Patriot Mobile

Do Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets go bad over time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They have been in my garage for about 8 years. Do they go bad? Also do 209 primers go bad too?

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had some stored in the garage for a couple of years and they went foosh rather than bang and badly fouled the barrel. I live on the water. No issues with the primers. I store them inside now and have dessicant in the container. However, I take new everything hunting.

Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had some stored in the garage for a couple of years and they went foosh rather than bang and badly fouled the barrel. I live on the water. No issues with the primers. I store them inside now and have dessicant in the container. However, I take new everything hunting.
    Thank you.

Master Blaster

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think you may have important point there - mine are also kept in a container with desiccant packs - being climate controlled also keeps the humidity in check. Both black powder and the subs are known to degrade due to exposure to moisture.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    They have been in my garage for about 8 years. Do they go bad? Also do 209 primers go bad too?
    I called Hodgdon on this very topic. If stored properly it will never go bad is what I was told. They told me moisture is the bane of black powder. However, if the powder had a good seal it might be fine. It may have warmed in the garage but it still might be okay.

Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I called Hodgdon on this very topic. If stored properly it will never go bad is what I was told. They told me moisture is the bane of black powder. However, if the powder had a good seal it might be fine. It may have warmed in the garage but it still might be okay.
    Thank you for that info.

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you research that is not true black powder substitutes are hydroscopic they love water real black powder can be soaked in water then dried and will actually gain a little strength. 45-70 rounds that are a hundred years old shoot as they should long as primers are good.
    Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom