APOD Firearms

Family came down to help build a shed and I took my dad to the range.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I haven't been on the forum much this week. My parents came down to visit and my dad and I have been building a shed. This afternoon, I took my dad to Element to go shoot some of my more fun guns (My dad was military and LE, but only shot standard AR's and Pistols). We were having a lot of fun shooting some 300 BO suppressed and un-suppressed, but we had some rounds fail to fire and eventually had stuck cases that are beyond my ability to just pull the charging handle back on. Its some factory reload ammo I got from a company and Ill not buy from them again, but in 20 rounds from them I had 3 perfect primer strikes with no explosion, and 2 stuck cases (The two AR's are sitting in my garage right now as I try to figure out how to unstick the rounds).

I'm not sure If I should sell the remaining ammo on here at basement prices for people to pull the bullets (Its lake City Brass) and use the components that can be salvaged or what the recommendation would be (I still have about 200 rounds). I prefer having my ammo go bang when I pull the bang switch and that failure rate annoyed me. Not quite as much as Pensacola traffic, but pretty close.

As far as the stuck casings... I don't know how to get them out. Does anyone with experience dealing with bad ammo know how to get them out?

Attachments

• IMG_2919.PNG
      IMG_2919.PNG
      3.1 MB · Views: 102
    • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.01.04 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.01.04 PM.png
      3.3 MB · Views: 95
    • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.01.41 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.01.41 PM.png
      3.1 MB · Views: 98
    • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.01.23 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.01.23 PM.png
      1.8 MB · Views: 92
    Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    300 is pricey right now and hard to find. I have a Rattler also. But got it fairly recently and haven't put many rounds thru it yet due to the price of ammo and it being scarce. But I'll let some reloader guy take ya up on the offer since I have some and you already said it could be trouble in mine also. But as far as the stuck cases.. u can't exactly "mortar" a Rattler and not want to have a heart attack cause they're pretty expensive too lol. You can YouTube how to mortar a regular AR and get stuck cases out tho in case ya want to know. But if I was you I'd take a wood dowel and and tap it with a hammer from above to try to pop em out thru the top of the barrel and back them out that way. If they're really.. really stuck in.. I'll let others weigh in on what's best that know more. But I've seen a video where a guy uses a grease gun to push them out. But ya need to install a grease fitting n stuff and was a pretty intense process getting the fitting installed etc. But figured I'd post and wish ya good luck and I'll keep an eye on this so if I run into the issue later with my Rattler I'll know how ya fixed it lol. So goodluck

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Always good to have the family in town. Glad you got some trigger time in with your Pop too! The family that shoots together, stays together... making memories buddy.

Starwarsmaster24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have found getting a copper rid from Lowe’s works. You can use steel but brass will do less damage to the barrel. Had a round get stuck back in March in my ar rifle and what I did to get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flounder Hounder

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I wonder if cooling the upper would help when tapping it out with a wooden dowel?
    You did say a case and not a live round, correct?

Starwarsmaster24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ya wood works too I just had a spent case in mine so brass worked best. But a live round ya wood would be better. Was the primer spent? Let me know in pm how I can help.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    it may not be all the way in battery when the extractor slipped off...might try sending the bolt forward hard or using the forward assist with your palm to get the extractor to lock onto the case then pull the charging handle back firmly

if you had a S/B body die the bullet would come through the die and you could resize the case without an issue or loosing components.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    it may not be all the way in battery when the extractor slipped off...might try sending the bolt forward hard or using the forward assist with your palm to get the extractor to lock onto the case then pull the charging handle back firmly

if you had a S/B body die the bullet would come through the die and you could resize the case without an issue or loosing components.
    I tried the forward assist, but I couldn't get it to fully seat the round either.
    I'm thinking the factory remanufactured are not of reliable quality - That's why I'm thinking Ill just sell them for parts basically. lol

I only feel comfortable reloading 9mm and straight walled cartridge's. I have the stuff for all the rifle rounds, but I'm new to reloading so I don't want to jump in the deep end with it.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    300 is pricey right now and hard to find. I have a Rattler also. But got it fairly recently and haven't put many rounds thru it yet due to the price of ammo and it being scarce. But I'll let some reloader guy take ya up on the offer since I have some and you already said it could be trouble in mine also. But as far as the stuck cases.. u can't exactly "mortar" a Rattler and not want to have a heart attack cause they're pretty expensive too lol. You can YouTube how to mortar a regular AR and get stuck cases out tho in case ya want to know. But if I was you I'd take a wood dowel and and tap it with a hammer from above to try to pop em out thru the top of the barrel and back them out that way. If they're really.. really stuck in.. I'll let others weigh in on what's best that know more. But I've seen a video where a guy uses a grease gun to push them out. But ya need to install a grease fitting n stuff and was a pretty intense process getting the fitting installed etc. But figured I'd post and wish ya good luck and I'll keep an eye on this so if I run into the issue later with my Rattler I'll know how ya fixed it lol. So goodluck

I still haven't been able to get a sig MCX in 300- These are all DI uppers. At the rate gun prices are going I may never be able to get one. lol
    I am glad I got a MPX when I could. :)

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I still haven't been able to get a sig MCX in 300- These are all DI uppers. At the rate gun prices are going I may never be able to get one. lol
    I am glad I got a MPX when I could. :)
    Oh well hell mortar that bad boy one if its DI. and yeah I have a MPX also.. but with a binary trigger lol. She's a beast!.

But yeah get you're extractor bit down onto the rounds. And put the gun in safe mode. And go find a wood step or something solid. And slam the rifle down buttfirst on it. Can't remember if ya have to hold back the charging handle as ya do it or not. But a good 3 or 4 whacks usually does the job. Be sure to keep your face away from barrel also as ya so this just to be safe. I'd do that with the one with the live round in it for sure. Don't poke it with a rod in barrel on the one with live ammo in chamber. The one with a spent case tho. Yes it's safe to use a dowel.. or copper rod on that rifle I'd say

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    YouTube how to mortar an AR. You'll see its pretty easy

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    In fact.. if ya like SIGs.. I'm near Foley Al. Not far from Pensacola. I have my own little range. But you're welcome to bring your MPX.. and other guns and shoot some of mine too. I have the MCX Rattler in 300. If ya wanna see what it's like. Also a 71i gen 2 308 SIG. And other neat toys. And if ya bring that ammo well see how it runs in mine. I have a Anderson 300 DI we can also test it in with as well

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A body die should be easy enough to use with some sizing wax. With all the places selling reman ammo out there now I see issues more and more. A body die doesn't have an expander and you can size a live round with it. It doesn't size the neck just the body.

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The first thing you should do is stop on the shed and go buy some cheaper than dirt solid concrete blocks to get that lumber off the ground.

Raise it up and block it before it gets to heavy!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It looks like in one pic that he may have 4X4s that it is anchored or raised with then back filled it a little.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Ya wood works too I just had a spent case in mine so brass worked best. But a live round ya wood would be better. Was the primer spent? Let me know in pm how I can help.

The benefits of having a solid cleaning rod versus a bore snake. Russians got it right. They retained the solid one piece strong steel cleaning rod under the barrel, with the gun at all times, just in case. I can't tell you how many flimsy M16 cleaning rod sections I have seen over the years that had completely stripped threads or were bent. I had to beat two stuck projectiles out of a Chinese milsurp SKS and a Romanian underfolder. Sold the rest of the 1,000 round lot of Wolf for scrap price of the components and with a warning. That was like 10 years ago, but there could be some still floating around. I should have pulled the projectiles on the whole lot

Last edited:

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    It looks like in one pic that he may have 4X4s that it is anchored or raised with then back filled it a little.

That's exactly what I did. I put 6 4x4 posts 3 feet into the ground and then backfilled under the shed.

Top Bottom