• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So it's time to do a little rethinking, I'll need to make some decisions. Got allot of shuffling to do. For starters it's time to strip the 2-10x36 Weaver ilum EMDR off the 06 Ruger Guide Gun. Since 34mm rings are a little scarce, I'll strip the 3-15x50 Ilum EMDR Weaver off a Remington Milspec. That allows me to mount the S&B PMII to the Milspec with 34mm rings, and drop the 3-15x50 ilum EMDR Weaver on the 30mm Ruger Rings. It should add about 7 ounces to the 06 Ruger Guide Gun, but the 6.2 lbs .308 Ruger Scout Rifle should take it's place as a shoulder fired field rifle. Now if the forward Scout Mounted scope isn't to my liking, I can drop the 2-10x36 Weaver ilum EMDR at approximately the same weight, but the balance will shift towards the bolt.

How would you do it?

Bottom line: I'll end up with a 26 inch Rem North American equipped with a 5-25 Steiner. A 24 inch Rem Milspec equipped with a 3-12 S&B PMII, a 22 inch Rem Milspec equipped with a 3-15 Ilum EMDR Weaver Tactical, a 20 inch Rem Milspec equipped with a can & 3-15 Ilum EMDR Weaver Tactical, and I can use one of the 3-15 Ilum EMDR Weaver Tactical Scopes on the Ruger 06 Guide Gun until I purchase another scope or get all the rifles back from barreling. Which frees up the 2-10x36 Weaver Ilum EMDR for use on the Ruger Scout if I determine that the forward mounted scout scope isn't to my liking.

Attachments

• Guide Gun.jpg
      Guide Gun.jpg
      558 KB · Views: 79
    • 700 5R.jpg
      700 5R.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    DAMN ..... MY HEAD IS SPINNING.
    If this still about a scout scope ?? If so,I believe that you are completely missing Mr. Coopers way of thinking. Which personally ... I am in complete agreement with. (for what that's worth).
    What is your objective ?? What problem needs solving ?? Distances ?? Eye relief ?? Scope's zoom ??
    Are you trying to have it all ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DAMN ..... MY HEAD IS SPINNING.
    If this still about a scout scope ?? If so,I believe that you are completely missing Mr. Coopers way of thinking. Which personally ... I am in complete agreement with. (for what that's worth).
    What is your objective ?? What problem needs solving ?? Distances ?? Eye relief ?? Scope's zoom ??
    Are you trying to have it all ?? --- SAWMAN

The scout scope is one of the pending decisions, but this is about juggling the line up while awaiting the scout rifle to come online.

3 of my 4 Remington bolts can run the 1K KD Range. But usually only 2 out of the 3 1K range Rem's are Range Ready, barrel changes etc.... So the FFP S&B and FFP Steiner usually sit atop the Rem's Ready for the 1k KDR.

The .223 Rem usually has a FFP 3-15 Mildot Weaver, the same scope sits atop the 5.56 AR when the ATN NVS isn't on duty.

The ( mostly spare) scope for the 3 Rem rotation is a FFP 3-15 Illuminated EMDR Weaver. That is capable even at the 1K line. But it's almost 20 ounces.

The Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 Guide Gun has the same 2-10x36 FFP Illuminated EMDR Weaver as used on the Ruger Mini-30. (Weavers 2-10x36 FFP Illuminated EMDR is currently not in production.) So if I'm dissatisfied with forward mounted scope (which ever I end up with) I'll take the 2-10 FFP il EMDR off the 8+ lb 30-06 Hawkeye and Mount it with standard Ruger Rings in the more traditional manner on the Scout Rifle. (Might need to order 30mm rings for the Scout Rifle) The 6.2 Lb Scout rifle has a greater concern for an extra 8 ounces of scope weight than the 8+ Lb 30-06 Hawkeye Guide Gun. IMO.

So I currently have the spare 3-15 FFP illuminated EMDR Weaver that I can mount on the Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 Guide Gun. If I leave it mounted to the Guide Gun, I'll need to get another scope for the 3rd Rem in the 1K Rotation.

Bottom line: I'll need to select a Forward mounted long eye relief Scout Scope to test/mount on the Scout Rifle. Just have to decide on which one? If I pull the 2-10 FFP illuminated EMDR Weaver off the Guide Gun and mount it on the Scout Rifle I can either purchase another in production scope specifically for the Guide Gun, or take the 3-15 FFP illuminated EMDR Weaver out of the 1K rotation and purchase either another 3-15 FFP illuminated EMDR or a $3K High End Optic to add to the 1K rotation of Remington's. Hope that clears up some of the decisions that I'm ask about in order to get better input from others so that I can make a more educated decisions. Thanks.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With all 4 of the Remington's being basically Bench/Prone Target rifles overall rifle weight as long as it's below comp standards are not very important. Scope Clarity at extended long distance is.

With the Ruger Mini-30, Hawkeye 30-06 Guide Gun, and the on order .308 Win Scout Rifle, all of which are shoulder fired field rifles overall rifle weight is important. Which means that as much as I'd like to have the precision/clarity of a 34mm tubed 5x25 FFP illuminated MSR, the extensive weight of the scope won't match the intended purpose of the rifle. As field rifles, having the ability to range targets and determine/resolve unknown distance nearly instantaneously can aid when deciding if shots on game are inside or outside of my self imposed 300 yard max. While it is possible to use a 300 yard zero and let the cartridges ballistics sort it out. It's really not as precise as a properly matched rifle & scope combo. JMHO.

Top Bottom