• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A while back there was a thread about chest holsters. That got me thinking and looking, and I arrived at the point where I just decided to make one for my S&W 69. I'm not much for blowing my own horn, but I think I done OK for a learning project. Got the exact look I was after; late 1800s-early 1900s. I have rigging ready to install, just figured I'd show the leather. Tell me what ya think, and thanks.
    20220614_170355r.jpg

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    That is a great job. Leatherwork is not easy, and to make it look good is even harder. Good forming and good stitching. I made sheaths for knives for about 3- 4 years and stitching is not easy, and none looked any better than that.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is a great job. Leatherwork is not easy, and to make it look good is even harder. Good forming and good stitching. I made sheaths for knives for about 3- 4 years and stitching is not easy, and none looked any better than that.
    Thanks man, I really appreciate that. The stitching could/would have been minimal, and I did consider some type of stamping. In the end, I thought, why not make the stitching the highlight, so there she is. Honestly, the forming was/is the easiest part.

I've only been into leather long enough to buy some tools and start figuring it out. So basically, I'm hooked. I also wanted an alternative to woodworking in the 90-degree heat. I too have made quite a few utility projects trying to learn the craft/tools. Some I use daily, others, well, they have utility. Thanks again for the kind words.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My friend that is B..E..A..Utiful!!
    Clean and nostalgic looking..
    good show sir
    Thank you! This project sat for a long time because I just couldn't settle on "a look." I knew exactly what I wanted, just not how I wanted it to look. In the end, I just decided to step off the edge and see what happened. I'm a big fan of Teddy Roosevelt's writings and as this took shape the influence was obvious so I just went with it.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the kind words, all. I won't let it go to my head, promise. I'm still learning, but it looks like I'm on the right path. Thanks!

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a BUNCH of leather stamps and tools that I am willing to sell/trade if you have interest I'll dig them out.
    Thank you, Sir. If you want to PM me, I'll certainly consider. Up front; no promises, 'cause times is hard and the wife owns the $ ;-). Honestly, in these days/times, your generosity/offer is of more value than any material item. Good to have you out there.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i wonder what that would sell for.... nice job indeed. post a final picture with the straps completed and one on you.

how many hours involved? if you kept track
    Ya know, I have hard time placing value on something I make because the craftsman in me remembers/sees all the flaws/mistakes that other do not, and I somehow penalize myself for that ;-) FWIW, I've seen similar products sell for about $120 to over $300(!). I'm sure mostly of those are mass-produced while this is a one-off that is completely hand-tooled and sewn. No electricity involved, and that's how I wanted it. That just felt "right." This is a hobby for me right now, a kind of zen. I'm not really focused on value, but I do think I could enjoy doing this in retirement, as long as it's fun and doesn't become "a job."

Hours? The planning "hours" were actually months. I knew what I wanted but couldn't decide on the look. I traced the intended gun, worked the math, cut, beveled, and grooved the leather, and then let it sit for literally months until I the color/hardware concept just "popped in there" and finally off I went last month. A pinched nerve in my neck has distracted/slowed me down, but I kept at it. In the end, I would guess I have under 10 hours of actually hands-on time(?), most was spent thinking and searching for inspiration.

So, here's the end result, rigged and ready. I don't know where that crease came from other than each piece of leather is unique; character. I could see it in the raw leather, decided I would run with it, and the dye obviously highlighted it. I OK with it, unique, I think. Will probably even out some as I condition/use the leather.

I went with polypropylene straps because the vendor I used + research indicated poly sheds moisture better than nylon, and although I could have, I just didn't want to do leather strapping, and I had the material handy from another project ;-) I can take all of this off in seconds, throw it in the washer, and put it back on.

Once the temp drops about 30-40 degrees I'll field-test this thing, and probably have to make some adjustments/mods, but that's the way it is. I apologize for the quality of the model. He's all I could get on short notice. Fun fact, literally, the second "selfie" I have ever taken in near 60 years.

Teaser: Wife wants a bed-side holster for her S&W Governor. Gears turning. That's the next project. And there are others...

20220618_105554r.jpg

Top Bottom