• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Card shark go to bass pro shoot a couple of crossbows. Then make a logical decision about price. Hi dollar crossbows work but cheaper brands save money. Don't get more than require

I didn't realize that Bass Pro let's you try out their crossbows. If I can try out a few at different price points, I think it will go a long way in me figuring out if it's worth it.

CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Excalibur matrix 380 and I am sold on the re-curve's... I broke a cable in NW Kansas on a standard compound crossbow and couldn't hunt. I drove to Nebraska next day to buy cables & have shop restring old bow & bought the 380 and extra string's also... now i can change string on my own anytime and have had no troubles... deadly accurate to about 100 yards & super simple... they've gotten more streamlined & Excaliber now has a 2 shot version... you can spend as much as you want on crossbows but will only get so much return on your investment... good luck....

Thanks for your input. I was also weighing the recurve vs compound decision.

I was leaning towards the compound because of the lower draw weights (for the fps) and the compactness (since I will mostly be hunting out of smaller blinds).

I'm fairly strong for a smaller guy but I don't know what a "260lb draw weight" actually feels like.
    I think if I can try a couple crossbows as dewayne suggested, I think it would help me a lot.

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I was leaning towards the compound because of the lower draw weights (for the fps) and the compactness (since I will mostly be hunting out of smaller blinds).

I'm fairly strong for a smaller guy but I don't know what a "260lb draw weight" actually feels like.
    I think if I can try a couple crossbows as dewayne suggested, I think it would help me a lot.
    its not a problem on the draw, they also have a mechanical draw aide..... another nice feature is the de-cocking without having to discharge the bow... your welcome to have a few shots with mine... I'll be dusting it off in the next few days/week anyway... they also have a micro series now but i've killed several deer with mine from a ground blind... good luck with whatever you decide....

dewayne

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I didn't realize that Bass Pro let's you try out their crossbows. If I can try out a few at different price points, I think it will go a long way in me figuring out if it's worth it.
    Also remember at the speeds of crossbows its going to need a very good target if its to last . If you buy one message me I have a new blob target that I am willing to sell but its very heavy and can stand up being left outside.

Dave308

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been happy with my Ten Point Titan M1. I have had it for two years and problem free. If I were to get a back up crossbow it would be an Excalibur 340 mag.
    When purchased my Ten Point two of the arrows were cracked. I called them and they shipped me a brand new upgraded set of arrows. I haven’t had any other issues.

CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    its not a problem on the draw, they also have a mechanical draw aide..... another nice feature is the de-cocking without having to discharge the bow... your welcome to have a few shots with mine... I'll be dusting it off in the next few days/week anyway... they also have a micro series now but i've killed several deer with mine from a ground blind... good luck with whatever you decide....

That would be great, thanks for the offer. If I don't find something I like after trying a few out at Bass Pro, I'll hit you up.

CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been happy with my Ten Point Titan M1. I have had it for two years and problem free. If I were to get a back up crossbow it would be an Excalibur 340 mag.
    When purchased my Ten Point two of the arrows were cracked. I called them and they shipped me a brand new upgraded set of arrows. I haven’t had any other issues.

Thanks for the recommendations.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At Bass Pro,Spanish Fort,they will advise,set it up,and allow you to shoot it on their indoor range.
    Super knowlegeable,friendly staff also.
    What ever happened with the "air bow" thing in Fla ?? ---- SAWMAN

billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ten Point Viper....your welcome!

archer-1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Ravin 26 is scary accurate at 100 yards.
    I was a little concerned about the sticker price but after a few days I understood why the box says “Welcome to your new rifle”

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Seen on the Outdoor Chnl several days ago - - -> a crossbow advertised at 18 inches wide and 440fps. Freakin" fast. ---- SAWMAN

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a Excalibur matrix 380 and I am sold on the re-curve's... I broke a cable in NW Kansas on a standard compound crossbow and couldn't hunt. I drove to Nebraska next day to buy cables & have shop restring old bow & bought the 380 and extra string's also... now i can change string on my own anytime and have had no troubles... deadly accurate to about 100 yards & super simple... they've gotten more streamlined & Excaliber now has a 2 shot version... you can spend as much as you want on crossbows but will only get so much return on your investment... good luck....

I'd like to echo no woryz here and say that most important thing is to be able to work on your own bow, no matter which one it is. Being held hostage by someone in a 'foreign' place is not fun. That said, I own a Raven 20 and truly love it. I've killed good deer at 60+ yards with no trouble. I also have the Sig Sauer BDX scope and rangefinder on mine (as well as my 7mmWSM) and it really takes any guess work out of the mix. Being able to change your own strings and cable is a must. Bet a press and learn how to use it.

CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd like to echo no woryz here and say that most important thing is to be able to work on your own bow, no matter which one it is. Being held hostage by someone in a 'foreign' place is not fun. That said, I own a Raven 20 and truly love it. I've killed good deer at 60+ yards with no trouble. I also have the Sig Sauer BDX scope and rangefinder on mine (as well as my 7mmWSM) and it really takes any guess work out of the mix. Being able to change your own strings and cable is a must. Bet a press and learn how to use it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so that shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom