• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think I have much room in my garage for both my XL650 and a single stage press. So I had two questions about using the XL 650.

1) Is there really a drop in quality in using the Dillon vs a single stage press? I'm not looking at obtaining match quality but will be using these rounds for hunting.
    2) Dillon sells carbide dies for 223 and 30-06 but they are way expensive ($180 and $300 respectively). Compared to other well regarded brands like Redding that seems high. Does anyone know why this is? I love my 650 and Dillon has been awesome as far as customer service goes so I'd like to stick with them as far as brand loyalty goes but I wanted to see if there is anything special about these as compared to others.

Thanks!

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my opinion, for hunting rounds, any single stage would work great. I use a Lee Classic Cast and love it. As far as dies, I like my RCBS ones. I don't have any Dillon presses but I do have a Super Swage and it's very well built. I believe you are paying for quality or the press and dies but I don't think you will notice any difference in the quality of ammo produced.

EDIT: I think I misread your question...

The quality of ammo should be the same on the Dillon as what you would produce on a single stage. You can always double measure the powder and hand check the seat depth to insure consistency.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The carbide dies don’t require case lube. You will not have to prep your cases with lube then later clean the cases when using the carbide dies. Also this keeps the process cleaner especially while using the case feeder

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a friend with a Dillon that he runs with an auto drive. Ammo is more consistent than factory - usually under 5fps difference on the chrono - pistol and 5.56

SODAPOPMG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think that you are comparing carbide to steel die pricing carbide is a lot more $$$ and is mainly
    for commercial use, Dillon also sells steel dies for those calibers for a lot less
    some bad information up above, even with carbide dies for bottle neck cases you will need to lube the cases so unless
    you are planning to load a million rounds the extra price for carbide is not worth it

RustedBolt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think that you are comparing carbide to steel die pricing carbide is a lot more $$$ and is mainly
    for commercial use, Dillon also sells steel dies for those calibers for a lot less
    some bad information up above, even with carbide dies for bottle neck cases you will need to lube the cases so unless
    you are planning to load a million rounds the extra price for carbide is not worth it
    Yeah, I second the bottle neck and lube. I bought carbide dies thinking my messy lube days were over. After trashing quite a few cases for deformed shoulders and necks....back to the lube (though I was able to reliably use a spray lube).

Top Bottom