• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I see a lot of folks use a different choke in each barrel, but not sure the reason.
    this is my first one so forgive me. I know I need to pattern them, but is there a method to choosing a choke for a particular barrel?

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Chokes Restrict the shot pattern. They go from cylinder (no choke), to skeet, Improve cylinder, modified, improved modified, full, and sometimes turkey. The amount of construction is dependent upon the gauge.
    It’s easy to Google choke restrictions for each gauge.
    That said, you use the more open chokes for a larger pattern up close- Think skeet or dove. The more closed chokes are for keeping your pattern intact at longer ranges - think 25 yd line trap, waterfowl and turkey.
    But you are correct, pattern each choke at different ranges so you know what you’re shot density looks like. Then you can choose according to whatever game/target is appropriate
    If you’re hunting, and you have an double barrel, and you shoot the first barrel, It is normally a more open choke for a first shot at relatively close range. The second barrel is more closed, To keep your pattern intact at a second shot which is normally at a longer range.
    Good luck and good shooting
    JMHO

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Check that your chokes are compatible with buckshot and steel shot.
    I always have a cyl bore choke with me. Also a max constriction choke for the longest range targets.
    There is a plus for having double triggers.
    Look into the PATTERN MASTER series. I use them in 20 and 12. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like to have the more open choke in the bottom barrel.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    O/U guns make excellent turkey guns for this reason. An open choke in the bottom (#1) barrel is good for closer shots and a tighter choke in the #2 barrel for longer shots. As long as your gun has a barrel selector. In sporting clays it is often good to have two different chokes as the first bird may be close and the second farther or vice versa.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hunt squirrels, mostly, and to have a barrel that keeps your #6 shot closer together is better for a squirrel high up in a tree, or farther away, while a more open choke is better when they spot you, and start their trapeze act. You never know what they're going to do, so it helps to be prepared.
    And, if you get an opportunistic shot at a coyote, or other predator, (and it's legal where you're hunting) a tighter choke will keep your buckshot pattern tighter, farther. It's much easier to reload one barrel, than a pump or autoloader. Just remember which barrel has the buckshot.

Tige

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sawman makes an important point. Most choke restrictions are for lead. Steel, bismuth, metric shot, etc. etc. will perform differently. Newer tubes will often designate two different chokes for the same tube, one for steel and one for lead. The general rule of thumb is to add 2 restrictions. (Skeet becomes mod, IC becomes IM and Mod becomes Full). It is generally thought to be unwise to shoot steel through anything tighter than Mod.
    Be careful or you lose the the end of your barrel.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also - -> in my experience some guns will shoot buckshot tighter thru mod than from full.
    My Benelli M1 Super 90 is like that. That is the reason why I use a Patternmaster for longer range yotes. --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can't select which barrel shoots first, then you may not be able to put the more open choke on the bottom, but having the more open choke in the barrel that shoots first would be the correct option. Usually when flushing game your first shot is in closer than the subsequent second shot as the game gets further away. Selective or Double Triggers allow for more shooting/barrel options. You have got allot of good information from the folks above.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Wise folks here. It all makes sense if I can apply it.
    The gun does have a selector. Is it common practice to shoot the top or bottom barrel first for the closer up shot?

Tige

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Generally it is thought to keep your open choke in the bottom barrel. The idea is that there is a quicker recovery from the bottom barrel then from the top. Or so shotgun lore has it

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wise folks here. It all makes sense if I can apply it.
    The gun does have a selector. Is it common practice to shoot the top or bottom barrel first for the closer up shot?
    In theory, bottom barrel first lower axis faster recovery and closer target so offset to sighting axis less prevalent. Upper barrel is more aligned to sight plane so it should allow for more accuracy at the longer distance.

PS Side by sides have a different theory, but since this is an O/U it doesn't apply. O/U are more comparable to single barrel pump/semiautomatic styles.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What "theory" is used with SXS guns ?? ---- SAWMAN
    RH-LH dependent on stock cant, usual barrel (first trigger) inside more open choked barrel naturally moves outer tighter choked barrel closer to in line for longer shot.

Tige

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    What "theory" is used with SXS guns ?? ---- SAWMAN
    For right handed shooters, the theory is the right barrel is the front trigger (two trigger guns are better, If one breaks, you still have the other. Not so with single trigger guns) and more open choked. The left barrel is the more constricted and the back trigger. Right hand shooters have Stocks that are normally bent a little for right handed cant.
    For left-hand shooters, it’s the other way around. At least on fine SxS shotguns

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For right handed shooters, the theory is the right barrel is the front trigger (two trigger guns are better, If one breaks, you still have the other. Not so with single trigger guns) and more open choked. The left barrel is the more constricted and the back trigger. Right hand shooters have Stocks that are normally bent a little for right handed cant.
    For left-hand shooters, it’s the other way around. At least on fine SxS shotguns
    So since we have narrowed it down to right handed shooters my, L.C. Smith & Parker fired the left (inside barrel) with the forward trigger, while Fox & Savage fired the right (outside barrel) with the forward trigger. Theory and actual design don't have to match, it's best to find out which barrel the SXS your using is designed to fire first. JMHO. Usually the maker will match the most open choke to the forward trigger regardless if it is right/left. With modern screw in chokes it shall be up to the end user on which would be more restricted.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Great info gents. I really did not know all this.
    My gun is a SXS with double hammers and double triggers.
    Can cock and fire either one,or I suspect BOTH at the same time. The outside bbl is fired by the fwd trigger. It WAS the full choke bbl. --- SAWMAN

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    It looks like you have a lot of good answers here but I will throw my .02 cents in anyway. Quail hunting is the only thing I use a double barrel for. I have a Ruger Red Label 20 and a Browning Citori .410, both with interchangeable choke tubes. I normally use a cylinder or skeet in my bottom barrel for the initial covey rise and while they are close. My top barrel is normally improved or modified for the further away shot. It really depends on the birds really and how they are flying. Some breeders of pen raised birds don’t have big enough fly pens so most of the birds will only fly a short distance.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    This thread has more info than Google. And no bickering from my searches on other forums. Someone usually asks a question and the 2 know it all's want to argue and not give real input. I appreciate it guys. Got a good bit of chokes from academy. Will have to make due this weekend but ordered the rest that academy didn't have off Amazon.

Reactions: sj1
    Top Bottom