• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Government is slow to respond because of all the hurdles and tape that have to be gone through. Just how it works. 72 hrs after a natural disaster is standard.

Local volunteers and organizations are always going to be able to mobilize before the government. Just the way it works! A lot goes into disaster relief and it takes time!

I agree the government is not very good at responding.

In my opinion, that is totally unacceptable. Maybe moving commodities and serving people should be taken away from the government and that money invested in organizations who are better at it.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just so you all know, all this noise is me trying to come to grips with how ineptly the State's plan was implemented. (Especially when compared with the Salvation Army's response).

I knew in my head to not rely on the government as that was how I was raised. Seeing the report above let me actually peek into how they work. I was amazed.

Thank you for helping me work through this!

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate your insight into how the Federal of the government works. You highlighted some of the problems of Federal response. Based upon what you describe, if quick assistance is needed, the Feds are not an option?

Since hurricanes are not a surprise and the Feds are often asked to come in, do you not think it odd that they do not have a few resources available to deploy quickly??

I appreciate your asking logical questions about a vexing problem for all of us. I would not consider the federal government as an option for quick relief. It takes time to mobilize, there may have to be bids advertised for supplies and relief efforts. I would recommend representatives being called, senators, president Trump or anybody you can think of in the political arena as soon as possible. These kind of people can get the ball rolling more quickly.

As far as stockpiling supplies...........where? The US is a big country and bad things happen all the time somewhere. It would only be possible to stock regional warehouses and then you still have the problem with roads and trucks. We are lucky in that we have many large military bases around the state that could store supplies till needed. This is something that political representatives need to get involved with.

Bear in mind I am only speaking for myself as I am in no way authorized by the govt to speak for them on any matter.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And our government doesn't ? Seems odd, I wonder why?

Well, they actually kinda' do. Every county has an emergency management agency. Seems like they should be in contact with the appropriate federal agencies. If they aren't doing this, why not? I'm thinking there's lots of room for improvements in this area. As I said above, big country with bad stuff happening all the time somewhere.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree the government is not very good at responding.

In my opinion, that is totally unacceptable. Maybe moving commodities and serving people should be taken away from the government and that money invested in organizations who are better at it.

Good point! WalMart had water and food in New Orleans the day after Katrina passed.

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This sums up what I think
    View attachment 92570
    I am a former CERT member. If one is complaining they should at least volunteer of some sort
    A report from someone who was near the Innerarity Point give-a-way said people went down a two lane road to the "POD." Gridlock was created. These citizens drove by several open big box stores with big parking lots with near ample ingress and egress. The difference was "free stuff."

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Question: Why did it take 72 hours for the government to set up food and water distribution? Can we do better? (These comments are not directed toward any first responders!)

Risk: This relatively mild storm exposes gaps (failures?) in emergency planning with regards to commodity distribution that could become life threatening in a larger disaster.

Evidence for concern:

Report from WEAR TV: https://weartv.com/news/local/chann...t-food-distribution-delay-for-escambia-county:

Channel 3 asked Emergency Management Director Eric Gilmore why the supplies aren't here yet. He says the food and water were ordered from Tallahassee even as the storm was raging.

But Sally moved east with fierce winds and rain, and the trucks couldn't get out of the state capitol. Parts of I-10 were impassable due to rivers running over the road.

Gilmore explained further, "Those commodities and everything will not roll to our area until it dies down. So yesterday [Thursday] morning was actually day one for recovery -- for us to try to get these assets in."

Thursday, there were more delays from flooding on 1-10 in Sally's aftermath.

"National Guard's ready to go, I had the manpower, I just didn't have commodity," Gilmore continued.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading this, you probably spotted, let us be generous here, a "lack of imagination" in the emergency response plan.

Areas of concern:
    • He says the food and water were ordered from Tallahassee even as the storm was raging. Ya think you could have picked up the phone a few hours earlier? Don't even need fast reflexes to recognize a threat as the storm was only moving 2-3 mph. Even if storm changed direction, it was only a three hour return trip back to Tally for the trucks.
    • ..trucks couldn't get out of the state capitol. Why are the commodities hoarded in the state capital? That location sure did not work out well this time because:
    • Those commodities and everything will not roll to our area until it dies down. Imagine if we had some of them stored nearby? They would not need to "roll in". The trucks could not get here because:
    • Thursday, there were more delays from flooding on 1-10 in Sally's aftermath. Flooded roads and closed bridges after a hurricane. Man, I did not see that one coming. Who would have thought?...
    I am not an expert in such matters and I am sure there are a bunch of great excuses that explain the above but,
    will those excuses feed your family if and when food/water distribution really, really matters?

We can do better.

I’m not sure what your expectations are, but on FEMA’s website they have a link to a digital pamphlet that specifically tells us all, that the first three days (72 hrs) are on you to provide for yourself and your family. I personally don’t think that’s too much to ask of every citizen while the local and federal governments plan is implemented. While serving in the Marines we had a term...”Semper Me” , always take care of yourself first. Help will arrive, but don’t plan on it being in the middle of a storm. I posted today here on the forum the local locations of food/water distributions in our county.
    A5FFBE8B-2A1E-4324-88B3-316BD51FA12C.png
    A5FFBE8B-2A1E-4324-88B3-316BD51FA12C.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate you opinion as a former CERT member. Were you involved with planning commodity transportation to disaster stricken areas? What are your suggestions on how to improve what is documented above?
    I did not make decisions, but all of that is discussed starting at the federal level with FEMA and coordinates with other federal agencies, state agencies, and the county level emergency management. There are so many church groups that are involved each with specific tasks to preform. For example they divided often according to church. All of that has to be coordinated.
    True some people do not seem to last even 24 hours on their own.

Things are so much better now days. But still other than rescues, most of us must wait 72 hours. The police, fire people, along with 911 etc are the only ones that are available at a moments notice. Currently the police in SRC are on 12 hours shifts last I heard. You might be willing to have millions of people on the payroll to immediately respond and instead of mobilizing over a period of several days. Fact as soon as the storm stops, county workers and others are clear the roads. Right behind them are the power and utility people that make it possible for the other services such as food distribution to be set up.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I have NO sympathy for the SHEEPLE what-so-ever. "Soooo do I get ice and food and gas before the hurricane or AFTER the hurricane?" Dumb people waiting for the government to take care of them. Have some personal responsibility.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I did not make decisions, but all of that is discussed starting at the federal level with FEMA and coordinates with other federal agencies, state agencies, and the county level emergency management. There are so many church groups that are involved each with specific tasks to preform. For example they divided often according to church. All of that has to be coordinated.
    True some people do not seem to last even 24 hours on their own.

Things are so much better now days. But still other than rescues, most of us must wait 72 hours. The police, fire people, along with 911 etc are the only ones that are available at a moments notice. Currently the police in SRC are on 12 hours shifts last I heard. You might be willing to have millions of people on the payroll to immediately respond and instead of mobilizing over a period of several days. Fact as soon as the storm stops, county workers and others are clear the roads. Right behind them are the power and utility people that make it possible for the other services such as food distribution to be set up.
    Thanks to defunding efforts and low taxes and such, at any point in time the city of Milton, the SRC seat, only has like two or three officers available to respond. We got lucky that day the nutjob pulled a 12 gauge on the guard I was relieving, in that it happened during a city cop shift change, too, and all the officers from the on-coming and off-going shifts responded. All of maybe 6 or 7 officers, total. And thank God nothing else more important then shift change was going on at the time. Get training. When seconds count, the cops are minutes away, and around here the chances are good that there wont be enough cops to respond properly. It'll be far better to count on yourself, your family and your neighbors trained in and equipped for lifesaving techniques and preparedness and banding together for an immediate shared response to crisis and emergencies, than to count on the government.

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    After Michael, they were blocking non residents from entering Bay County. So a lot of church groups, good samaritans, were initially blocked. But once the flow started we had more than we needed.

There was an individual from Crestview that hauled a big utility trailer with his pickup truck. In it, he had tons of water, and baby wipes. The kicker was a large fuel tank, and he was giving out 10 gallons of gas per family for free. He gave us 20 gallons as my generators were supplying power for 3 households. I tried to give him money and he refused.

Yeah there some delays, but our damage was catastrophic, but within a few days it seemed like the whole world was here helping us. I can't say enough about the Power Companies, First Responders, Church Groups, and Private Individuals, and all the Various Companies that stepped in to help us.
    working in that area after that storm, they were blocking folks from going in the area for two reasons , looters ( there was a shooting due to this exact problem someone thought a house was abandoned and were wrong) , and the roads were straight boned up and took almost a week and some change to get them to a safe level in port st joe and mexico city beach at least.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I see you have excuses. Will they feed your family when it is really needed?

We can do better.
    no thats not excuses. you were complaining wanted reasons. gave you several, if you want to consider that excuses thats on you.

hatecheese

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To the OP, I'd much rather rely on my neighborhood and my network of family and friends than the federal government. I live on the water and evacuated, but drove back just as the storm passed. I was amazed to see gas lines stacked with people trying to buy gas 2hrs after the storm passed. Yes there are some who have destroyed houses or their preparations washed away, but there were undoubtedly many in those lines that started with 1/8 of their fuel tank full and zero preparation.

The link from Jdcujo for the https://www.eventbrite.com/e/northwest-florida-advanced-citizen-corps-academy-tickets-97003172099 advanced citizen corp academy sounds like a great place to learn about how you can help as well as the challenges and 'roadblocks' to immediate response.
    I understand you are asking good questions, but my first thought is always - the first 72 are on you. From power restoration to food and water distribution I think anything done earlier than the first 72 hours is fantastic and more than we can hope for.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    folks complaining, how about attend this conference and put money where your mouth is so you have an idea of how it actually works.

Interesting. Who are these guys? If that is government based, no thanks. I have no desire to learn and support a poorly performing system. I would be more interested in fixing the current system. Is that the realm of politicians?

I refuse to be a sheeple and believe the 72 hour propaganda they put out.

One day, we may really, really need the system to work quickly. Now is the time to improve that system instead of just accepting what they tell us is true.

If I am to invest it will be with organizations that have demonstrated competency like The Salvation Army.

Last edited:

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To clarify, in my mind personal responsibility is not a get out of jail card that protects a poorly managed system.

Improving that system now is not to better care for the irresponsible (I really do not like that), it is to help the responsible when they cannot help themselves. Remember, stored supplies can be damaged or inaccessible due to structural damage, fire, high water etc. Bad things can happen to even the best prepared among us.

When I see something not working to its potential, my first instinct is to fix it. Not sure how to do that at the moment.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Interesting. Who are these guys? If that is government based, no thanks. I have no desire to learn and support a poorly performing system. I would be more interested in fixing the current system. Is that the realm of politicians?

I refuse to be a sheeple and believe the 72 hour propaganda they put out.

One day, we may really, really need the system to work quickly. Now is the time to improve that system instead of just accepting what they tell us is true.

If I am to invest it will be with organizations that have demonstrated competency like The Salvation Army.
    For all the good that the Salvation Army does, people need to realize that the organization is religion, a denomination, an unholy division of the one and only Way, and most likely a denomination separate and apart from what you know as the Truth, with books and laws separate and apart and in addition to the Holy Bible. And every dollar anybody gives to them for whatever reason (and that includes them bell ringers at Christmas time) furthers their unholy agenda which is separate and apart from God's will.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To the OP, I'd much rather rely on my neighborhood and my network of family and friends than the federal government. I live on the water and evacuated, but drove back just as the storm passed. I was amazed to see gas lines stacked with people trying to buy gas 2hrs after the storm passed. Yes there are some who have destroyed houses or their preparations washed away, but there were undoubtedly many in those lines that started with 1/8 of their fuel tank full and zero preparation.

The link from Jdcujo for the https://www.eventbrite.com/e/northwest-florida-advanced-citizen-corps-academy-tickets-97003172099 advanced citizen corp academy sounds like a great place to learn about how you can help as well as the challenges and 'roadblocks' to immediate response.
    I understand you are asking good questions, but my first thought is always - the first 72 are on you. From power restoration to food and water distribution I think anything done earlier than the first 72 hours is fantastic and more than we can hope for.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Why do you believe that response must take at least 72 hours?

Top Bottom