• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dilemma

• Total voters

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was my brother-in-law‘s attitude when he sportarized a large ring 8 mm Mauser K 98 made in 1915 or 16 in Berlin. If he had left it alone it would be worth over $1500 but after he had the chamber drilled so he could use 30/06 brass with 8 mm bullets making it an 8mm/06 in a Monte Carlo stock it’s not worth near what it would be in original condition
    Not sure if K 98 is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it happens.

Now you want to know the crazy side of this. Your Brother in law does something like that to one rifle for himself and he brings down its value. If you Brother in law worked for a South American country and he did that to 100s of guns for a military unit.

Then he made a variation and it may be worth more.

Moral to the story make more then one. :)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'll put some real thought into this. Cause once it's cut, it's cut. I see the point in chopping it because it's not special. But really what would I get more use/fun out of, a blaster for the cannibal hordes or a turkey, squril blaster. Don't know.
    I started this thread to gain some informative input on this, and I have. Very good discussion.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    From one Reb to another, leave it alone brother. Find one that’s already been chopped. I’ve cut 3 down that I can remember and regretted it. And I’ve bought them already shortened and it didn’t bother me. I’ve sporterized military rifles too that I wish I hadn’t of done as well. It is yours though , do as you please.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    From one Reb to another, leave it alone brother. Find one that’s already been chopped. I’ve cut 3 down that I can remember and regretted it. And I’ve bought them already shortened and it didn’t bother me. I’ve sporterized military rifles too that I wish I hadn’t of done as well. It is yours though , do as you please.
    Been looking for one of the newer made hammer bounty hunters, but damm everyone I see they think it's a browning gold trigger.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By Gum Rebel_rider you got me so fired up over this thread that I decided to pull the trigger and get a double BBL shotgun finally. Checked out a local flea market that had a few to look at. Did not have enough to get a newer one like yours, so got a little more used older model and saved a few bucks.

Its a Whitney

DSCF0727.JPG

DSCF0729.JPG

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Very nice gun you found there indy1919a4, I like old guns with rabbit ears

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Never saw one with 3 triggers, the front trigger must be to open the breech?

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The third trigger is a bad idea in my opinion, but it looks nice. Would not like to pull the wrong trigger at the wrong tiime

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Looks like ideal country to carry a short range gun.
    NO ... WAIT ... !! If it has 28" bbls it must be able to pattern a coyote at150yds ...? ?... right ?? --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Looks like ideal country to carry a short range gun.
    NO ... WAIT ... !! If it has 28" bbls it must be able to pattern a coyote at150yds ...? ?... right ?? --- SAWMAN
    Nope. Was over in the oaks down by the river. Saw doves, no squirrels. Killed a paper plate at 100 feet though! Need some big cardboard to pattern. Using left barrel. Supposed to be full choke.

Attachments

• 20211018_152100.jpg
      20211018_152100.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 92

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Don’t mean to derail.. but this site I found when searching.. if you need a part!?!

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very cool. Tell us more about it!! CHOP IT!! LOL.
    You know not much to tell like with some guns. The M1 Garand or 1873 Colt SAA. Those guns history's are scoured and so well researched that sometimes you can find out what the assembly line employees had for lunch back on the 28th of March. One nice thing about those older shotguns, there is not alot out there.. And one can argue that shotguns really won the west.

But this gun was only made by Whitney for about 3 - 4 years. Maybe a little over 1000 made. Seems like earlier serial numbered models (under 100) did not have the trigger guard for the break trigger. It was the model type of shotgun that Bob Olinger purchased new to guard a prisoner named William Bonney aka Billy the Kid. (We all know that did not go well)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Don’t mean to derail.. but this site I found when searching.. if you need a part!?!

Thanks, might need a left side firing pin. This one is pretty worn. Had a click, no boom today. It looks shorter than the right one.

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Top Bottom