DK Firearms

Faxon about barrel coatings, treatments, and rifling procedures.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Worth watching
    InRangeTV

We speak with Nathanial from Faxon regarding barrels, barrel manufacturing, chrome lining versus nitride and more. If you're interested in learning what really is going on with rifle barrels, then this is the video for you! 1:20 Difference between chrome lining and nitride treatment. 3:40 High Power and chrome lined barrels being “less accurate”? Stainless barrels for accuracy, accepting greater wear and tear. History of chrome lining basics. Nitride is not a lining, it’s a treatment. 6:50 When did the nitride process come to the market? 8:00 Chrome lining still makes more sense for machineguns. 9:10 The ACR took an unfair hit from the consumer base for not having a chrome lined barrel? 11:05 Nitride process is beneficial to other components besides just the barrel. 12:21 Is this related to stellite? The difficulty of manufacturing a stellite enhanced barrel. 13:50 What is QPQ, etc? 15:10 Nitride process is very similar to the older 1800’s process of case hardening. What is case hardening? 16:05 How deep does the nitride process penetrate into the steel? Case hardening is usually only a superficial layer, for example. 17:20 Nitride for military arms? 18:15 Extreme example of high velocity projectiles, is that better with chrome or nitride? 19:44 Stainless steel that’s used for barrels isn’t really the “stainless steel” we think it is. Why are stainless barrels considered more accurate? 20:54 Discussion about different methods of rifling a barrel. 27:10 Cold Hammer Forging invented by Germans in WW2 to accelerate barrel manufacturing. USA used cut rifling primarily during WW2 and those machines are still being used today. 27:45 What is cut rifling? 29:00 Replacing a cutting bit for cut rifling, what about button rifling? Deep dive into button rifling process. 29:50 Discussion about progressive twist rifling. 31:41 Accuracy then and now, what is acceptable? 34:05 Original M16 pencil barrels, how were they manufactured?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Eventually I am interested in their pencil barrels for an AR pistol maybe. I would like to have very light wt. I will wait to see how the 2020 elections go.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Attachments

• 20200327_213851.jpg
      20200327_213851.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 220
    Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like Faxon barrels. I'm currently running two 11.5" gunner barrels and one 16" lightweight. The 11.5 barrels are 1.5moa barrels and I've had no issues hitting full size IPSC steel out to 400 yards with them. I've ran the 16" lightweight out to 700.

Top Bottom