• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I received an email stating that ranges 5 and 5a as well as ranges 6 and 7 would be randomly closing for maintenance.
    But I get the distinct feeling that only ranges 5 and 5a would actually be closed and 6 and 7 (the discipline ranges) would continue on as normal.

I was at the range last weekend shooting steel on range 5. I was approached by another member and told ricochet were coming off the steel and hitting the ground at ranges 6 or 7. He contacted the RSO and I was moved off of 5 while they continued with their discipline match/training. I protested and explained I'm member and my time was just as valuable as theirs. The RSO made it right and I went back to enjoying my shooting on a different range.

Now I have been a member at ergc for almost a year and i have never been offered the chance to use range 6 or 7. I see people in caravans riding towards the exclusive gate and I see large groups participating in competition as I enter and exit along the dirt road, but I have never once been invited or implied that I could go to ranges 6 and 7...and honestly I have never wanted to. I like shooting at 5 and 5a.
    But now 5 and 5a are closed...apparently for random times. For how long? Is 6 and 7 closed the sametime? Or are they closing 5 and 5a so they can continue using 6 and 7?

It feels like if you shoot discipline, you get to use more of the property and bully other members from utilizing the steel range so you can continue like normal. And if you don't shoot discipline, we'll goodluck friend. You're not in the club within the club.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ever think about asking (1) the RSO for clarification or (2) calling Ranger Leadership?

I know, that's hard and it's better to vent to the void and rage against 'the machine'.

Have a good day, friend.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please point out where I'm raging in my post? I laid it out exactly how I see it.

I have spoken to the RSO. They are employed by the board.... and the board president and vice president shoot discipline or so I have been told by other members.
    And like I said, I have no interest in shooting on 6 and 7. I like shooting on 5 and 5a.

The purpose of my post is to inform fellow club members that if you dont shoot discipline you are relegated to tier 2 in my observation. Did 6 or 7 ever close? For 1 minute?

I am allowed to have my opinion. Sorry if I'm not doing it the way you would. I can post it without going through any of your perceived first steps

MadMac22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I believe anyone is allowed to use the ranges 6-10.
    You have to tell the RSO in the office then you can go down there.

What do you mean by Discipline only ranges? I don't compete and I use them all the time.

Let me know next time you go. If you want, I'll go down there with you.
    When I first became a member to the range I was taken back there by the RSO and they showed me how everything works.
    I go down there from time to time, usually when I bring the 22lr or the PCC.

To be honest, the back ranges 6-10 aren't anything special. They have like 5 6" steel circles set up in different patterns. That's it.
    Range 5/5a have more steel than 6-10 now.

As for the stray rounds they were complaining about, I don't see how that is possible. But, maybe.
    There are tires wedged into the backside of the dirt mound on 5/5a.
    Plus, range 6 & 7 are also down a hill ~ 15 ft lower than the other ranges (8,9 & 10).

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    6 plus ranges are training ranges. Not just for competition but for training courses which the range helps host. So there is also scheduling involved so it is kind of different than the rest.

And I know 5 when I was out there the big wood berm had visible gaps in it due to wear. I'm happy their actually fixing it versus someone getting hurt then we're possibly out a good range due to a lawsuit.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Please point out where I'm raging in my post? I laid it out exactly how I see it.

I have spoken to the RSO. They are employed by the board.... and the board president and vice president shoot discipline or so I have been told by other members.
    And like I said, I have no interest in shooting on 6 and 7. I like shooting on 5 and 5a.

The purpose of my post is to inform fellow club members that if you dont shoot discipline you are relegated to tier 2 in my observation. Did 6 or 7 ever close? For 1 minute?

I am allowed to have my opinion. Sorry if I'm not doing it the way you would. I can post it without going through any of your perceived first steps
    He said be Polite like you did on your 1st post.
    I'm guessing you took the all caps as a poke at you. I did not read it as such.
    THATS WHY NEVER USE ALL CAPS UNLESS YOUR VERY UPSET!!! It's internet yelling.
    An occasional all cap WORD may be used as emphasis, but all caps is screaming.
    Anyone can use all the ranges, maybe not all the time, but when empty just ask.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I like shooting the Texas Star they have back there. it's a lot of fun and not as hard as it seems.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went last weekend. 5 and 5a still closed. And they closed 3 for a training class. Shooting a pistol felt reckless because of the 100 yards to the berm.

Yall are missing the point. Why are the closings not being rotated? Why is the training range getting preferred treatment over the ranges that most people use?

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    What did they say when asked? I forget which range is going to be the 300-yard range, maybe working on it?

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What did they say when asked? I forget which range is going to be the 300-yard range, maybe working on it?
    There's white chain draped across the opening of the ranges with a sign saying its closed.

Look im sure they're working on it. What I want to know is why they are closing the range that the MAJORITY of shooters use instead of closing the one behind it. Period.

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The reason there’s a closed gate leading to ranges 6-10 is that they are outside the direct view of the Range Safety Officer (RSO) The procedure for entry into those ranges requires the member sign in, sign out the key and a medical kit. They were originally designed for competition and training but have evolved into useful for all members to do dynamic training with movement.
    There is construction going on on ranges 5 and 5a and it has created the ricochet problems mentioned earlier. I’m sure the ranges will be finished soon and the inconvenience of shooting on any of the other ranges will be over.

MicVic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Whats up,

Been a member at ERGC for about 3 years, best price and experience in the area for sure.

5a is closed because it's under construction. There are signs up on the chains blocking the entrance to that range stating the range is under construction. Those signs have been there since it was closed for improvements for club members and guests.

If you are a member of a disciple, a ccw holder, or active duty than you can use the upper ranges. Because of the potential to have some dynamic shooting on those upper ranges it's a good idea to have some training and experience. The upper ranges are not exclusive, you can come up anytime by asking the RSO on duty. If you think you might be into shooting one of the disciplines just head over to the ERGC website and check them out, there is a lot, something for everyone.

ERGC is a special place because of all the volunteer work and support of the members and community, sometimes things can take longer to complete than one would expect. They do volunteer work and range improvements every Monday so it's a great way to help out at the club and contribute.

Range 3 is only closed, 1 time per month for about 4 hours. This is so the club can offer a discounted CCW class for the community. If you are not into disciplines maybe go get your CCW class from the club and you can shoot on the upper ranges.

The club is what you make it.

Top Bottom