• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Was looking at a 5.7 pistol, figured as I have no 5.7 ammo I'd better check first. Cheapest I see is $1 a shot. Don't think I'll be jumping into a new caliber. I'll just stick to the 22 mag.

kendive

Master
    Yea I never bought on to the 5.7 craze... Just another gimmick.

With two PMR30's and an CMR 30. The only Keltec stuff I like and a butt load of .22 mag you can't go wrong.

Now if they release the HK MP7 and some 4.6x30 to the public... I'm in :)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Yea I never bought on to the 5.7 craze... Just another gimmick.

With two PMR30's and an CMR 30. The only Keltec stuff I like and a butt load of .22 mag you can't go wrong.

Now if they release the HK MP7 and some 4.6x30 to the public... I'm in :)

Yep. I've got the pmr and cmr. Very nice. Bought a pile of 22mag 4k? So I'm good on that for a bit. Looking at the numbers the 22 mag is pretty close to the 5.7. Just no pointy bullet.

kendive

Master
    Yep. I've got the pmr and cmr. Very nice. Bought a pile of 22mag 4k? So I'm good on that for a bit. Looking at the numbers the 22 mag is pretty close to the 5.7. Just no pointy bullet.
    Oh I have pointy .22 Mag. They do make it.

I have a very large assortment of Hornady .22 Mag ammo 30gr 45gr.... Good Stuff. I would load up when I saw the stuff for 10 to 12 a box. 5k at a time. Those days are over. :(

kendive

Master
    I also had an Second Chance Level II Vest I did some testing on up at my range. It would stop .45 and 9mm no problem. The .22 Mag V-Max would go right though it. This was done about 10 feet away. Vest laying on the shooting berm.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    If ya think about it tho. It's high. But it's a box of 50 defense quality rounds. People pay that much for a box of 20 of defense quality 9mm. Well not exactly the same but u get the idea. So it's high now yes. What is needed is a cheaper plinker priced option. American eagle is cheapest now. Bit it can be alot cheaper. As it stands now fiochi makes it all here. Not sure about the Speer gold dot and who makes that. So with the all the new 57 owners hopefully more makers make some and lower the prices. But yeah after turning my ruger 57 into a MP-57 I love mine. A buddy from the forum here came over and shot it also and is now about to build himself one also. Imo it's a great truck/but out gun so long as ya had time to collect ammo.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    If ya think about it tho. It's high. But it's a box of 50 defense quality rounds. People pay that much for a box of 20 of defense quality 9mm. Well not exactly the same but u get the idea. So it's high now yes. What is needed is a cheaper plinker priced option. American eagle is cheapest now. Bit it can be alot cheaper. As it stands now fiochi makes it all here. Not sure about the Speer gold dot and who makes that. So with the all the new 57 owners hopefully more makers make some and lower the prices. But yeah after turning my ruger 57 into a MP-57 I love mine. A buddy from the forum here came over and shot it also and is now about to build himself one also. Imo it's a great truck/but out gun so long as ya had time to collect ammo.

When ya run out it becomes a club...

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I had a 5.7 that I gave to my dad a year ago or so before ammo got crazy. He liked shooting it but has not enjoyed the pricing of the ammo.

There are so many guns Id like to try, but variations of calibers prohibit me. I don't want anything outside of the calibers I already shoot. :)

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Running out and becoming a club applies to all guns tho lol. It's always a matter of being able to carry what ya need imo. And never having to rely on finding any in the wild. Which imo further supports choosing a 5.7. Simply cause I can carry roughly 3-4 times the ammo I could in 9mm. And much more than a 556. And it brings the reliability of centerfire to the table vs other 22 calibers. Many more reasons why I like it. But They're selling alot now that people are realizing the benefits of 57. I predict every maker will soon sell a model. Then hopefully yeah ammo makers will also. But I still carry my P365xl on my hip simply cause the 57 models now are full-size guns. And if I'm away from my car I will opt for 300 or 556 everytime. But the MP-57 I feel like I can drive and shoot at the same time with. Then pop out and unfold it if needed for better shots. The 27 grain is the stuff ya want tho if you're buying it online for high prices. The 40 grain is good but don't penetrate like the others can. Redbox 27 is best. But very expensive. The bluebox/non blue tip aluminum core 27 I'm told is the same just a little tamer loading. But I stocked up on about 1500 rounds or so. Actually found it easier than 9mm when the panic hit. All for around 40$ a box. Not too shabby

SAWMAN

Master
    IMO - -> the price of gun,the price of ammo,upgraded or extra parts,and support in general for the 5.7 and the PMR does not justify (for me) steppimg into the 5.7 game.
    I will gadly stick with my PMR. --- SAWMAN

DAS HUGH!

Master
    IMO - -> the price of gun,the price of ammo,upgraded or extra parts,and support in general for the 5.7 and the PMR does not justify (for me) steppimg into the 5.7 game.
    I nearly bought one a few times before I chose 5.7. They're neat pistols. There's There's guy on YouTube using cp33 and other guns like these in a new way called cheek shooting. Works great. Even works good for clearing rooms. I myself like to not have my face that close to the chamber tho unless it's seriously justified. Just in case of an out of battery etc. But he does well. I'd like to see a model made with safety in mind with added protection for a face that close. Be a great option for if and when braces are banned. Not sure if that model can be used that way or not tho I'd have to check. But other keltecs work good for it. The MP-57 I have does also. Kind of a neat little rabbithole to explore that you may like if you're a keltec fan that ya may wanna check out

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    If you like that pmr30, you'd love the CMR30. Accurate and mo' zip!

Raven

Master
    I nearly bought one a few times before I chose 5.7. They're neat pistols. There's There's guy on YouTube using cp33 and other guns like these in a new way called cheek shooting. Works great. Even works good for clearing rooms. I myself like to not have my face that close to the chamber tho unless it's seriously justified. Just in case of an out of battery etc. But he does well. I'd like to see a model made with safety in mind with added protection for a face that close. Be a great option for if and when braces are banned. Not sure if that model can be used that way or not tho I'd have to check. But other keltecs work good for it. The MP-57 I have does also. Kind of a neat little rabbithole to explore that you may like if you're a keltec fan that ya may wanna check out

Seems like it would not be that hard to fabricate a shell deflector for your pistol, to protect your face. Bolt it to a rail... maybe using an old cheap aluminum body weapon light for it's QD hardware, with some self tapping screws thru the sheet metal and into the aluminum battery compartment, and then bend the sheet metal up and over the slide. Then snip it to the shape you want and paint it. As far as the 5.7 caliber, it's just another 22 in my book. If I want penetration in a 22, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. I suspect FN spent all that R&D money inventing the ammo to work in their new fangled carbine, just to have it not be so widely accepted as they hoped, so FN needed a pistol in that caliber in order for the caliber to not be obsolete. Pistols are outselling rifles like 9 to 1, so it makes sense from a marketing standpoint. But a pistol, any pistol, just doesn't need the unique lubed cases and a straight walled case's ability to roll in a horizontal mag that the overpriced FN5.7 caliber has (the keltec pistol is the one exception). If you look at it as rifle ammo, it's actually fairly well priced at a $1 per. By comparison, the 350 Legend (with its straight walled cases and similar small cult following with shooters) is well over a $1 per, even at Walmart

Last edited:

Jason

Master
    When I had my 57's, a box of 50 was usually 20 bucks.....I've seen it as high as a bill but when I normally see it, its about 60

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Seems like it would not be that hard to fabricate a shell deflector for your pistol, to protect your face. Bolt it to a rail... maybe using an old cheap aluminum body weapon light for it's QD hardware, with some self tapping screws thru the sheet metal and into the aluminum battery compartment, and then bend the sheet metal up and over the slide. Then snip it to the shape you want and paint it. As far as the 5.7 caliber, it's just another 22 in my book. If I want penetration in a 22, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. I suspect FN spent all that R&D money inventing the ammo to work in their new fangled carbine, just to have it not be so widely accepted as they hoped, so FN needed a pistol in that caliber in order for the caliber to not be obsolete. Pistols are outselling rifles like 9 to 1, so it makes sense from a marketing standpoint. But a pistol, any pistol, just doesn't need the unique lubed cases and a straight walled case's ability to roll in a horizontal mag that the overpriced FN5.7 caliber has (the keltec pistol is the one exception). If you look at it as rifle ammo, it's actually fairly well priced at a $1 per. By comparison, the 350 Legend (with its straight walled cases and similar small cult following with shooters) is well over a $1 per, even at Walmart
    How else would you get the penetration/power without bottlenecking the 22 round? And as far as why the round was made I've always heard it was cause they asked for a round capable of defeating Russian body armor. So they came up with that. Then the gun. I'm no expert tho. But after NATO didn't pick it up it kinda stagnated for whatever reasons. As far as penetration even with the watered down civvie loads they make here.. go watch 22 plinkster sling some thru some 2 inch bulletproof glass. It's on YouTube. But yeah the rounds used to be... and still can be again real cheap. Just need more to make them. Gotta go to work but yeah takes all day to explain the pros n cons lol

ratio411

Expert
    Was looking at a 5.7 pistol, figured as I have no 5.7 ammo I'd better check first. Cheapest I see is $1 a shot. Don't think I'll be jumping into a new caliber. I'll just stick to the 22 mag.
    I just bought a PS90, and boy are they charging through the nose for ammo, when you can find it. The problem is that even in the best of times there are very few brands that make it. So now supply and demand are turned on their heads. There is hardly any available, and when you find it the price is outrageous.

I’m not going to say I got lucky, but I kinda did. I found a small dealer that had an old promo item still on their shelf. It was a box of factory ammo with a factory 50 round mag for $89. They had 4 left, and I bought them all. Now I see just a box of 50 rounds without the mag for $89 at some places.

Attachments

• 454A18CC-3DAC-4F05-8014-3AF53C8C3328.jpeg
      454A18CC-3DAC-4F05-8014-3AF53C8C3328.jpeg
      2.4 MB · Views: 71

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Type of Bullet makes all the difference. Not so much the caliber. Good point too is the 22 mag rds are loaded for RIFLES not pistols, I wish he would have tried the CMR30 as he did shoot the ps90.

Latest posts

Top Bottom