• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Agent86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is a long one, so here is the bottom line. Don’t purchase cans and other NFA items off of silencershop’s website. Instead, go to your local dealer, and purchase their cans and NFA items directly from them. Doing so will save you time and frustration.

Prior to eforms, I believe silencershop was the way to go when it came to Form 4 transfers. Simply use one of their kiosks once, and you could buy NFA items as easily as buying AR parts off of Brownells. The form 4 paperwork would be autogenerated for every purchase, based on the information provided into their kiosk. Extremely convenient. I used to recommend silencershop to anyone that asked me about buying a silencer.

Now that eforms is here, the silencershop process is clunky, convoluted, and adds extra steps that wouldn’t exist if you didn’t order off of their website. I purchased a can about three weeks ago off of their website. This was my first purchase since this iteration of Form 4 eforms has come about. Upon placing my order, all electronic documents were signed within minutes of receipt. It took 14 days for the form 3 approval, and for the can to be shipped to my local dealer. Pretty good in my opinion. It took 5 days of my can sitting at my dealer for me to receive the “ready to certify” email from silencershop. This “certifying” is eforms specific and used to not be a thing. I traveled to my local dealer to certify. Turns out, silencershop’s website is down or not working properly, and hadn’t been working since the previous day. This was told by my dealer. Therefore, the hour round trip to my dealer was a waste. Hopefully the next hour round trip won’t be a waste. So 19 days after purchase, the clock still hasn’t started on the estimated “90 day” approval time.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain that all this can be avoided. How? Just go to your local dealer and purchase NFA items directly from them. When you do, you’ll handle all the eforms paperwork right there on the spot. No waiting on your silencer or sbr to be shipped to your dealer, no waiting on somebody else to do your paperwork, no waiting for websites to work. Buy the silencer (or sbr/sbs, machine gun, AOW, or destructive device), submit the electronic form 4, pay the tax, all in the same day. Doing this will probably save a month or so off of your wait.

In my opinion the only thing silencershop is still good for, is if you have a traditional trust. It’s probably the best solution for those with a traditional trust, due to their kiosks, and ability to save everyone’s fingerprints and 5320.23s. Trying to collect these two items from everyone in your trust, even if it’s just three people, is like herding cats.

I know eforms has brought about unprecedented sales from silencershop, and both they and the AFT were/are struggling to keep up with demand. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with silencershop’s customer service in the past. I have no doubt they are good people. There is just no reason for them to be anyones primary means of purchasing silencers anymore. Eforms has killed them as being the easiest way to buy a silencer….except for very specific circumstances.

Last edited:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Iv exclusively used them due to their ability to make the process simple. Iv asked a few dealers and haven't had nearly the same level of service.

Agent86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I’ve also used them exclusively for all my form 4s. Either directly from silencershop or one of their “Powered by” dealers. Prior to eforms, silencershop was 100% the best. I’m sure the bugs will eventually iron out a little with this new eforms process. However, currently, for form 4s being filed as an individual, I wouldn’t recommend them, solely for the purpose of time. I’m confident that correctly filling out a form 4 will not be, nor has it ever been, an issue with silencershop.

I’m sure customer service will vary among local dealers, but going that route is probably the fastest, most efficient way for an individual as of February 2022.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For eforms, dealer or SS: get an account setup and know your login and pin.

SS has lost some of their edge with eforms but they can still offer some convenience features like electronic prints, trust creation etc.

The process is new so there will be kinks to work out and the flow to be optimized.

My first 3 through them were fairly smooth but there was a significant delay waiting on them to get the 4th ready for processing and cert. I didn't have to have the customer present for the cert process but they did have to login to SS at the same time.

Your local SOT can file eforms, and with you in the shop, should be able to do it quickly. If they can't do electronic prints, the mail is still an option for hard cards. Scanning docs and pics is pretty easy at this point.

dirtingd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What is the Estimated Time when using the using the Eform Process to get approved?

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I am approaching 13 months waiting on a rimfire suppressor.

I don't believe the Biden regime will ever allow suppressors to be approved in 90 days.
    Yeah, I'm about 12 months out on 2 different ones.... Ill believe fast turn times when I see them.

Agent86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    E-filing form 1s are running 3-4 weeks. I did one in July that was 21 days exactly. I got a stamp back yesterday that I filed on 27 January. Seems logical that form 4s could come in around 90 days, but the federal government defies logic.

JCWRX

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread may help with the issue I've been wondering about. I purchased my first suppressor, a Q erector .22, at Precision Tactical in Crestview on 2/12. Suppressor was in stock so no waiting on silencer shop for shipping anything. The thing that's been worrying me is my silencer shop acct has ready to certify highlighted on my status queue. It's been that way for over a week. I still haven't got an email that says ready to certify and the dealer says to wait for that. Just worried I'm waisting time because web searches I've done says that the dealer needs to initiate the process.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-202203.png
      Screenshot_20220226-202203.png
      590.4 KB · Views: 118
    Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If it's ready to certify, the dealer should contact you and setup a "session" time where you both login to SS. You'll verify the information, payment will go through, enter your username and pin, dealer will enter their pin. That should be it. You don't need to be in the shop in person.

At least that's how my first 4 went.

JCWRX

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it's ready to certify, the dealer should contact you and setup a "session" time where you both login to SS. You'll verify the information, payment will go through, enter your username and pin, dealer will enter their pin. That should be it. You don't need to be in the shop in person.

At least that's how my first 4 went.
    Man, I really appreciate the super quick reply.

Top Bottom