm with this scope. It does come with like 10 different mounting configurations too tho. Which is very nice.

Reactions: WRM

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Seems to be the trend. Get you a Nighforce. It'll be bigger than the gun and you'll have a huge NF branded hole in your pocket.
    Lol ikr. My brother insists on swvarsky or however you spell that. His scope is like 2500 bucks lol. Or more prolly. He can see in dark nearly tho with it he says. I been meaning to check it out

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lol ikr. My brother insists on swvarsky or however you spell that. His scope is like 2500 bucks lol. Or more prolly. He can see in dark nearly tho with it he says. I been meaning to check it out

I've got an older Kahles (now owned by Swaro) with a 56mm objective. Hard to get it dark enough you can't shoot with it.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But I'm starting to think these will be best for a gun that you plan to run naked with just an optic.

I'm thinking I'll run mine on a QD mount and just have pop up irons. By the time you get in a range I can really use irons, you might bout as well point and "click".

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will say for a dot, I got the Burris FF 4. Way better than my Trijs. If your astigmatism is mild (unlike mine) it'll probably work great.

I'll be happy to bring the Burris if you want to see it. I would like to take a look at that PA. In other words--I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Let the thread expand!!

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I will say for a dot, I got the Burris FF 4. Way better than my Trijs. If your astigmatism is mild (unlike mine) it'll probably work great.

I'll be happy to bring the Burris if you want to see it. I would like to take a look at that PA. In other words--I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Let the thread expand!!
    Sure. I have my own range also. I have a few other optics too. Romeo4t, zero, 5, maybe more I can't think of. I'd like to see that trij you mention and compare it to mine also. I have dual illuminated one you'll love. It's crystal clear

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure. I have my own range also. I have a few other optics too. Romeo4t, zero, 5, maybe more I can't think of. I'd like to see that trij you mention and compare it to mine also. I have dual illuminated one you'll love. It's crystal clear

Sure---I'll just bring em all. Two of the self illuminated Trijs (dot and triangle), MRO, and the Burris.

And to be clear--I never had an issue with any of he Trijs until my astigmatism got bad. Now, they are pretty well unusable.

The FF is much better, but still not clear for me--in my right eye. Much clearer in my left, as astigmatism not as bad in that one (of course).

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Back to the op. I have the same type scope except it's a normal nikkon. The 20mm sucks in low light. Dusk, dawn etc. Go larger. Unsuitable for low light deer hunting even on 1x. ( Hense Unsuitable for people hunting) One of the reasons I use them (prism) for live game, if ya can't trust it to put food on the table, why would you bet your life on it?? YMMV.

Top Bottom