• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to buy my first crossbow and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I'll mostly be hunting out of box blinds for deer, hog, etc.

I don't really have a fixed budget, I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck.
    I know in most things, there are price points where if you pay a bit more, you're getting a lot for the money and then you reach a certain dollar level where it's diminishing returns.

Trying to find where that sweet spot is and any specific brands/models and places to buy you guys can recommend.

CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also wondering if it's worth it to buy some of these "packages".
    Seems like you're getting a lot for the extra money when I price items individually but hard for me to judge without experience if the items that come in these packages are crappy quality that I'll end up having to replace anyway.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have an older model Excalibur Crossbow that shoots very very well.

At 30 yds. it will put a bolt in the same hole...over.....and...over.....and.....over!!!!

Dewayne white

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes it will do anything needed. It looks like my hero 380. Got a 425 also,but prefer fit and feel of the 380. For the money can't go wrong

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The "Ravin" brand is one of the most accurate and ultra compact, with a free floated bolt. But it's also one of the most expensive. And I'm a little biased. New for 2021 is the Ravin electric cocking system

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-014841_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210913-014841_Chrome.jpg
      280.8 KB · Views: 72
    • Screenshot_20210913-014859_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210913-014859_Chrome.jpg
      270.1 KB · Views: 80
    Last edited:

CardShark

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "Ravin" brand is one of the most accurate and ultra compact, with a free floated bolt. But it's also one of the most expensive. And I'm a little biased. New for 2021 is the Ravin electric cocking system
    Yeah, I saw some of the Ravin crossbows as I was looking around, definitely pricey. Which one do you have?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yeah, I saw some of the Ravin crossbows as I was looking around, definitely pricey. Which one do you have?
    I sold my crossbow like 25 years ago. What I want is the new electric Ravin model. I'm not getting any younger, and RA sucks. Something else to consider is that there is a crossbow that is an upper receiver for any milspec AR15 lower. I forget the name, but it makes sense. Especially if going to be bringing along a rifle anyways. It was like $2,000

dewayne

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Card shark go to bass pro shoot a couple of crossbows. Then make a logical decision about price. Hi dollar crossbows work but cheaper brands save money. Don't get more than require

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a Excalibur matrix 380 and I am sold on the re-curve's... I broke a cable in NW Kansas on a standard compound crossbow and couldn't hunt. I drove to Nebraska next day to buy cables & have shop restring old bow & bought the 380 and extra string's also... now i can change string on my own anytime and have had no troubles... deadly accurate to about 100 yards & super simple... they've gotten more streamlined & Excaliber now has a 2 shot version... you can spend as much as you want on crossbows but will only get so much return on your investment... good luck....

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have a Excalibur matrix 380 and I am sold on the re-curve's... I broke a cable in NW Kansas on a standard compound crossbow and couldn't hunt. I drove to Nebraska next day to buy cables & have shop restring old bow & bought the 380 and extra string's also... now i can change string on my own anytime and have had no troubles... deadly accurate to about 100 yards & super simple... they've gotten more streamlined & Excaliber now has a 2 shot version... you can spend as much as you want on crossbows but will only get so much return on your investment... good luck....

Yep, for sure. Recurve bows have been around for thousands of years longer than compound bows and crossbows. And longbows hundreds of years. English longbows can pierce iron plate armor at 100 yards. There's something to be said about that.
    Let us all know when you master the atlatl spear throwing thing. No strings attached with that one, lmao, pun intended. All joking aside, recurve bows and longbows are just as awesome as compound bows and crossbows, and the atlatl is super old school and deadly accurate once mastered. If the long bows and recurve bows were the 357 Magnum equivalent of the ancient world, the atlatl was the way older 45-70 equivalent giant 3 ton moose killing spear thrower of the ancient world. And it doesn't use strings at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-150700_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210915-150700_Chrome.jpg
      220.2 KB · Views: 71
    Last edited:

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yep, for sure. Recurve bows have been around for thousands of years longer than compound bows and crossbows. And longbows hundreds of years. English longbows can pierce iron plate armor at 100 yards. There's something to be said about that.
    Let us all know when you master the atlatl spear throwing thing. No strings attached with that one, lmao, pun intended. All joking aside, recurve bows and longbows are just as awesome as compound bows and crossbows, and the atlatl is super old school and deadly accurate once mastered. If the long bows and recurve bows were the 357 Magnum equivalent of the ancient world, the atlatl was the way older 45-70 equivalent giant 3 ton moose killing spear thrower of the ancient world. And it doesn't use strings at all.
    dang brother, your everywhere on this one...lol, i not sure if i should "like", "dislike" or say "puff,puff,pass" on this post...haha... short story long is yes, recurve crossbows are better than compound in the big picture although that's not exactly what you're saying but hey, its my experience owning top shelf of both....

Top Bottom