• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Med24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have a Dillon 550b question. Loading 38 and I keep getting different powder amounts. In my attempt to troubleshoot I read somewhere the Dillon may require some "warm up" once the toolhead is swapped so I gave it a good 40 or so powder only drops before I started actually measuring. Here are 10, they vary from 3.2-3.4. I have 2 scales (also pictured). The measurements come from the digital one (Frankford arsenal, passes calibration test), the beam measures 3.3 on pretty much all of them, but I consider it a bit more imprecise (which is why I got the digital).

What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_20230429_024723290.jpg
      IMG_20230429_024723290.jpg
      238.9 KB · Views: 41

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Trust the beam scale.

My experience with my 550's is get them set and they are good to go.

I have a Dillon brand digital scale, it is finicky.

I load low to mid range, never push max loads, so I don't sweat the minor variances on my digital scale.

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had my 550 for around 20 years and to be honest, .2gr of variance is about as good as you'll get. Even my Redding BR measure will vary.2 gr. Using a ball powder and using consistent speed and force on the ram will get it about as close as it's capable of. I use my 550 for handgun ammo, mostly .45acp and that amount of variance is acceptable. Hunting and rifle ammo gets pressed on my single stage.

Med24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm trying to load some "lowest end possible" 38 for practice loads in my 38 taurus revolver. I need to practice with it more, but it's hurts my small(ish) hands. I intentionally bought the full metal (not aluminum) and a 6 shot for the extra weight, I can't imagine what it would be without that! Been doing a good bit of dry fire, but I gotta add the heat at some point.
    This week I dropped it down a little more to the 3.0 range. Lowest range on my 158gr with alliant bullseye is 2.8. I don't want to get to low and end up with a bunch of squibs, lol.

I shot some of the 3.0 and the 3.2 today and they are better than what I had, but I think I'm going to drop it a little more and see how it goes. Opinions welcome...

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    it may be something you have to live with...with the flake or extruded powder...probably throws ball powder better

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve noticed that all digital scales read better when they have been left on for at least 15 minutes. I have a Dillon digital scale that reads true when warmed up.

I tested my scale using known weights from a friend’s pharmacy scale that probably cost $5k.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Tap the hopper several times after filling. Helps keep the throw consistent. Make sure the powder bar returns at the same place everytime. Might need to adjust the return spring.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Any progressive reloader can be finicky on the powder drop, The way I have found that is most consistent is to cycle the machine the way you would when actually loading. Soft pedaling it just for the powder drop does not simulate the machine vibrations created when running the machine reloading. This does make a difference. Also, once I get the machine set up and the carrier full and loading, I stop and check the powder charge. The shaking of the machine is different when the machine is full of cases and sizing on station one that it is when the machine is empty and you are just setting the powder drop. I shoot cowboy action and use 38 specials. We strive to the lightest reliable load we can make. I shoot 2.9 grains of clays powder in my loads and they are really soft. I have gone to 2.7 but in the winter when temps are in the 40's or below I get some funky ignition so I went back up to 2.9. Fast burning shotgun powders are your friend for light loads. Red dot, Clay dot and American select are all good choices and have become more available lately. Unless you have a large quantity of Clays I wouldn't work up a load for that but Clay Dot is virtually identical.

AOCMCMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Agree with the suggestions offered. I have loaded with a Dillon 550 for about 15 years. Experienced the same issues. General range fodder, I don’t sweat it hand gun or rifle. For hunting and target rounds, still load them one at the time on an Old RCBS press, powder measure and beam scale. No doubt the new digital scales are accurate. when trust is an issue I revert to the old RCBS scale. Good luck with your effort.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom