• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dilemma

• Total voters

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Picked up this old gem from a member here. Riverside arms hammer gun model 215 I believe. 28 inch. The oldest this gun could be is 1930. (End of production) could be from the 20's. It's a Stevens/ Savage cousin. Top of the left barrel is stamped "forged in one piece" ? Rib between the barrels is solid all the way down. Solidered, welded. Braised? Machine marks and cuts all over, definitely hand built. Tight lockup. Like pinch a hair in it, tight. Throw lever is centered and stays centered. Extractors. Appears to be in good shape for the age. Shot it with 7.5. Bird load. Barrels are properly regulated. Shoots true. Patterns well. No scars in barrel. Bright bore. Chokes by looking and reading are full and mod. No choke stamps on barrels. Hammers have some flop, wiggle. Pins are in good shape. Strong springs. Don't know what kind of steel they used back then but it looks great, almost slick. No bluing left. No rust!
    Now the problem. I bought this to chop and make a cowboy/ HD, Truck gun. Now after really looking it over and shooting it I don't think I can bring myself to chop it. Red mark on barrels is 18.5. Was also going to go full brass shells, wad,card with bp and make buckish shot using the drip method. Could still do that I guess.

Not bad for almost 100 years old.... in your face Glock!!!

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20211007_144221.jpg
      20211007_144221.jpg
      9.8 MB · Views: 224
    • 20211007_144248_002.jpg
      20211007_144248_002.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 222
    • 20211007_155233.jpg
      20211007_155233.jpg
      4 MB · Views: 218
    Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No way I could bring myself to cut, chop. Leave that piece of history in its original version they don’t make those anymore.
    Raven has the right idea about getting a Turkish or some other cheap double one to cho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Soooooo .... I take it that this is a $200 gun. NOT damascus steel ??
    Parts availibility is - -> ??
    Sounds to me that given your excellent description this is a semi good example of a "project" gun.
    If the lockup is tight and the ignition system is sound (reliable) it should be ok.
    Nothing wrong with using a non big name gun for a project just as long as you start off with a "solid" gun. The name,bbl length,hammer or not (your preference),bluing remaining,rough looking stock,etc,is all of no consequence.
    CHOP !! BOTH BBL AND STOCK.
    I realize your knuckles drag the ground when you walk. HOWEVER - -> a shorter LOP will allow the weapon to come up and shoulder faster. Especially with NO spongy rubber recoil pad.
    Suggest you talk to JJ about this (FTF with gun in hand). I have,and he can do the project. --- SAWMAN

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Soooooo .... I take it that this is a $200 gun. NOT damascus steel ??
    Parts availibility is - -> ??
    Sounds to me that given your excellent description this is a semi good example of a "project" gun.
    If the lockup is tight and the ignition system is sound (reliable) it should be ok.
    Nothing wrong with using a non big name gun for a project just as long as you start off with a "solid" gun. The name,bbl length,hammer or not (your preference),bluing remaining,rough looking stock,etc,is all of no consequence.
    CHOP !! BOTH BBL AND STOCK.
    I realize your knuckles drag the ground when you walk. HOWEVER - -> a shorter LOP will allow the weapon to come up and shoulder faster. Especially with NO spongy rubber recoil pad.
    Suggest you talk to JJ about this (FTF with gun in hand). I have,and he can do the project. --- SAWMAN
    Don’t cut it, buy one that somebody else has already cut. I’ve cut several down over the years and in the end truly regretted doing so. If you ain’t happy with the length of it sell it to somebody that would love it like it is, me, lol

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its your gun, do as you want.. But if its not broken why fix it. Get another that needs fixing and have both..

Double BBL shotguns with issues are common and out there so a replacement will be easy.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I'd say cut it. It's your gun. Nothing is meant to last forever. Get your own enjoyment out of it. Not the same thing, but I had a gunsmith cut a 10/22 "Liberty" barrel. No regrets.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Thanks, fellas. Any restrictions on shell types, it's only made for 2 3/4. Would never shoot slugs out of it. I like to use hi bird #6 for critters, but it's a higher fps shell. Photo of pin strikes.

Attachments

• 20211015_073727.jpg
      20211015_073727.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 86

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    " Nothing is meant to last forever. Get your own enjoyment out of it (the weapon)".
    Well said. Right on. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yep,no slugs of any type. Even the sabot kind. I would not even shoot buck thru it.
    No real reason to shoot even the high pressure loads thru it. You got other guns for that.
    CURIOUS - -> 28" double - -> why would you want to lug this around thru the woods ??
    Not me. For a shotgun,19 inches of bbl is all you need.
    With the burning rate of the powder,bore size,and extremely LOW working pressures involved,anything over 19 inches is wasted.
    SKEPTICAL FINE,BUT PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO,PROVE THIS.
    THANKS --- SAWMAN

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I would NOT chop it. I would restore it, and find another one to chop, or find one that is made the way you want to chop this gun. Just my 2 cents worth.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Unfortunately ... missed my chance on a cut and chop.
    Should have picked up the 10ga SXS listed here a month or so ago.
    Contacted the seller but never set up a meet.
    I snoozed ... I loozed. --- SAWMAN
    I know the feller that got the 10, you should have jumped on it

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Picked up this old gem from a member here. Riverside arms hammer gun model 215 I believe. 28 inch. The oldest this gun could be is 1930. (End of production) could be from the 20's. It's a Stevens/ Savage cousin. Top of the left barrel is stamped "forged in one piece" ? Rib between the barrels is solid all the way down. Solidered, welded. Braised? Machine marks and cuts all over, definitely hand built. Tight lockup. Like pinch a hair in it, tight. Throw lever is centered and stays centered. Extractors. Appears to be in good shape for the age. Shot it with 7.5. Bird load. Barrels are properly regulated. Shoots true. Patterns well. No scars in barrel. Bright bore. Chokes by looking and reading are full and mod. No choke stamps on barrels. Hammers have some flop, wiggle. Pins are in good shape. Strong springs. Don't know what kind of steel they used back then but it looks great, almost slick. No bluing left. No rust!
    Now the problem. I bought this to chop and make a cowboy/ HD, Truck gun. Now after really looking it over and shooting it I don't think I can bring myself to chop it. Red mark on barrels is 18.5. Was also going to go full brass shells, wad,card with bp and make buckish shot using the drip method. Could still do that I guess.

Not bad for almost 100 years old.... in your face Glock!!!

Thoughts?
    If you ain’t happy with it send me a PM and I’ll come give it a new home

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Hey James - -> "pattern it" ??
    What results would you be looking for to make it a "turkey gun" ?? ---- SAWMAN
    See how dense or open it is. If it's very dense it would probably be a good one. Modern guns with screw in chokes don't seem to do as well. In my limited experience. Most of my turkey shots are 100 feet.

Top Bottom