• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many of the higher end shotguns come with shims that adjust comb and cast. Cast on or off is the bent buttstock for right hand or left handed shooters. Some of my shotguns also have a right hand palm swell in the pistol grip. Typically the bottom or #1 barrel is fired first, however on a sporting clays range it is often easier to select the top barrel for the first shot if is a longer bird.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great info gents. I really did not know all this.
    My gun is a SXS with double hammers and double triggers.
    Can cock and fire either one,or I suspect BOTH at the same time. The outside bbl is fired by the fwd trigger. It WAS the full choke bbl. --- SAWMAN
    Is there any mention of waterfowl & does your scattergun have 28 or longer barrels SAWMAN?

A setup with a FULL choke 1ST and probably MOD after would be beneficial for waterfowl entering a decoy field. With the fist shot being fired at the edge of the decoy field and the second being more open as they flared off the landing closer in to the shooter. But I've not seen a SXS used for waterfowl since steel shot was mandated along the flyways. YMMV.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My Franchi 20ga came with a bunch of shims for cast on/off and drop at comb.
    After some trial and error I got the gun set for me. The double mentioned above is now a cyl bore( X2). So is my older Savage/Stevens 620 pump gun.
    I do not/will not hunt ducks or geese. Crows,squirrels,and pass shooting doves are my applications. Also yotes with my Benelli.
    Note: My Franchi 20ga (26" bbl) using my long range Patternmaster choke shoots UNBELIEVEABLY TIGHT !! All shot in a 30" circle @ 40yds. --- SAWMAN

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Good point. Cast off/on and drop at both the heel and comb are important. Mostly because you don’t “aim” a shotgun the same way you do a rifle or pistol. Shooting a shotgun is not about lining up your front and rear sights consistently. Shooting a shotgun is about how the shotgun “fits“ so that while you are focused on the target as it moves, your pattern of shot goes where you’re looking. (As soon as I look at my front sight, I miss)… And stop my swing, and raise my head, and fail to follow through, and flinch etc. etc. — I’m capable of missing any shot at any time. And I often do.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went quail hunting couple of weeks ago at Dennis Lake Wing Club . It was a charity hunt for PSC scholarships. I took my 28ga. and it took me a couple of birds to get warmed up. But had a great time and killed a lot of birds. I was surprised that we found two wild coveys on our hunt. Great place to hunt quail, will go there again for sure.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Franchi 20ga came with a bunch of shims for cast on/off and drop at comb.
    After some trial and error I got the gun set for me. The double mentioned above is now a cyl bore( X2). So is my older Savage/Stevens 620 pump gun.
    I do not/will not hunt ducks or geese. Crows,squirrels,and pass shooting doves are my applications. Also yotes with my Benelli.
    Note: My Franchi 20ga (26" bbl) using my long range Patternmaster choke shoots UNBELIEVEABLY TIGHT !! All shot in a 30" circle @ 40yds. --- SAWMAN
    Each barrel was trained for max pattern at 40 yards, regardless of which side of the barrel. Just a manufactures idiom. Sorry to stray from the O/U theme. JMHO.

Last edited:

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my neck of the woods at sporting clays many of the "better" shooters use automatics and a fuller choke, no worrying about barrel / choke selection then.

I was never that good so I liked five stand with my double trigger O/U and SxS because selecting the right barrel was faster, easier and more intuitive than my shotguns with a barrel selector. I never hunted with a shotgun with a selector.

Weatherman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wise folks here. It all makes sense if I can apply it.
    The gun does have a selector. Is it common practice to shoot the top or bottom barrel first for the closer up shot?
    The bottom barrel is shot first, on the idea that the recoil is straighter, so the recovery time is less. The top barrel recoil results in more barrel flip, so recovery for the second shot would take longer if the top barrel is fired first. That was the theory, anyway.

surfer56

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I could use some feedback from this illustrious crowd, My son recently borrowed my Browning Citori to shoot sporting clays near Molino. My gun is 26" barrels and he said most were using 28 or 30". So he's asking about extended chokes which I know nothing about. I bought it strictly for Quail, Pheasant and Doves.
    Love to hear some feedback on upgrading the chokes.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I could use some feedback from this illustrious crowd, My son recently borrowed my Browning Citori to shoot sporting clays near Molino. My gun is 26" barrels and he said most were using 28 or 30". So he's asking about extended chokes which I know nothing about. I bought it strictly for Quail, Pheasant and Doves.
    Love to hear some feedback on upgrading the chokes.
    Longer barrels are for balance and swing. Different Guns need different lengths to feel right.

External chokes usually separate the wad from the load quicker which opens quicker.

I have used smoke cokes for years for sporting clays.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    IMHO. The length of the barrels is not a major importance. And an open choke, somewhere between cylinder and IC would be great for quail, doves, and pheasants over dogs.
    What is critical in shotguns, is “Fit.” Does the length, drop at comb and heel align the barrels where you are looking? Cast off/on and drop at both the heel and comb are important. Mostly because you don’t “aim” a shotgun the same way you do a rifle or pistol. Shooting a shotgun is not about lining up your front and rear sights consistently. Shooting a shotgun is about how the shotgun “fits“ so that while you are focused on the target as it moves, your pattern of shot goes where you’re looking. (As soon as I look at my front sight, I miss)… And stop my swing, and raise my head, and fail to follow through, and flinch etc. etc. — I’m capable of missing any shot at any time. And I often do.
    Again. IMHO.
    Don’t worry about the length of the barrels, worry about the fit of the shotgun

Tommytwotone

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see a lot of folks use a different choke in each barrel, but not sure the reason.
    this is my first one so forgive me. I know I need to pattern them, but is there a method to choosing a choke for a particular barrel?
    Typically you can select which barrel goes first. When shooting doubles second shot is usually closer so you can shoot tighter choke at the first bird, more open choke at second bird in the double. My brother has a tristar over/under and I like it. Not sure whst model number it is. You won’t mistake it for a citori but I like it for the money. I have two of the Tristar autos(raptor) in twenty guage and think they are a good value. Again, not a beretta or whatever, but good value.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I had always shot semi auto mod barrels. I've learned a lot about chokes over the last year and a half. Stepped up my game from where I was but probably subpar to a good shooter. I have fun with my dad and that's all that matters.

Top Bottom