• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redse7en

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a CZ70. It is a traditional double action semi-auto pistol (first round double action, subsequent rounds single action). With an empty gun, I can rack the slide to the rear, setting the hammer in its single action position. If I ride the slide forward into battery the hammer will remain set in its single action position and I can pull the trigger and the hammer will fall. If I rack the slide and release it to go into battery under its own power, the hammer follows as the slide slams to a stop in battery. With the gun loaded and shooting the first round in double action, the round fires and the gun cycles firing the second round as the hammer follows the slide. It will then produce a stoppage with a failure to eject. I feel as though I may have a runaway gun if it could cycle the entire mag without the failure to eject. What I do know about guns leads me to believe there is something going on between the sear and the hammer. Can anyone confirm or deny my assumption?

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sounds like a problem with the sear, does it have a firing pin block? If so I would think that would stop it from becoming a run away gun. That said I’m no cz expert. Have you tried on any of the numerous cz forums? I’m sure they would have more answers.

redse7en

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So it does have a firing pin lock which is disengaged by the sear when the trigger is pulled/held to the rear. That second shot may occur simply because of the time it takes me to release the trigger, engaging the firing pin lock. So instead of a runaway gun, I may have a fully automatic pistol. I have not tested that theory, really because i don't like shooting the pistol in its current state. I have tried posting the same thing on CZ forums without a single response, so thank you for yours!

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So it does have a firing pin lock which is disengaged by the sear when the trigger is pulled/held to the rear. That second shot may occur simply because of the time it takes me to release the trigger, engaging the firing pin lock. So instead of a runaway gun, I may have a fully automatic pistol. I have not tested that theory, really because i don't like shooting the pistol in its current state. I have tried posting the same thing on CZ forums without a single response, so thank you for yours!
    I have nothing to do today I’ll see if I can help ya research it. I’m also a gunsmith so if ya wanna drop it off I would gladly look over it for you. If so shoot me a PM

redse7en

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up taking it apart to inspect the suspect parts. I also noticed that the decocker was releasing the hammer prematurely so I was going to drill down on the hammer. I found that the ledge on the back of the hammer that engages with the sear was barely a ledge anymore. It was rounded off pretty dramatically. As well the corresponding ledge on the sear was also showing a slight deformity. I ordered both parts with a good amount of confidence that I am on target with the diagnosis. I appreciate your offer though and wouldn't mind coming by your shop sometime.

Top Bottom