• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife and I have an invitation to hunt hogs in Alabama after our deer season is over. Hogs apparently are a problem with only 4 regular hunters on the lease they have taken 40 over the deer season. My question is this - is a .270 enough gun? We both hunt deer with one and she is very comfortable with hers. If so what is a recommended round? I know Stanley killed two with his .17 but I suspect Stanley is exceptional with his shot placement and I would rather not piss one off that either of us may shoot. I have a .308 but only one - buying a second would not be a problem other than it would likely sit in a safe most of the time.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A .270 is plenty enough gun for hogs. As with anything, shot placement is just as important as the caliber, but .270 is more than adequate.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Famine, the SST is a great rd and the 270 will knock them dead...be sure you know a hogs anatomy before shooting and place you shot accordingly. I use the 6.8 120SST and it is deadly.

Attachments

• 1530feralhog2copy_zps5073b113.jpg
      1530feralhog2copy_zps5073b113.jpg
      25.1 KB · Views: 175
    • hogkillzone.jpg
      hogkillzone.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 154
    • pig anatomy.jpg
      pig anatomy.jpg
      31.2 KB · Views: 187

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Frank - never hunted hogs before. We both are pretty good shots but lack experience and knowledge in killing hogs. Neither of us take shots that we are not completely confident in and knowing where to shoot is a great help.-

Then again we can take our .270s and if I get in the right setup I might try my .460 - I have it zeroed to 100 yds with Hornady 200 gr.

Attachments

• SW.460.JPG
      SW.460.JPG
      28.7 KB · Views: 145
    Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is plenty. A lot of hunters out west use the .270 for hunting elk and when I eventually go I will be using my .270 to. If it can put down an 600-1000lb animal just fine I am sure a 100-200lb wouldn't stand a chance. All I can say is what Frank said shot placement. I shot my first hog during archery season and it was a 105lb boar. I have never seen or felt ones "plate" before and all I can say it it felt as hard as my AR500 plates. I honestly think my arrow would've bounced off if it struck that plate lol

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife and I have an invitation to hunt hogs in Alabama after our deer season is over. Hogs apparently are a problem with only 4 regular hunters on the lease they have taken 40 over the deer season. My question is this - is a .270 enough gun? We both hunt deer with one and she is very comfortable with hers. If so what is a recommended round? I know Stanley killed two with his .17 but I suspect Stanley is exceptional with his shot placement and I would rather not piss one off that either of us may shoot. I have a .308 but only one - buying a second would not be a problem other than it would likely sit in a safe most of the time.

Yea u can kill them with anything with good placement i have killed lots with a 22lr before i got the 17hmr. BUT yes there is a but, i would never leave on a hunt for hogs with a rim fire or 223,243,22 hornet, ect... Reason being is i have shot plenty and didnt even phase them. 270 is plenty big(if not a single shot). I would say the more important thing is how many rounds does it hold and how fast can u reliably shoot them? Most time's there are more than 1. A single shot 270 would be a negative for me. Ill take a ruger 10-22 before i left with a single shot. other things that matter are u sitting or walking through woods or chasing dogs or what.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Both are bolt action with 5 round max Stanley. Never timed working the action for a reliable shot but I am guessing 10 seconds maybe less. Thanks for the response.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Both are bolt action with 5 round max Stanley. Never timed working the action for a reliable shot but I am guessing 10 seconds maybe less. Thanks for the response.

And not really from a Safety stand point cause i have only been in danger of hog group attack once almost a decade ago, but mainly a more meat thing. Normally they have juicy lil pig000lits with them or at least 2 or 3 pigs feeding/roaming. Faster shooting and higher capacity equals more meat to clean!! Really i guess my main choice would be a high cap 12ga with 3 inch buck shot. Spray and prey cause after the first shot they scatter!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The 270Win is plenty for most any hog at most any range. The common 270Win bullets are of the 130 and 150gr weights. Either will do. Pick a well made bullet and put it where it is supposed to be. IMO .... square ON the shoulder,and he will be dead with massive blood loss.

Do not try a head,neck,eyeball,or ear shot. Either heart/double lung,or shoulder to frag the bullet.

Good luck on your trip. Take pics. --- SAWMAN

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a nice Remington woodsmaster semi 308 that messed up some pigs in alabama. 18" barrel made it easy to carry and light recoil.

Yes i have a Rem 742 woodsmaster in 30-06 that i also have a 10 round mag for and its a nasty some b8tch on hogs plus i have the raised scope mounts u can look through so its perfect if they get to close or charge since scope hard to sight in hurry while moving or charging!!!

Top Bottom