• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently added one of these to my "go bag" for working in the "bush" of Alaska, where cell phone service simply doesn't exist. Although those areas aren't quite as common on the Gulf Coast, I do feel this device will be an added piece of security for the outdoorsman/hunter - as well as a means of communication anywhere on the globe. And I mean anywhere. Hardware costs run just under $300 (a fraction of a Satellite phone) and service plans are as low as $9.95 per month.

I used the device this past week while working in rural Western Alaska after flying into Bethel, AK. I was able to send two-way text messages to family -- updating them on my status. In addition, they were also able to follow my progress on a map through the use of the MapShare function.

Unlike the 406 MHz PLB/ELTs or similar devices like the SPOT. The Delorme InReach SE allows you to know when your activated SOS has been received -- and you can communicate with responders via Satellite through the emergency communications center. Accuracy of location has averaged +/- 16 feet during the limited time I have used the device. It works through the Iridium Satellite Network. I personally will carry the InReach SE as well as a McMurdo 406 MHz PLB.

Check it out at:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

I good video showing the device in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQukvj_diI&noredirect=1

Last edited:
    Top Bottom