• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hound_dog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a marlin 1895gbl on the way and im about to order some ammo. So I was wondering what is some of the better all around factory loads for this caliber? Will be used as a truck/hunting gun.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the ranges are close and the game is under 400 lbs, I would go with the old fashioned mild 405 grain soft point at about 1200-1300 fps IIRC. The marlin 95 can handle much more powerful loads that will have heavier recoil.

Google factoid
    The original weight of the bullet was 405 gr and in 1879 added a new version with a 500 grain bullet. The ballistic data for the . 45-70 for four grain types of bullets muzzle velocity are 2,275 ft/s (300 gr JHP Strong), 2,069 ft/s (300 gr JHP Standard), 1,597 ft/s (300 gr lead), and 1,394 ft/s (405 gr).

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best factory round I have found in my 45-70 is the Federal Fusion. I shoot these out of my Henry All Weather 45-70.

I reload for my 45-70 though and shoot all kinds of loads out of it. It's just too dang expensive to shoot this gun without reloading for it. I can reload a good cast bullet for it for less than $0.75 per round.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I consider the 45-70 a "reloaders chambering". ANY ammo that you buy to feed your gun id gonna be expensive. Even the extremely light loaded cowboy action or SASS stuff.
    It also is not a plinker unless you reload. Besides the cost of ammo after about a dozen shots or so,your shoulder has had enough.
    I have been shooting,reloading for,and hunting with different 45-70 chambered guns for over 40 years. For the reloader,they will do anything and everything. From extremely mild . . to extremely wild.
    The most fun that I had with that chambering is with my single shots. Lots of versatility with loads,bullets,seating lengths (COAL), and etc. And depending on the action,can produce enough power to kill most anything on earth. I had a Marlin 1895 for years. I had the origional 22" bbl chopped to 16.5". It produced all the shorter range power needed.
    I have put the 405gr WFNGC (hardcast) bullets thru moose bear,and large hogs. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

hound_dog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Between this 45-70 and my grendel I do plan on starting reloading in the near future. For now I figured I'd stock a decent pile of factory, i found a brand with good availability and price that seemed interesting called Steinel, apart from a couple other big name ammo I ordered a couple hundred rounds from them to try. We'll see how It goes.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    it is over a dollar a round. Keep the empties for possible future reloading.

https://www.steinelammo.com/product/45-70-government-300gr-hornady-jhp-200rds-hotload/
    45/70 Government 300gr. Hornady JHP 200rds (High Power)

8 Reviews Ask A Question

$235.99

This very potent round is extremely accurate and consistent. During development, we struck virtually the same spot on a man-sized steel target…at 200 yards! Customers report consistent 1″ groups at 100 yards. Safe in all strong actions including modern lever guns, modern Sharps, High Walls, and single shots.
    NOT SAFE IN TRAPDOOR SPRINGFIELD RIFLES
    We have Trapdoor loads for this application. Other 45/70 options available here.
    200 Rounds

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    also keep in mind the Hornady cases with the FTX bullet are shorter to allow for their bullet. You might only want to load FTXs in those cases and leavve your others long.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have 40+ of these that I could sell you. Safe for the Marlin lever guns. Medium+ in power. Reloaded by me for my 1895 Marlin. 405 gr WFNGC ( hardcast) Cast Performance bullets. Will shoot thru most anything. ---- SAWMAN
    20200629_113630.jpg

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    also keep in mind the Hornady cases with the FTX bullet are shorter to allow for their bullet. You might only want to load FTXs in those cases and leavve your others long.

Yep, I would not plan to reload anything butthe FTX bullets in those. I don't buy any of the Hornady rounds for this reason.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    One of my 1895's had a front orange blade and a rear ghost ring.
    The other "longer" range gun had a Leupold VX-1 1-4X24 "turkey/ML scope on it. These scopes have a heavy duplex and are parallax free at 75yds. PERFECT!!
    Shooting a Hornady 350gr or a 405gr WFNGC,with the 16" bbls,I could hit a 4" plate at 100yds,rested. Just hold on top the plate and send it. My guns,for my purposes were zero'ed 1/2" LOW at 50yds. --- SAWMAN

hound_dog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update. I ordered 100 rds. of 300gr HP from defenderammunition.com at a great price, they shipped almost immediately and ammo was on my doorstep in 2 days, the ammo from steinel has yet to ship. After shooting some of the defender ammo and the home rolled stuff i got from sawman my shoulder is doing this weird twitchy thing. ;) This gun is awesome. Now waiting on my scope to come in so I can punish my shoulder again sighting it in.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom