• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad_Macid

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I had machined three 80% lowers, the pockets looked beautiful, where mil spec and in tolerance. My problem was with the final hole drilling cycle on the last lower where I had set the wrong work offset in G54 instead of G55 which I was working in. In doing so, my holes where .100 closer to the mag well preventing the trigger from fitting and offsetting the safety selector. I had milled a slot in the trigger pins to roughly install the trigger in the correct location but the safety selector mostly prevents the trigger from firing. I can barely tweak the selector just right about 60 degrees to get the pistol to run and it does so reliably. Keep in mind this AR is chambered in 17HMR for strictly range plinking and is a blowback system. Can I just remove the safety selector entirely and is that legal to do? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 96

Mad_Macid

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Also has anyone ever made a super nice precision weld in those holes and then re drilled it? Or even has welded on a receiver?

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Also has anyone ever made a super nice precision weld in those holes and then re drilled it? Or even has welded on a receiver?
    Done a poly 80. Used jb weld refilled and redid a bit of milling. Odd thing is it has actually held up

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve seen one welded. Wasn’t mine. Didn’t appear to be a precision weld but nothing a grinder couldn’t fix. He hadn’t redrilled it yet.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    It would need to be Tig welder by someone who knows what they are doing. At that cost you can buy more receivers. Marine Tex is some nasty stuff. I used to sell it years ago. It's advertised you can drill and tap it when fully cured.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had machined three 80% lowers, the pockets looked beautiful, where mil spec and in tolerance. My problem was with the final hole drilling cycle on the last lower where I had set the wrong work offset in G54 instead of G55 which I was working in. In doing so, my holes where .100 closer to the mag well preventing the trigger from fitting and offsetting the safety selector. I had milled a slot in the trigger pins to roughly install the trigger in the correct location but the safety selector mostly prevents the trigger from firing. I can barely tweak the selector just right about 60 degrees to get the pistol to run and it does so reliably. Keep in mind this AR is chambered in 17HMR for strictly range plinking and is a blowback system. Can I just remove the safety selector entirely and is that legal to do? Thanks in advance
    I know of no statuary law that calls for a safety on any weapon. The only safeties some submachineguns have is a notch to catch the bolt handle. Many submachine guns are only considered safe with chamber empty and magazine removed from the weapon. these are older designs by the way.
    There could be a range rule and for some competitions it is mandatory. If you sell a gun without a safety you are liable for any AD or NG that might occur.
    Fact is on a range when shooting from a bench I seldom use a safety. Range cold and the gun is unloaded. Essentially the safety is not used.
    when I shoot bullseye pistol, the safety is never used. I guess that a safety could be fitted to work with that individual rifle.
    For hunting you want a safety.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Have gad two weld up welder did a good job haven't finished them yet but it will work. Just my 5 cents jj Did learn you need to drill a little bigger hole makes it easy to weld up.
    I know nothing about machining anything on a firearm, but a smaller hole will require less filler to fill during the welding process. I'm not sure the thought behind a bigger hole. Just more to fill.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know nothing about machining anything on a firearm, but a smaller hole will require less filler to fill during the welding process. I'm not sure the thought behind a bigger hole. Just more to fill.
    Not knowing too much about it, I would listen to the voice of experience.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Is the safety hole milled out fine ? Any easy solution without filling and redrilling would be buy a cheap drop in trigger, drill the trigger pin hole, use anti walk pins, and vwalla .

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    JUst get a rec. that needs a small hole weld up It want take you long to figure it out. Didn't say it couldn't be done; Just works better to get a good fill with out getting a open on the inside of your weld , You can't get too the in side so the little larger hole lets you do a better fill from the out side. You get a better job In less time of welding . trying to get a good fill in a small hole.. Just my 5 cents jj

Mad_Macid

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Thank you gentlemen for all of the knowledge so far. I do see some logic in making the pin holes a little larger in order to get the tungsten electrode a little deeper for some extra good penetration. I might even have my welder bevel all of the holes for slightly more surface area of weld. Maybe clamp a piece of brass to the inside and build up some filler metal off of the brass. I’m thinking weld/re-drill pin holes and weld the safety selector just to close the hole and boom my ar lower is hopefully not scrap! Just worried about warpage now because as I understand it aluminum requires a wide open machine. Good to hear there’s no laws regarding a recruitment for safety’s or any laws that don’t appreciate the modification of a safty selector. Thanks again gentlemen, more information will always be appreciated.

Top Bottom