Evidently laws dont apply if someone feels "uncomfortable" -AKA hiker Arrested in TX

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman

Fletch

Master
    That guy was a total DB and talked his way into a ride downtown. Probably didn't end up being charged with anything but he should have just complied and not attempted to "educate" the cops on the the law. They very well may not know the law perfectly or be applying it correctly but that's an argument for a judge and you ain't going to win it on the street. Anyone who thinks that kind of moronic behavior makes the case for responsible gun ownership is sadly mistaken.

So what if the cops drive past him and later he starts shooting up cars and it's found out he was a mental case with an illegally obtained firearm? Then the cops didn't do their job right? Pure stupidity imo. The general public is not comfortable with citizens walking around in the open with black rifles. There is really no reason to do it in normal times. I'm a pro gun rights advocate but would find it strange if all my neighbors were toting ar15s when walking their dogs tomorrow morning. I knew what this video would look like before watching it as they are all the same. These idiots aren't helping the cause.

CCHGN

Banned
    3 million+ folks watching a veteran douche bag shame all veterans and gun owners. First for thinking it was a good idea to go on a hike with his 15 yrs old son dressed like he's in combat, pretending with his son to be on some "LRRP recon force march" and then not realizing that if he ever got approached by LE ( which would be inevitable), he'd have to hand over his guns until they deemed him legal. Finally by the way he defied and ridiculed the officers and showed his ignorance. Sheeshola....

Snow Bird

Master
    Kinda what I thought to CCHGN

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    I don't agree with his attitude....almost seems like he was inviting the confrontation - with the camera rolling.
    Just curious what would have happended if it had been a wood stock 10/22 slung off the shoulder.
    Again...I don't like the way he presented himself....kind of stupid to begin with ....BUT .....if he had not been stopped, cuffed and searched without commiting a crime....would he have been less beligerant?...probably.
    I don't know exactly where to place this one....because it might be a good idea to check out someone that looks like that.....but on the other hand where do you draw the line....can we stop,cuff,and detain anyone....even though they have broken no laws?....even though they may be giant morons.

adrenaline

Expert
    You guys are playing right into their game!!! If he was wing shooting, would he have been stopped???? Did ALL of you miss the sergeant saying "WE ARE EXEMPT FROM THE LAW"?????????????? Black rifle soooooooo much more dangerous than a 12 ga isn't it? I have done this EXACT thing a couple hundred times coming and going from duck, rabbit, and dove hunting on county roads and would have the same attitude if I was stopped with my shotgun. ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!!!!!! NO JUSTIFICATION!

adrenaline

Expert
    3 million+ folks watching a veteran douche bag shame all veterans and gun owners. First for thinking it was a good idea to go on a hike with his 15 yrs old son dressed like he's in combat, pretending with his son to be on some "LRRP recon force march" and then not realizing that if he ever got approached by LE ( which would be inevitable), he'd have to hand over his guns until they deemed him legal. Finally by the way he defied and ridiculed the officers and showed his ignorance. Sheeshola....

COPLETELY LEGAL TO DO WHAT HE WAS DOING!!!! THIS IS AMERICA AND WE (states) HAVE LAWS DEFINING OPEN CARRY!!! He was with his SON in a remote location trying to help and document his sons last merit leading to becoming an EAGLE SCOUT. That is the most non "duche bag" thing I have seen a father do in a LONG time!!! WOW!!!

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    I can't believe u just called this guy that went and fought for our freedom a Dbag?WTF. This is why our second amendment is being threatened because we allow this treatment of have a gun being in the wrong. Fuck that He should have wipped their fagot sissy asses.

joe

Master
    This is all speculation but the guy seems like he may have been looking for a confrontation. Everyday we all have choices to escalate or de- escalate situations. This guy chose to escalate & meet the confrontation with aggression.

He could have just as easily worked with the officer to wind down the situation & probably would have been on his way in 5 mins to finish the hike with his son.

I have been stopped by game warden's when hunting and the first thing they did was separate us from are guns. I am sure it is protocol & for safety.

A lot of times in these videos you do not get the full story. It could be police abuse of power or this guy could be next weeks Wacko who takes a school bus hostage in a rural area. Now days you just do not know. The guy does not look like he was going hunting & Someone called him in. If I saw someone walking down my street with any gun I would call the police as well. No one is hunting around here. In the world we live in today these types of situation must be investigated. It would be beneficial for the gun community if individuals act to de-escalate situations instead of escalate them.

Joe

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    I can't believe u just called this guy that went and fought for our freedom a Dbag?WTF. This is why our second amendment is being threatened because we allow this treatment of have a gun being in the wrong. Fuck that He should have wipped their fagot sissy asses.

For one thing, I have NO evidence that he's been out of his basement, drinking beer and playing video games, but him being a vet( no real vet that I know would do that) gives him NO leeway to act like that. Tell me in which second he was in the right.......the 2nd A does NOT guarantee that we can have folks walking around in public with weapons at the ready without being questioned. Those cops had NO intentions of infringing on his right to carry ( altho he's stupid for carrying it that way), they just wanted to make sure he could legally do so( meaning he wasn't a felon or crazy). Right off the bat, I'd think he's crazy for thinking it's cool to carry like that.

Fletch

Master
    All due respect to veterans but just because someone served overseas does not make them above reproach or criticism in matters completely unrelated. There are veterans who do illegal things and commit every crime imaginable. They don't have a get out of jail free card because they served. I feel quite safe in saying that the majority of veterans who have fought for our freedom would watch that and say what a Dbag and not really care to be associated with him.

There are limits as to where you can carry openly. So you drop your kids of at school and would think nothing of the guy across the street with a shotgun, deer rifle, ar, or any openly displayed firearm? You would calmly say there is a fine American exercising their 2nd Amendment right?

That guy = DOUCHEBAG and unfortunately being a father he is raising another potential DB. Probably an Infowars junkie and worships at the altar of Alex Jones.

CCHGN

Banned
    COPLETELY LEGAL TO DO WHAT HE WAS DOING!!!! THIS IS AMERICA AND WE (states) HAVE LAWS DEFINING OPEN CARRY!!! He was with his SON in a remote location trying to help and document his sons last merit leading to becoming an EAGLE SCOUT. That is the most non "duche bag" thing I have seen a father do in a LONG time!!! WOW!!!

Yes and there's laws defining what police can do for their own safety. Somehow you're missing the point that no one was trying to deny his right to carry, they simply wanted to make sure he was legal and not crazy. They got a call, they had to respond and it's standard procedure to hold onto weapons during contact. As an American citizen, if a person is walking around in public dressed in combat garb, with a weapon at the ready, I want the police to make contact with them to make sure that they're legal and not deranged.

Imo, that cop gave him every courtesy, they could have surrounded him and did a felony stop at gunpoint, they did not. The cop approached him man to man and asked for his rifle, he refused and decided to make a stand, so the cop did what he had to. I heard him explaining what he was going to do and why. The "vet" is an idiot and got what he deserved..

I had a thread about PSHTF, if you saw folks approach your property with weapons, how would you handle it,,,,99% said they would disarm them first thing and if they refused, they'd shoot them. Imagine that.

Snow Bird

Master
    IMO if he would have just handed the man his AR and not went through the rant about taking his weapon things would have went down alot diffrent. Like some have said no use in getting into a pissing contest with LE. They WILL find some way to arrest you and maybe hold you for 24 hours. Then there is the lawyer and all the bullshit to go through even if you have done nothing wrong. Having the camra at ready almost seems like he was looking to record a conforation that he thought might happen. He did have a 45 for snakes and bad guys if he needed it. Like they say I am going to cuff you for your protection and mine. At least the LEO didn,t approch him with weapon draw. Alot of places he would have been tazed and then they would have asked him what he was doing. I have never had a game warden ask me for my firearm yet but if they do you can bet I will give it to them. I have always had to lay mine down on the ground to get my lisence out anyway... Which buy the way I have to unload everything in my billfold to find. I just think the guy went about it all wrong expressing his right to have a firearm. Like someone else said they were responding to a call. We don't know what would have happened if LE had just been on patrol and seen him. Maybe just drove on buy .

shootnstarz

Master
    The guy was interviewed on "Gun Talk" yesterday afternoon and he claimed the public servant in question has a history of trouble and falsifying reports.

He seemed level headed in the conversation but there are always two sides to every story. All I will say is I have witnessed corruption and abuse of power by public servants in the past. Seems to especially be the newer ones that finally have a gun and a badge and are out to repay the world for whatever issues they had in the past. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Open carry means just that. Unless he was threatening somebody, discharging the weapon in a restricted area or doing anything that would be considered unsafe firearm handling I see no reason for the confrontation.

Rick

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    ..... All I will say is I have witnessed corruption and abuse of power by public servants in the past. Seems to especially be the newer ones that finally have a gun and a badge and are out to repay the world for whatever issues they had in the past. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. ......I see no reason for the confrontation.

Rick

Well, the problem is that you have rejected reality and replaced it with a false, distorted reality of your own.

Brutality is a perception. Some folks perceive that if the cop stops them, that's brutality. I saw no brutality in that video. I saw the cops being as calm as they could and explaining everything they's doing. That dude forced their hand.

Very simply, the reason for the confrontation was, the police got a call, man with a gun, possibly a threat, they HAVE to respond. The reality is, when they get a call, that opens an investigation and they have to follow up on it and then close it.
    When they approach the man, an investigation is already open, that is them following up on the investigation. Say the man was a felon or had a warrant, the investigation is still open until he has a trial and gets convicted and incarcerated. Then the weapon goes to property and gets it''s own investigation and paper trail: Is it hot? was it stolen? Used in any other crimes? what's it's history? where did it come from? Haw many hands has it been in? etc. Eventually, the cases get closed( or not). In this case, the man was beligerant and non compliant, so they decided to take him into custody. Apparently they have policies.

Now, I've been all over the Country and out West and everywhere I've been, if the police approach you and find you have a gun, they will take it and hold it until they determine if you can legally have it, meaning that you don't have any felonies or warrants, etc. Then they give them back. That's police policy, for their own safety. I have no problem with that.

Rick said:
    Open carry means just that. Unless he was threatening somebody, discharging the weapon in a restricted area or doing anything that would be considered unsafe firearm handling

Again, what you should have said: "IMO, open carry SHOULD mean", because that's not what open carry means. Open carry means whatever State & local case law says it means. Apparently in Texas, it's an issue of open carrying in a threatening manner. Now, alot of folks in Texas hunt, I'm sure they have their own ways , as we do here in Florida( do you know them?). I've been hunting and to shooting matches all my life, all over the Country and a few things are the same: When you're not intending on using that rifle, you sling it on your shoulder or if you're carrying it in the crook of your arm, you have the action open. If it's a break barrel SG, you have it broke open, etc. When you carry it closed and at port arms( at the ready), you're a threat. No one knows if it's loaded, no one knows your intention, except that it's at the ready to shoot. It's a matter of safety and courtesy. If I saw that man carrying that AR like that, I'd consider that a threat. He should be approached and checked out and educated.

adrenaline

Expert
    CCHGN, are you a cop or retired LEO?? Did you MISS the part where "one" of the LEO said "WE ARE EXEMPT FROM THE LAW"???? Is that normal protocol or "policies"? You seem a little bias on this matter/video. If it were you, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune. On a side note, you get the holster yet?

bayonet_53

Expert
    Well, the problem is that you have rejected reality and replaced it with a false, distorted reality of your own.

Brutality is a perception. Some folks perceive that if the cop stops them, that's brutality. I saw no brutality in that video. I saw the cops being as calm as they could and explaining everything they's doing. That dude forced their hand.

Very simply, the reason for the confrontation was, the police got a call, man with a gun, possibly a threat, they HAVE to respond. The reality is, when they get a call, that opens an investigation and they have to follow up on it and then close it.
    When they approach the man, an investigation is already open, that is them following up on the investigation. Say the man was a felon or had a warrant, the investigation is still open until he has a trial and gets convicted and incarcerated. Then the weapon goes to property and gets it''s own investigation and paper trail: Is it hot? was it stolen? Used in any other crimes? what's it's history? where did it come from? Haw many hands has it been in? etc. Eventually, the cases get closed( or not). In this case, the man was beligerant and non compliant, so they decided to take him into custody. Apparently they have policies.

Now, I've been all over the Country and out West and everywhere I've been, if the police approach you and find you have a gun, they will take it and hold it until they determine if you can legally have it, meaning that you don't have any felonies or warrants, etc. Then they give them back. That's police policy, for their own safety. I have no problem with that.

Again, what you should have said: "IMO, open carry SHOULD mean", because that's not what open carry means. Open carry means whatever State & local case law says it means. Apparently in Texas, it's an issue of open carrying in a threatening manner. Now, alot of folks in Texas hunt, I'm sure they have their own ways , as we do here in Florida( do you know them?). I've been hunting and to shooting matches all my life, all over the Country and a few things are the same: When you're not intending on using that rifle, you sling it on your shoulder or if you're carrying it in the crook of your arm, you have the action open. If it's a break barrel SG, you have it broke open, etc. When you carry it closed and at port arms( at the ready), you're a threat. No one knows if it's loaded, no one knows your intention, except that it's at the ready to shoot. It's a matter of safety and courtesy. If I saw that man carrying that AR like that, I'd consider that a threat. He should be approached and checked out and educated.

Stopping someone for open carrying in an open carry state is not "Policy." If there is a man of Arab decent in a store with a back-pack does that mean he is a terrorist? Does that give the police the right stop and search said person just because someone saw a "terrorist" in a store? Just because there is a complaint does not mean a crime has taken place. I do not know the specific laws in TX, but in FL you may open carry as listed below. Just because you are open carrying while engaged in the below activities does not give Law Enforcement the right to confiscate your firearm. They must have a reasonable suspicion to detain or search that person. The only acceptable reasonable suspicion that you would be able to articulate would be if you noticed a minor with a firearm and you stopped them to verify their age. Even then if you are wrong you have just committed a civil rights violation.

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--
    (3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
    (h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
    (j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/war-veteran-arrested-for-rudely-displaying-rifle.html

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    CCHGN, are you a cop or retired LEO?? Did you MISS the part where "one" of the LEO said "WE ARE EXEMPT FROM THE LAW"???? Is that normal protocol or "policies"? You seem a little bias on this matter/video. If it were you, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune. On a side note, you get the holster yet?

Nope, just an informed citizen...lol OK, as I said, there was some knee jerk reactions from the cops, but the dude was out of control and warranted a felony takedown. They handled him quite well, better than I would. IMO, that was simply a knee jerk reaction by the cop, not an arrogant "above the law" statement. And you and others are taking it out of context. Listen to the video, the dude is spouting his ignorance of the laws and then demands that they follow his interpretation of the law, to which they reply that they're above the fictitious laws.

Btw, I haven't had a chance to get over to West P'cola.

Members online

Top Bottom