• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • series70fan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Has anyone else experienced this? The “cap” of the primer comes off but the body stays in the primer pocket. I’ve loaded thousands of bullets from all manufacturers but I’ve never experienced this. Both of these are factory primed cases.

Attachments

• FC5B9E2D-8D04-4541-B2C9-007C1FD9C1BC.jpeg
      FC5B9E2D-8D04-4541-B2C9-007C1FD9C1BC.jpeg
      3.3 MB · Views: 137

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    If that was once fired brass/used I would say to me it looks like a bushing in the primer
    pocket to convert LP to SP?? I know people do something similar with berdan primed brass to be able to reprime them

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have ruin in to this a lot before, made a tool to re move the part that did not come out, Find this this with certain brand of ammo , was caused from thin primer cups and the cup is weaken from the priming compound, the crimp. and the the punch pushing out the center of the primer cup and leaving the walls of the cup. After removing's the wall the brass you have no more problem loading the brass again. If you don't want it I will take it. Just my 5 cents jj

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone else experienced this? The “cap” of the primer comes off but the body stays in the primer pocket. I’ve loaded thousands of bullets from all manufacturers but I’ve never experienced this. Both of these are factory primed cases.
    I have had cap tops punch out with walls of the primer cup left behind on military cases. There are people that will drill off the top of a berdan large rifle primer and insert a small rifle boxer primer counting on the remaining primer wall to allow the new smaller diameter primer to seat. I saw that on YouTube.

series70fan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In today’s world I hate to throw anything ammo related away, but fortunately I have several thousand pieces of 45 brass stock piled.
    I just thought it was interesting that it happened. Like I said I’ve been loading for 50 years and it has never happened before.
    BTW It was once fired Winchester 230 grain ball ammo.

Reactions: FLT

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I mainly see it on crimped pockets. They aren't hard to get with a bunch of practice.

SDDasher

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Purchase a decrimping tool from Midway. Military brass primers are crimped into the primer pockets for consistency in ignition and waterproofing. I’ve decrimped hundreds of 556 & 762 brass to be reloaded.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Purchase a decrimping tool from Midway. Military brass primers are crimped into the primer pockets for consistency in ignition and waterproofing. I’ve decrimped hundreds of 556 & 762 brass to be reloaded.
    What you suggest will not prevent the: 'The “cap” of the primer comes off but the body stays in the primer pocket.' You must first get the primer out before you de-crimp the primer pocket.
    Crimping is mostly done to make sure that the primer stays fixed in the primer pocket is normally seem most on military ammo intended for autoloading weapons. For water proofing, normally sealant is used. In picture below the sealant is green and one can see three staking marks intended to keep the primer in place.

1619145982259.png

1619146346770.png

Below is crimped M2 ball, Utah Plant, 30-06 1943 with purple sealant

SDDasher

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What you suggest will not prevent the: 'The “cap” of the primer comes off but the body stays in the primer pocket.' You must first get the primer out before you de-crimp the primer pocket.
    Crimping is mostly done to make sure that the primer stays fixed in the primer pocket is normally seem most on military ammo intended for autoloading weapons. For water proofing, normally sealant is used. In picture below the sealant is green and one can see three staking marks intended to keep the primer in place.

View attachment 116980

View attachment 116981
    Below is crimped M2 ball, Utah Plant, 30-06 1943 with purple sealant
    What I was “suggesting” was a solution to a deprimed piece of brass where the primer had been crimped. A primer pocket swager tool will swage the crimp allowing a new primer to be inserted into the pocket.
    It is virtually impossible to remove any primer from the pocket using appropriate depriming dies/tools where the “cap of the primer comes off and the body remains in the pocket”. A primer is made up of the entire cup with anvils and ignition material inside the cup.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had this happen this week with Hornady 30-30 brass, had to swage the pocket out before I could re-prime.

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A Tabletop Drill Press with appropriate size drill bit, and a pair of pliers to hold the brass Makes Quick work of it.

Only drill out the Crimp! !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0677 (1).jpg
      IMG_0677 (1).jpg
      112.6 KB · Views: 94
    Top Bottom