• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to be confused with C-RATS, D-RATS,K-RATS, the MRE's of the 90's had chocolate bars made from paraffin wax right here in St. Augustine Fl.
    [/QUOTEI heated many a can of C-rations on the manifold of a M-151 or a deuce and half. I bet I could heat some beanie-weanies in the exhaust of a generator.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How does one get involved with the Local Emergency Management system?

I know at one time the center used HAM operators, which I am one (KJ4ZPB), but I did not see anything on the Escambia Emergency Management website about how to volunteer for that or something else.

Thoughts?

They have a hand in local emergency management. More specifically they staff the Volunteer Donations and Coordination desk (ESF15) at the EEOC during disasters. During my college years and a few years there after I learned a lot about disaster relief and mitigation through this organization. Most importantly I learned about service to the community.

I recommend start by taking a CERT course as a start.

I also recommend looking at Southern Baptist disaster relief. Its a great organization that provides meals, cleanup and counseling after disasters. When I was involved with them they had ham radio operations as well.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Imagine one day there is a country that can take the full body blow of a disaster (pandemic, hurricane, economic) and hardly miss a beat. Wonder if that could ever be us? Worth working for? Stupid, foolish dream?

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Don't have time to make a full post. Here's the label off a food box my parents got. Also civilian mres. Look at the pack date.

Attachments

• 20200924_111512.jpg
      20200924_111512.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 99

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Imagine one day there is a country that can take the full body blow of a disaster (pandemic, hurricane, economic) and hardly miss a beat. Wonder if that could ever be us? Worth working for? Stupid, foolish dream?

Not as long as we keep building wood-frame homes on the coast...

I'm still hoping for the zombie apocalypse.
    twice.png

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Deleted

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    The first 72 is on you. Kind of catchy don't ya think? I've read it on billboards. I've heard it on the radio. I,think I've seen it on the TV as a PSA. Now I realize not everyone is going to have the money or the room for that large a back up. It's contingent on how many people you are responsible for. However, we live in Florida, in the Gulf of Mexico in NE Florida for sure. I'll bet this is not a lot of these folks first rodeo. I moved here from an area without hurricanes. All it took was IVAN and that hurricane made a believer out of me. If more people kept to the 72 hour suggestion, fewer folk might be the ones that sustain than folks that don't. More resources would go to people in dire need not just the ones that say a beer would be nice, Planning ahead for six months. Spread your food /supply stash over six months. That doesn't seem like such a chore if you do a little at a time. IMO I'm sure their are others that work as well.

Top Bottom