• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Personally, I keep all of my spare mags loaded and ready for action if the time ever comes that they are needed. I have read conflicting reports saying it was ok to keep them loaded because it doesn't cause much wear on the spring and that loading and unloading would cause more wear. Others say that it is bad to keep the spring of the mag compressed for long periods of time. What say you?:canada:

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    If my mags are open they are loaded. I do have 20-30 pmags still in the wrapper so obviously those aren't loaded. Pretty much all of my glock mags are loaded except for a couple that actually came in box.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Mine are all loaded, I'm not old enough to tell you if it will have ill effects on the springs yet, but it hasn't in the past 10 or so years.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I load only the ones I think i need at the time and rotate with my unloaded mags every 9-12 months or shoot them when I go to the range. You are right loading and unloading causes the wear.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    All mine are loaded. Just in case. I store them in my chest harness stowed away. If I need them I just grab my harness and I'm good to go for ar and pistol, along with an IFAC and a few other things.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    All loaded with defense ammo I assume right? I have 60+ Glock 15 and 17 rd. 9mm mags loaded up with Gold Dots and my wife just looks at me and shakes her head.. In fact out of all my Pmags and Glock mags I only leave my dedicated range mags unloaded..

Snow Bird

Master
    There are reports of 1911 mags being loaded for 20 years and worked just fine. (7 rounders)

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    All loaded with defense ammo I assume right? I have 60+ Glock 15 and 17 rd. 9mm mags loaded up with Gold Dots and my wife just looks at me and shakes her head.. In fact out of all my Pmags and Glock mags I only leave my dedicated range mags unloaded..

Just tell her, there is no such thing as too much ammo or guns.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Just tell her, there is no such thing as too much ammo or guns.

Oh she knows, just giving me a hard time. Never has she once ever given me any grief on any of the purchases I have made. Guns, ammo, fishing gear etc. It helps that she is into all the same stuff I like to do. Smart move on my part marrying a redneck from Kentucky. Still don't understand how she puts up with my ass.

fern870.jpg

Attachments

• fern870.jpg
      fern870.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 240

Dan1612

Master
    There are reports of 1911 mags being loaded for 20 years and worked just fine. (7 rounders)

Yes, I've personally seen this. The mag worked just fine.

One advantage of WC mags is that if they ever hiccup, just mail them back with a little note and they'll send you a new one. I've done this once. Pretty cool.

Load 'em up, boys!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer

yeah 60 loaded mags is a bit much, but I admire your thumbs

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    They are all 9mm Glock?

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Oh she knows, just giving me a hard time. Never has she once ever given me any grief on any of the purchases I have made. Guns, ammo, fishing gear etc. It helps that she is into all the same stuff I like to do. Smart move on my part marrying a redneck from Kentucky. Still don't understand how she puts up with my ass.

View attachment 23840

I keep all my mags loaded, I heard its better to keep the spring compressed the tighter the spring the better the release, but on a side note, looks like to picked up a winner too Justin. I will also post a pic of my shooter and mag loader as well.. I love those country Chics!!! So ya, keep those mags loaded. A unloaded mag is just that. UNLOADED..

Attachments

• DSCF3310.jpg
      DSCF3310.jpg
      371.1 KB · Views: 193

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well I have the 19 and 26, 3 mags loaded each and 2 of my 10 33rd mags loaded. I have spare 10, 15, 17 and 33 rders in a drawer empty most in the pkg still.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Well I have the 19 and 26, 3 mags loaded each and 2 of my 10 33rd mags loaded. I have spare 10, 15, 17 and 33 rders in a drawer empty most in the pkg still.

My 2 favorite Glock models. The 26 being my most favorite and also the one I shoot the best. Weird, I know.. Kinda regret trading my 26's off but I found myself carrying my Shield more. Will never get rid of any of my 19's or 17's though. Will prolly add a 34 or two in the near future as well...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I love popping in the 33 rd mag and running till empty, have the guide rod laser in mine.

Top Bottom