• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RayRay

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just watched this movie, "Danger Close" about a battle in Vietnam between Australians and New Zealand against VC. I have not seen many movies or literature about other countries in the Vietnam conflict, which I found interesting. I thought it was pretty good movie. it's available on Amazon prime if anyone is interested. let me know what you think.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At a few times in my tours in different parts of SE Asia I worked with both the Aussies and the Kiwi's. Also Brits and South Korean (ROK) troops. (Panthers) At one point I was involved in "BRIGHT LIGHT" with some ROK's. Tough as nails and took everything "personally". They loved their M1 Carbines. Several carried M2's.
    The war in SE Asis was a NATO type war so there were many countries involved. Some countries sent only 50 or so men and/or women. Most of those countries were not involved in combat operations. --- SAWMAN

RayRay

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have read the ROK soldiers had in a sense a take no prisoner mentality. not sure if it's true or not.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I heard horror stories about the stuff they did. I was told that Americans always stayed behind wire or heavily guarded. The ROKs would just sleep and camp in the open, the VC knew better than to screw with them. I also heard they cut an ear off a VC when they killed one, the guy with the most ears was the badass. This could all be BS but I heard it on numerous occasions.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it’s mostly true, the storyline gets better over time, but there’s a lot of truth to it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I heard horror stories about the stuff they did. I was told that Americans always stayed behind wire or heavily guarded. The ROKs would just sleep and camp in the open, the VC knew better than to screw with them. I also heard they cut an ear off a VC when they killed one, the guy with the most ears was the badass. This could all be BS but I heard it on numerous occasions.
    The natives never mess with the crazy guy

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just watched this movie, "Danger Close" about a battle in Vietnam between Australians and New Zealand against VC. I have not seen many movies or literature about other countries in the Vietnam conflict, which I found interesting. I thought it was pretty good movie. it's available on Amazon prime if anyone is interested. let me know what you think.
    I've had that saved in my Prime Video to watch later for awhile, now I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I recently watched The Man Left Behind on Amazon Prime. The Colonel in the documentary worked with the Montagnards, and they seem to be some tough mofos.

RayRay

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had that saved in my Prime Video to watch later for awhile, now I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I recently watched The Man Left Behind on Amazon Prime. The Colonel in the documentary worked with the Montagnards, and they seem to be some tough mofos.
    ill check that one out. thanks for the recommendation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it’s mostly true, the storyline gets better over time, but there’s a lot of truth to it.
    I was in korea karate school during the late 60's one of the students had recently returned from Vietnam and just shook his head and indicated that the korean tiger troops over there did some very bloody things. The owner of the school was korean also a former south Korean soldier was always bragging those ROK troops.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I found the ROK troops had ZERO sense of humor. Could follow orders or a much better way to put it . . the "game plan". They were constantly in competition with each other and obviously felt that they had nothing to prove to anyone else. They ate,slept,and stayed together if only for a smoke brake.
    The seniority among themselves was strictly enforced. HONORED would probably be a better description. They were fiercely loyal to their creedo. They did not talk about their training or past expierances in combat. Some had wives and children I heard from another source, but were all but forgotten due to the task at hand.
    They came and went from our areas at a moments notice but If their boss agreed that they would help with a project a week from now,they would be there.
    They worked in groups of 4-7 men. Rairly would you see 10 together. They were not physical with each other. No hand shakeing,back slapping,or hugging. They would rairly even help each outher into a helo.
    They had the patience of a vulture looking down on a wounded animal,waiting for it to die. They followed few rules and would change tactics frequently. A prisoner DID NOT want to be turned over to the ROK's for a "chat". Prisoners seemed to disappear in their custody. They would just give you that big toothy smile and say "go,go,go" until you stopped asking questions. But they most always had some good intel.
    I saw them with M1 carbines,some with M2's. M3 greese guns,and some of them older Carl Gustov type sub guns IIRC. Never seen them with a sniper type weapon. They would carry no food but tons of ammo and explosives. Some would have several hundred rds of carbine ammo. All would be loaded out almost to their own body weight.
    Always wondered what ever happened to them after the war. During a couple of my trips to Korea in the early 80's I tried to find some info on them but none "available" even thru the military liason. --- SAWMAN

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I watched "Danger Close" last night, it's an Aussie film and I thought it was really well made. It included some interesting weaponry like the Owen Submachine Gun and some NVA troops carried Sturmgewehr 44 rifles. Based on a true story and definitely worth a watch IMO.

Top Bottom