DK Firearms

Does Anybody Work or Go to School Anymore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I figured I would come out to Navarre and Pompano fish for a few days. I’ve done this for years in April and just a few years ago the beach would be deserted and very few cars would drive by.
    The beach at the public access across from the house is packed. Too crowded to fish.
    The parking lot is full, some are out of state but most are local.
    I walked over to the beach and most are young people, under 35.
    What is going on? Nobody works anymore?

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The entire strip from Navarre (Navarre Beach was packed on Sunday) to Gulf Breeze has become over run with cars/people, most notable from my perspective is the Tiger Point area. Walmart area is a zoo, and for the past month or so, Lowe's parking lot has been absolutely packed. I hate to even go out anymore.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It sure seems like they don’t, ever where I go is packed with people even when they should be at work or school.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I figured I would come out to Navarre and Pompano fish for a few days. I’ve done this for years in April and just a few years ago the beach would be deserted and very few cars would drive by.
    The beach at the public access across from the house is packed. Too crowded to fish.
    they are probably from yankee land, where everything is shut down...let's take the free money and go to florida....

what are most of the lic plates reading as coming from?

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The beach areas have been hopping with spring break and then a lot of people are probably out of work and spending their gubmint money on vacation. I have seen a whole lot of Fulton county GA tags this past 2 weeks...

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, if it makes you feel any better I work an 11 day on and 3 off schedule. The last time I was on a beach was cleaning up after Ivan or Katrina.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I remember telling my Marines, when they asked what I did on leave, about how I took a jon boat to go to Walmart, and they didnt believe me that I could dock a boat at a Walmart! I miss the old Florida, too. That wasn't that long ago either, about 20 years ago. Then Walmart left, after they had killed our downtown economy. Watch that movie for free on YouTube: "The High Cost Of Low Price" or something like that. The old Milton walmart sat empty for a long time too, just like in the movie, leaving a crater in the local economy after having killed downtown. I miss the old Florida, dirt roads, clay pits and sand dunes. Getting dirty (whether with the trucks, working or with the ladies) was all there was to do. Now it's all getting paved over or fenced off, and the old Walmart is a bioweapons center. Thank God we still have uncontaminated swamps, creeks and rivers, because the beaches are a hopeless mess now

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I remember the old Florida well. I was born in Panama City in 1955.
    I remember when the Hathaway Bridge was a drawbridge and the tourists hadn’t discovered the areas east of Panama City.
    Great place to live back then.
    Nowadays I would move to Kentucky if my wife would go along with it.
    I ended up not fishing today. The parking lot stayed packed till 6:00 and there are still half a dozen cars over there.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes and they can take I10 to 87 straight to the bridge for the beach in navarre

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO, it's a combination of things. People want more than the minimum wage, twenty hours a week, and being on call the rest of the week to the extent they can't work another job in fast food/convenience store economy of this area. I suspect some folks a flocking to the beaches early because they believe another COVID lock-down is looming, or they'll have to soon have vaccine passport to travel. More heartening, some have had it with the government BS, no longer GAS, and are just doing what they want to do. Our local tourist industry is waiting, legs wide open. Us locals won't matter until about November/December.....

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    So, are there really enough government benefits for people to be able to live?
    I know nothing about unemployment and other government benefits.
    My sister was on unemployment for a short time back in the ‘70s.
    She had to show up every week at the unemployment office with a list of businesses that she had contacted to seek employment.
    I know I have talked to several business owners that say they cannot find employees.

6C8B130C-E576-4620-89B1-52F7B2E223A8.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    our Local Chick-fil-A which is on a smaller lot size than most ended the drive up service where you order on line, pull into a parking slot and they bring it out. Pretty good for us folks who have larger trucks that barely fit in their parking lot/drive thru when it isn’t busy let alone now when it’s lined up out onto the street. I called yesterday and asked if it is gone for good or just temporary. The very nice manager explained to me they can‘t find adult age folks to work. They employ a lot of teenagers and college kids but they go back to school and they can’t keep them after 9pm or something like that. When I went inside (just in the foyer for pickup, inside closed still) to pickup the food yesterday we talked a little more and she said she is getting a lot of pushback from people that are saying they are getting paid enough to just stay at home. Crazy to me. I believe they own several locations and they talk to the other business’s around here and many are having the same issue. I think this is going to get worse as our tax dollars are used to “pay folks” for this or that and it keeps going. I’m not talking about the people who truly need the assistance and I’m glad they can get it if they need it. I’m all for unemployment and assistance if needed but now it’s becoming apparent that folks are being more open and just saying it that they get enough from the government to live so why work. It’s terrible. Before people didn’t want to do manual labor. Then they wanted more money to do less work. Now they just won’t work since the government is stepping in handing out the money. I think this trend is overall small numbers of people but it seems to be growing and will lead to big problems if not fixed and probably all of us paying more and more taxes so the government can continue these programs for the folks who just don’t want to work and take advantage of anything they can.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Wife and I work from home. Sometimes my wife will work out at the beach with an iPad with network signal.

Also, its spring break for everyone except our area...

Latest posts

Top Bottom