• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Fletch. There's a number of issues it seems almost everyone is in Agreement on(police militarization, txting and driving, healthy living, congress actually doing something/anything/atleastshowuptoyourjob).
    It would seem that a large majority of public concern and support on such issues would illicit some form of change or progress. It *almost* seems like the media would rather focus our attention on high emotional/low actual impact issues.

I know I, for one, will start taking more grains of salt in the upcoming headline social issues.

I hear ya. People compromising and working together to get things done doesn't piss people off and get ratings. The "news" is entertainment just like anything else these days. Sad state of affairs.

JBryan314

Master
    Good point about the actually statistical probability of a mass shooting event. It really kind of negates the arguments on both sides of the issue and makes you wonder why people are willing to get into the knock down drag out battles over it.

Might there be other issues those on both sides could devote their energies to that would actually save lives? Is it possible that promoting a healthy and active lifestyle for one's children might do far more good for their well being than home schooling, arming teachers, or outlawing AR-15's? Maybe just follow the numbers and facts instead of emotionally fueled agenda's grounded in dogmas from either side of the ideological fence.

I can see how you'd want to blame both sides for the fighting over this issue. But only one side is attempting to take something away from people, only one side is using it to infringe on the Bill of Rights. So it's really not the fault of both sides. Arming teachers doesn't infringe on anything. Outlawing AR-15s does. There is no moral equivalence in this conflict over school shootings. One side clearly wants to allow teachers more options to keep schools safe, the other is using it as an excuse to push gun control.

MAXman

Master
    Jb, what I think fletch is getting at, is this is actually a fairly non issue. The probability of the average person actually being affected by a mass shooting is probably so low that wasting time discussing should be used to pursue actual matters.
    The ar-15 ban stonewalled, the potus got on national tv and said we are going to take them away, a liberal congress let out a war cry and then nothing actually happened

It's the same with this arm teachers deal, I would seriously doubt This would ever pass, it's to far out of the norm and too many people in the conservative corner don't like the idea.
    I understand and agree with you but sometimes you have to pick your battles. And meanwhile or country continues to spend it's way out of debt, we are importing crime/drugs/disease over our southern borders,
    And now the presidential candidates have announced themselves. So for the next year and a half NOTHING will get done and all we will see is b.s. Non-issues no one can agree on.

Fletch

Master
    Jb, what I think fletch is getting at, is this is actually a fairly non issue. The probability of the average person actually being affected by a mass shooting is probably so low that wasting time discussing should be used to pursue actual matters.
    The ar-15 ban stonewalled, the potus got on national tv and said we are going to take them away, a liberal congress let out a war cry and then nothing actually happened

It's the same with this arm teachers deal, I would seriously doubt This would ever pass, it's to far out of the norm and too many people in the conservative corner don't like the idea.
    I understand and agree with you but sometimes you have to pick your battles. And meanwhile or country continues to spend it's way out of debt, we are importing crime/drugs/disease over our southern borders,
    And now the presidential candidates have announced themselves. So for the next year and a half NOTHING will get done and all we will see is b.s. Non-issues no one can agree on.

Exactly......couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks for clarifying my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBryan314

Master
    Exactly......couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks for clarifying my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that it's actually a non-issue. I'm happy with simply allowing resource officers to do their jobs. But I know for a fact that school shootings, however rare, are going to happen again and the anti-gunners are going to jump on those graves to push their crap. They only have to get it right one time for us to lose more rights. We have to win every single time just to keep what we have. So I'd like to see us go on the offensive and win some ground in this. Good on Evers for pushing back.

schavey

Expert
    I'm not going to go to deep into it, i don't want to give anyone the impression I'm that far libertarian,
    But yes, the cost of private schools is prohibitive. And I don't think government subsidies to have children go to private schools is the answer.

I've always felt that homeschooling children puts them at a social handicap. But the more time I invest in my son, and the more people I know decide teaching is their professional calling, the more appealing it becomes.

Plus, a good friend growing up went to east hill Christian in Pensacola. He graduated with what turned out to be a GED and needed to jump hoops to join the army. It's disheartening to know how much his parents spent for him to end up with not-a-high school-diploma.

Not disputing what you have said: BUT: If a student is enrolled in the regular[certified and approved] high school curriculum, and passes all courses, 9th- thru 12th grade, that student would graduate with a high school diploma. My guess is that your friend, failed to meet passing grades in all courses, and had to go through a repeat of those courses and pass each of them to receive a high school diploma. The alternative [short cut] was a GED short course, so he could "get out" fast.
    IF I am correct, I applaud the Army for high standards.

MAXman

Master
    I'll see if I can't figure it out from him. I truly doubt he had a hard time in classes, he's not a rocket scientist but i never heard him ever haveing problems. Maybe it was the course work wasn't certified, somewhat like how Pensacola Christian college (as if 2012) wasn't accredited? I'll ask when I see him.

Don't be to proud of the army, at the time of his enlistment they were doing felony waivers.

Scahvey feel free to dispute away, in fact I recommend that none of you, ever, use my comments as anything other than food for thought. And should be served with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Interesting facts that I can see the US military, and various universities potentially having issues with:

Ssome of the fundamental differences between private and public school in Florida:

Private elementary and secondary schools are not licensed, approved, accredited or regulated by the Department of Education.
    Florida's private schools issue independent school diplomas that do not require approval from the state of Florida.
    Florida private schools establish their own system of school accountability, grading, reporting, and evaluating and are not included in the state's measurement of public schools.
    Private elementary and secondary schools are structured as private corporations, churches or private businesses that only report directory information and the enrollment of compulsory attendance aged students to the Department of Education.
    Private schools are not subject to school definitions and requirements specified in education statutes and they are not under the jurisdiction of the Department of Education.

https://www.floridaschoolchoice.org/Information/Private_Schools/choosing_a_private_school.asp

Droshki

Master
    Diplomas and Transcripts

Most postsecondary training programs, colleges and prospective employers require that the applicant's high school diploma and transcript be from an accredited school. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) is the regional accrediting agency for the twelve southeastern states and the only accrediting agency for Florida's public and state university system schools. Many private schools in Florida are also SACS accredited.

For private schools, accreditation is not required and is achieved by the school's adopting and maintaining the academic standards prescribed by an independent accrediting association, usually affiliated with the school's religion or educational philosophy. There are many accrediting organizations for private schools and many private schools that are not accredited at all.

It is wise to check with the college, university, or prospective employers to determine whether or not they accept diplomas and transcripts from a specific private school.

BigDaddy

Master
    My wife teaches ours, my wife's friend's son, who was also homeschooled is now going to fsu. My kids are taught at home but still participate in school activities. Dont believe all the hype against homeschooling

JBryan314

Master
    My wife teaches ours, my wife's friend's son, who was also homeschooled is now going to fsu. My kids are taught at home but still participate in school activities. Dont believe all the hype against homeschooling

I was homeschooled for 6th, 7th and 8th grades. I've come across very few people who know anything about homeschooling. They say we are socially deprived or whatever.

Has anyone seen what our public schools are producing? I'm not even talking about the idiots who can't make change unless the cash register does it for them. I'm talking about the way public schooled kids interact socially. Some are fine and some are ridiculous. So don't worry about the homeschoolers and their socialization. They're mostly fine. Public schools can't always say the same.

latch

Marksman
    ^^^ amen to that.

I am not too fond of the socialization training kids get in public school.

MAXman

Master
    Jbbryan,
    That's how in begining to feel. When I was a kid I thought homeschooled kids were wierd and thought the idea was terrible.
    Now that I have a son i am begining to think different is ok, if the trade off means he can actually learn something, I can keep the exposure to drugs down, as well keep him away from the social conditioning.

BigDaddy

Master
    My kids are "unschooled" meaning we stay away from mainstram agendas. If they are interested in a certain culture, they learn about that culture etc. Its easier when you dont have to force feed them history etc

My oldest daughter is into Japanese culture lately, so she is learning their part in ww2 and their economy and religions etc. Along the way we teach math and language, thats a given

schavey

Expert
    Diplomas and Transcripts

Most postsecondary training programs, colleges and prospective employers require that the applicant's high school diploma and transcript be from an accredited school. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) is the regional accrediting agency for the twelve southeastern states and the only accrediting agency for Florida's public and state university system schools. Many private schools in Florida are also SACS accredited.

For private schools, accreditation is not required and is achieved by the school's adopting and maintaining the academic standards prescribed by an independent accrediting association, usually affiliated with the school's religion or educational philosophy. There are many accrediting organizations for private schools and many private schools that are not accredited at all.

It is wise to check with the college, university, or prospective employers to determine whether or not they accept diplomas and transcripts from a specific private school.

Thanks so much for your two posts. Pardon the pun, but your posts were truly EDUCATIONAL----Thanks, again.

Top Bottom