• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Faint consideration for switchback 22 but it looks too futuristic for even RoboCop
    If it's the quietest can ever made, maybe I could get past the appeal. Just looks out of place on a firearm.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Faint consideration for switchback 22 but it looks too futuristic for even RoboCop
    If it's the quietest can ever made, maybe I could get past the appeal. Just looks out of place on a firearm.
    Is that the convertible one? Short or long?? Somebody on here has a Sparrow, supposed to be good. I think a 22 can would get the most usage. I wonder if they would work on 22 mag??
    Seems like you would have to shoot less than 1200 fps to really get the most out of it. I don't know that much about them.

Last edited:

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Silencerco Sparrow. It's a really good suppressor. I use it on 22lr , 17 HMR and a 17WMR. Yes it will work on a 22 mag. Any rimfire round.
    Works much better with subsonic rounds. Quieter than my air rifle.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a sparrow2 ss, it's nice. FRP is a little loud. Dead air mask is a quieter can.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I have a sparrow2 ss, it's nice. FRP is a little loud. Dead air mask is a quieter can.

The design of the oculus says first round pop is eliminated.

Subs are mucho quiet but I have ump-teen rounds of supers.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Those are supposed to be the top 2. My friend says your ear probably won't tell a difference between the 2. I know the Rugged can be both short or long. Besides that, the only factors are weight, costs, and looks. Maybe warranty...

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Warranty and cost are very similar. I've listed to some video which may be worthless overall but one will crack to my ear and one will have a deep tone but both anute the sound the same to a decibel meter. How your ear perceives the noise.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the switchback, when I was in the market I first considered the dead air mask but when I got serious there weren’t any masks available anywhere. Yes the switchback is modern looking but that’s on purpose cause it can be reconfigured many ways so the flats enable you to put the provided wrenches in place to loosen and tighten. I will be keeping it in the rifle optimum configuration cause I have another can for my handguns.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I have the switchback, when I was in the market I first considered the dead air mask but when I got serious there weren’t any masks available anywhere. Yes the switchback is modern looking but that’s on purpose cause it can be reconfigured many ways so the flats enable you to put the provided wrenches in place to loosen and tighten. I will be keeping it in the rifle optimum configuration cause I have another can for my handguns.
    Would you have chosen the mask over the switchback if it was in stock?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When I was buying, the oculus didn't exist, and the mask was out of stock. I got the sparrow ss for $250 so I couldn't complain, but of the 3 I would pick the Mask.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have the dead air mask and I love it! Easy to take apart and clean. No first round pop!

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Every 1000 rounds roughly they need to be disassembled and cleaned. Lot's of carbon and lead buildup.

I don't know much truth to this but some of these cans are rated for 5.7fn. A friend said you can clean the can by running some supersonic 5.7 through it and it will blow the carbon and lead out.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't know much truth to this but some of these cans are rated for 5.7fn. A friend said you can clean the can by running some supersonic 5.7 through it and it will blow the carbon and lead out.
    I take mine apart and let it soak in the "Dip" solution! You cannot shoot them clean, they must be cleaned! The rounds must be subsonic 1100 fps or slower. I use CCI standard velocity which is rated at 1070 fps with no problems. Any questions, call the silencer shop in TX. They are great people and will answer any questions for you. That is where I bought mine. silencershop.com

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It may burn off some carbon, but it's not going to do much for the lead. It is caked on almost as if you dripped molten lead inside the can.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    This article almost has me sold on the rugged, but there is a lot of praise for the mask as well.
    Speaking of the rugged here and not that I need this feature, but shows it's construction, it's belt fed rated!
    "Another impressive feature of the Oculus is its slotted baffles, which help create a seal to prevent lead from seizing the suppressor’s tube up. Rugged’s baffle design makes for no first round pop in its full configuration, and allows for ease of disassembly and reassembly."

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This article almost has me sold on the rugged, but there is a lot of praise for the mask as well.
    Speaking of the rugged here and not that I need this feature, but shows it's construction, it's belt fed rated!
    "Another impressive feature of the Oculus is its slotted baffles, which help create a seal to prevent lead from seizing the suppressor’s tube up. Rugged’s baffle design makes for no first round pop in its full configuration, and allows for ease of disassembly and reassembly."
    The Mask is full auto rated. It also has 9 slotted baffles which helps in the cleaning. Check it out on youtube!

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The cans you're looking at are similar enough that without handling, shooting, and cleaning each yourself there's no "right" answer. They're both solid options. Until you shoot thousands of rounds there's not enough real world difference between them to matter. Everyone has their favorite but in the big scheme both options will do the job.

Top Bottom