• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    ^^^Thanks. I've owned it some 25 years and definitely shoot it (CCI Standard Velocity only) but I've never been big on making videos.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For smith and wesson: Scandium alloys.
    View attachment 95412
    Thank you for posting the patent. Interesting to see the confirmation that the S&W "Scandium" guns are far under 1% scandium, as many seem to think that they actually are scandium as the main material.

My husband says it's a very good aluminum alloy, but is an aluminum.

He also noticed that the Patent Office allowed no claims of inventing anything except an extremely narrowed-down heat treatment method. It's in fact a heat-treatment patent rather than a firearm design patent.

Having said all that it would have been exciting to me as a "civilian" market to see them have a copie of the Colt Mustang Plus 'll in that material - why did they let a foreign company, Sig, get all the business with the P238 and P938 Legion and regular series?
    For that matter, why didn't Colt just continue to make their Mustang Plus 'll with fiber optic sights and red dot options which is where the current technology and progress in firearms is so hot: the sights market?

I like iron sights but I thin the end for that is near. There are guns already coming with red dot sights only.

Sig USA is actually dedicating a division to develop their red dot sights.

I resent that neither Colt nor SW nor Remington made a subcompact of the 1911 to fit the modern market and Sig dominated that by copying the Colt gun.
    I also love the quality of the S&W pistols of the 80s made of steel. Some had a frame mounted safety, unfortunately but the quality was still palpable.

I just don't see that now, yet.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^Thanks. I've owned it some 25 years and definitely shoot it (CCI Standard Velocity only) but I've never been big on making videos.
    I almost bought that gun.
    I would still buy it.
    A cell phone video will suffice.
    Just ask someone at the range ( Millennial or Gen Z preferably ) to record it for you!

One day I will have a collection and this gun will be in it - and the 44 mag revolver beauty you just bought also!! Ha! Congratulations, Sir!

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I almost bought that gun.
    I would still buy it.
    A cell phone video will suffice.
    Just ask someone at the range ( Millennial or Gen Z preferably ) to record it for you!

One day I will have a collection and this gun will be in it - and the 44 mag revolver beauty you just bought also!! Ha! Congratulations, Sir!
    You might buy one, but you can't have mine until I'm dead. And sorry, I don't do videos.:rolleyes:
    The revolver I recently bought is a S&W Model 24, .44 Special :)

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had always wondered how the barrel crown could make such a big difference as the bullet doesn't touch it, it certainly can't matter while it's in the barrel and once it's left it why should it care, but in this video you can see that shortly after the 45 Auto bullet leaves the barrel it gets quite the smack from expanding gases. It does make sense that if that's asymmetrically disturbed, that would cause problems.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Thank you for posting the patent. Interesting to see the confirmation that the S&W "Scandium" guns are far under 1% scandium, as many seem to think that they actually are scandium as the main material.

My husband says it's a very good aluminum alloy, but is an aluminum.

He also noticed that the Patent Office allowed no claims of inventing anything except an extremely narrowed-down heat treatment method. It's in fact a heat-treatment patent rather than a firearm design patent.

Having said all that it would have been exciting to me as a "civilian" market to see them have a copie of the Colt Mustang Plus 'll in that material - why did they let a foreign company, Sig, get all the business with the P238 and P938 Legion and regular series?
    For that matter, why didn't Colt just continue to make their Mustang Plus 'll with fiber optic sights and red dot options which is where the current technology and progress in firearms is so hot: the sights market?

I like iron sights but I thin the end for that is near. There are guns already coming with red dot sights only.

Sig USA is actually dedicating a division to develop their red dot sights.

I resent that neither Colt nor SW nor Remington made a subcompact of the 1911 to fit the modern market and Sig dominated that by copying the Colt gun.
    I also love the quality of the S&W pistols of the 80s made of steel. Some had a frame mounted safety, unfortunately but the quality was still palpable.

I just don't see that now, yet.
    A couple years ago Wilson Combat made a new steel pistol for $2,000 that was almost a mirror copy of one my $350 S&W 659's. I just had to laugh at Wilson. Plenty of the old Smith's still around, just gotta look. There's no reason to pay $2,000

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A couple years ago Wilson Combat made a new steel pistol for $2,000 that was almost a mirror copy of one my $350 S&W 659's. I just had to laugh at Wilson. Plenty of the old Smith's still around, just gotta look. There's no reason to pay $2,000
    I really liked that Nye but @5K for a CCW I could start a small farm with that.
    Looking at a company called Akai custom guns.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I had always wondered how the barrel crown could make such a big difference as the bullet doesn't touch it, it certainly can't matter while it's in the barrel and once it's left it why should it care, but in this video you can see that shortly after the 45 Auto bullet leaves the barrel it gets quite the smack from expanding gases. It does make sense that if that's asymmetrically disturbed, that would cause problems.

I always get a kick out of watching slow motion video of rifle barrels flopping around, like the AK in this one

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are all Akai guns $3,000? Wow!
    You are right. That is still too much.
    Husband said; "Yes, but that is cheaper than 5K"
    I think my husband really likes/wants a race 1911.

I will be happy with a CZ Orange TS in 9mm.
    Used is abt $1500.
    We have an HK Mark 23.
    One.He'll.OfaGun.
    But the trigger is, well, HK. ( OK )
    The trigger on the Grand Power P40L is better but I assume it is because it is a steel frame on the Grand Power V Polymer on the HK Mark 23.

Husband says that a high end gun back in the day would be something like $400 which when you count in inflation, today's prices would be $1600 to 2K.

A small shop today doesn"t have the economy of scale that was available to the bigger companies back when skilled machinests were plentifully available. So it's not surprising if a small shop now needs to charge $3000+.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Triarc is another American company:
    ( Less the AKai Custom)

Interesting to see all the booze bottles behind him, lol

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Triarc is another American company:
    ( Less the AKai Custom)

Interesting to see all the booze bottles behind him, lol

"It's a great gun, I love it, but I cant keep the bleeepity bleep bleep mags from falling apart. It's a great gun, I swear."

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have the money you can buy a Bugatti Chiron Super Sport. You may even learn to drive it well. The question is will you ever drive it to it's full capability?
    There's a parallel here to these high speed, low drag, big bucks "specialized/custom handguns". I do believe they are worth the price, but I'm past the physical point where I could approach their full potential and sure don't need it for bragging rights or "tool" comparisons. Lol. At present, if a $1K 1911 can shoot more accurately than I can wring out of it, why spend the money on a $3K 2011? I dare to say many service size handguns are more accurate then their average users. I think some people will buy a new handgun based on reported accuracy, yet they don't do physical body training that would enhance their shooting and inturn get the most out of their current firearms, training time & expense (probably something on the Web regarding this by now). We talk about "mindset" often but ignore the supporting structure.

Yes they're Pretty but I can't drive 300mph and don't care about looks driving 70. Lol

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have the money you can buy a Bugatti Chiron Super Sport. You may even learn to drive it well. The question is will you ever drive it to it's full capability?
    There's a parallel here to these high speed, low drag, big bucks "specialized/custom handguns". I do believe they are worth the price, but I'm past the physical point where I could approach their full potential and sure don't need it for bragging rights or "tool" comparisons. Lol. At present, if a $1K 1911 can shoot more accurately than I can wring out of it, why spend the money on a $3K 2011? I dare to say many service size handguns are more accurate then their average users. I think some people will buy a new handgun based on reported accuracy, yet they don't do physical body training that would enhance their shooting and inturn get the most out of their current firearms, training time & expense (probably something on the Web regarding this by now). We talk about "mindset" often but ignore the supporting structure.

Yes they're Pretty but I can't drive 300mph and don't care about looks driving 70. Lol
    You are changing the subject completely.
    The question was not about ostentation/showing off or race guns.
    It was why aren't American Big gun manufacturers producing quality and innovation anymore - and therefore if one wants to buy a gun with quality parts , good craftsmanship and a good trigger it is impossible to get an American gun below 3K?
    You can get a good, well made CZ - heck my Grand Power, a $700 gun has a great trigger and good enough parts and a rotating barrel ( so does the Beretta PX4 Storm ) and it is a pleasure to shoot and better than most American Big names modern guns I tried. The Beretta 92 is below 2K and it shows great quality and craftsmanship still.
    So why have Colt, Remington, S&W stopped producing good parts, well machined, good trigger, or some mechanical innovation guns?

Why, more importantly, have they stopped taking pride in their craftsmanship and American gun tradition?

On the subject of cars: you cannot drive in America ( inspire of endless miles of empty roads ) without the risk of getting a massive ticket.

I love driving and worked as a driver for 3 years.
    I would rather, like the guns, drive a car from the 70s and 80s at 80mph than a supercar at 300mph (SSC Tuatara.)

I would rather in fact drive a Datsun 270z at 70 mph than a 2010 Prius at 120 ( which I have and is a nothing experience ).

The American car industry is another example of how the average person living in America cannot get quality and a GOOD DRVING/SHOOTING experience at affordable prices.

That was my main point and the car experience further drives my point home ( pun intended).

Front wheel drive, automatic tranny, cheap parts, computerized automobiles are not driving.

I also should not need hours of training to be able to enjoy owning and shoot a mechanically well fitted and good trigger good quality parts gun. In fact the better shooting experience and confidence that problems and limits definitely aren't the gun can inspire more training and better shooting than when having only something that's compromised.

Will one truly push themselves as hard with a Kel-Tec as with a quality 2011? Or will they much sooner feel they've gone as far as they can?

And what if I want to pass a good piece of American history and tradition to my children?
    There is no modern American gun from a major manufacturer I could do that with. It would have to be an older gun. Also now costing from 2K and above.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "It's a great gun, I love it, but I cant keep the bleeepity bleep bleep mags from falling apart. It's a great gun, I swear."

Yeah! That concerned me, too. So the message is a 3K gun is not enough I have to stay in the 5K range if I don't want to have to buy parts to improve it.
    Exactly my point, right?

But that trigger was ".money" .

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To all reading this, honest question:

If your father left you a Kel-Tec, a Taurus and A Jimenez and he left your bother a Nighthawk, a Wilson Combat and a Cannot - how would you feel?

Leave money out of the equation just consider the guns themselves.

Who is the true heir? :)

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are changing the subject completely.
    The question was not about ostentation/showing off or race guns. .........
    (My edit for brevity)
    I wasn't addressing any of your issues/questions, didn't "Reply" to you. I was commenting on the "high dollar handgun videos". I clearly stated I believed they worth the money, and you may learn to shoot it welI. I then stated why I and probably others couldn't exersise them to their full potential. There's a difference between shoot well (your "enjoyment" probably fits in here) and shooting to the full potential of the gun.

Shooters have individual skill levels. If Results are limited by "equipment" then an upgrade is advantageous. If the Results are limited by the "shooters skills" an upgrade isn't a magic cure, they'll just have a large group with projectiles from a spendy gun. We see these folks who throw money down "to buy speed/accuracy" but don't work on the shooter skill improvement. On the Range we see their highly regarded ($) pistol but the resulting target would never be used in marketing. They blame the gun, of course! Lol VMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom