• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shovelhead

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OK as many have seen my listings and the fact I'm in Sarasota prompted me to look for alternative methods of delivery. From what I've found you can as a non licensed FFL ship a long gun to a non license FFL buyer within the state of Florida. UPS ground, FedX overnight or snail mail registered USPS. No outside labeling (firearm) required). I know this works in Georgia but I'm new to FL..... I dont usually require ID or a bill of sale but as a CYA I think it prudent in my situation. This would help with the face to face and shipping eliminating FFL fees for the buyer. Just to clarify not hand guns... only long guns

Shovelhead

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pretty sure you can’t ship a long gun to someone else but I’ll let an ffl weigh in @Little Jack's Guns
    Found out Florida resident to Florida resident does NOT require an FFL

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(32), 922(g)(8) and 925(a)(1)]
    (B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m no expert but the above text says shipping is not an issue. But is the shipping for a sale an issue? I know it sounds redundant but is there a difference in shipping someone a gun and shipping someone a gun for a sale?

Shovelhead

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m no expert but the above text says shipping is not an issue. But is the shipping for a sale an issue? I know it sounds redundant but is there a difference in shipping someone a gun and shipping someone a gun for a sale?
    Shipping to another person would be a sale or gift. Both residents of Florida is a requirement. i.e. If I had a long gun as a gift to my brother in Alabama then it must go through an FFL. Also note I could mail my long gun to a a WY address to 'myself' say for transporting on a hunt in WY. Send your rifle to a guides address instead of carrying baggage at cost on an airline.

On a second thought say you have a stripped or built AR lower which usually would require FFL Why couldnt two FL residents ship in the same manner????

Last edited:

Shovelhead

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    More info:

Last edited:

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really should stay out of this one cause these discussions get testy and I’ll let those with FFL’s weigh in! I will say however that everything is “legal” till you get caught!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I really should stay out of this one cause these discussions get testy and I’ll let those with FFL’s weigh in! I will say however that everything is “legal” till you get caught!
    If it's legal you shouldn't have to worry about getting caught?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I knew I had seen somewhere that it was legal to mail a long gun to a non-FFL in Florida but I mentioned it on another thread (may have been one of yours) and people told me I was wrong.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Following for science and knowledge...

*I assumed it was shipping to a gunsmith or similar was allowed without FFL, but not from individual to individual

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Following for science and knowledge...

*I assumed it was shipping to a gunsmith or similar was allowed without FFL, but not from individual to individual
    In Florida you have to have an ffl to hold someone else’s gun as a “gunsmith” or other commercial reason.

JohnnyRebel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would appear the pistol restriction only applies to the US Postal Service. In the statute on page one it states that common or contract carriers
    (FedEx, UPS, etc.) can be used for pistols or rifles.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It would appear the pistol restriction only applies to the US Postal Service. In the statute on page one it states that common or contract carriers
    (FedEx, UPS, etc.) can be used for pistols or rifles.

It does... IIRC an FFL holder can use USPS but not non-FFL holders.

While UPS ships handguns, our local Hub won't do it unless you are shipping to an FFL or Mfg. for return/repair, and even then, they want a copy of the FFL.

Some years ago I shipped my SAGE Stocked M1A rifle directly back to S.I.E. for trigger housing milling and it was a complete shit show.

Don't know if it's UPS wide or just local BS. While you can show people the regulations from their own company all you want, it's the person behind the counter that's going to get the last word.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would think that to make sure the receiving party of shot gun or rifle is a florida resident of proper age and non felon you might just want to have it sent through an FFL. I guess if your hell bent on doing it without maybe you should ask for a copy of the DL to confirm age and state of resident.

MaxNr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shipped a Marlin 45/70 FL to my bro/in/law in Minn, UPS ground. The only trouble was no UPS in S.R. would take it. The only UPS that could take it was in P'cola on the W side. The cost for a hand gun was awsome.

Top Bottom