• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratio411

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Which round would you want, to reach out with some authority using a bolt action rifle, 22” to 24” barrel? Which one will do the most damage at distance?

Or does 30-06 eclipse both? Probably a dumb question…

I am wanting to set up a nice, inexpensive bolt action rig that can really reach out. Not interested in adding a new or exotic caliber, so .303, .50 BMG etc are out of the question.

Thank you!
    Dave

ratio411

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I assume you are referring to the 6.5CM.
    I didn’t realize there was more than one.

Yes, commercial ammo. I don’t see ever needing a shot beyond 600 yards.That’s pretty dang far for my purposes.

It sounds like the CM is slightly more accurate? How about power? At that kind of a distance if they are close in accuracy, which will hit harder?

ratio411

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    And talk to me like I’m 5, because I am a complete novice on this subject.

ratio411

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Either of the .30s will hit harder - but what exactly are you looking to do?
    I do a little hunting. Primarily hog, which I have a semi-auto 308 already set up. I just want to be able to reach out reliably when I decide to diversify. And I need a reliable bolt action to compliment my Arsenal if SHTF.

My hog murder machine:

Attachments

• 139BFFA9-910C-4141-A048-26F87D95E07C.jpeg
      139BFFA9-910C-4141-A048-26F87D95E07C.jpeg
      69.9 KB · Views: 81

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I didn’t realize there was more than one.

Yes, commercial ammo. I don’t see ever needing a shot beyond 600 yards.That’s pretty dang far for my purposes.

It sounds like the CM is slightly more accurate? How about power? At that kind of a distance if they are close in accuracy, which will hit harder?

both are about equal in terminal ballistics at around 600 yd. lets say 1000yd, the 6.5CM will hit harder. Accuracy wise, really up to your barrel and ammo. Never heard of poor accuracy from both. If you are torn between the two and are shooting within 600, consider supply issues. .308 might have an edge with its mil ammo. M118LR is no slouch.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am wanting to set up a nice, inexpensive bolt action rig that can really reach out.
    You should clarify your statement by defining "inexpensive" or state the maximum amount you are willing to spend for a rifle and scope.**
    after you do that, sit back and wait for for a lot of members here to live vicariously through your bank account making suggestions on what you need.
    Also, tell what you are wanting to kill at out to 600 yds, as size does matter.
    Also, in your criteria of SHTF, you should be considering a rifle with a DBM detachable box magazine like your " Hog Machine"
    ** Scopes, for out to 600 yds, a unsuitable scope will will cost you about 40% of your total budget.
    any questions feel free to PM me.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've got a 6.5CM bergara in a magpul chasis. Gun and stock or with glass and rings ready to shoot. It may not be your "inexpensive" but it'll be cheaper than you can find a similar setup for.

diesel2256

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6.5CM is a badass round, but not nearly as popular as 308. Recently saw a budget AR10 with a stainless barrel shooting sub MOA groups with Wolf steel ammo. For SHTF and lets say sub 600 yard ranges, just stick with the 308. Other bonus is you already have another weapon in 308, stock piling one caliber vs a few is definitely a bonus.

ratio411

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am wanting to set up a nice, inexpensive bolt action rig that can really reach out.
    You should clarify your statement by defining "inexpensive" or state the maximum amount you are willing to spend for a rifle and scope.**
    after you do that, sit back and wait for for a lot of members here to live vicariously through your bank account making suggestions on what you need.
    Also, tell what you are wanting to kill at out to 600 yds, as size does matter.
    Also, in your criteria of SHTF, you should be considering a rifle with a DBM detachable box magazine like your " Hog Machine"
    ** Scopes, for out to 600 yds, a unsuitable scope will will cost you about 40% of your total budget.
    any questions feel free to PM me.
    I am most comfortable in the $500-$1000 range where rifles are concerned. I like wood stocks, and for this rifle a threaded barrel would be preferable. I should be able to mount a bipod. The detachable magazine would be a plus.

I have never spent more than $200 for a scope. I realize they go way beyond that. If I was to spend a great deal on a scope, I would just splurge on a thermal scope.

It sounds to me like I should just stick with .308. I was considering the CM, but it would mean adding a caliber. I have plenty of .308 on hand.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look at Savage and Howa .308's. Wood stock might be a little more difficult these days but a Boyd's aftermarket is an option. You could double your normal budget on glass and still be under 1k. Then look for a single stage reloading set up and you'll enter a whole new world of enjoyment.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which round would you want, to reach out with some authority using a bolt action rifle, 22” to 24” barrel? Which one will do the most damage at distance?

Or does 30-06 eclipse both? Probably a dumb question…

I am wanting to set up a nice, inexpensive bolt action rig that can really reach out. Not interested in adding a new or exotic caliber, so .303, .50 BMG etc are out of the question.

Thank you!
    Dave
    Just how far do you intend to reach out?
    Just how much authority is needed?

At 300 yards the 30-06 propels a higher projectile weight per caliber at higher speed than either the .308 Win or the 6.5 Creedmoor, thus producing greater Kinetic Energy and penetration. But penetration on a sub 400 lb Hog isn't the same as penetration required on 2000 lbs of Grizzly Bear! Inexpensive and Extended Long Range are terms that don't go together in a sentence. Could you please clarify?

Are you able to keep multiple rounds within 8 inches at 600 yards? Not can the rifle, most will with the proper round, are you able to outshoot the rifle/cartridge combo if it can't perform due to budget restraints?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crux of the Biscuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So now we come to aspect of Game Harvesting at 600 yards.
    Lets start with your cold bore zero since the first shot is far more important than a 3 or 5 round group, since you are never going to get enough time to fire 3 rounds at your 600 yard target without it moving.

So worst case, toss rounds 1 & 2 out and center your group on rounds 3,4,& 5. About 1MOA. Yet it's 2 inches High and 1 inch left of your actual cold bore shot. Multiply that by 6 and that's how far you have missed your target with both rounds that you managed to get off. This is just Hypothetical. But what is cold/clean bore zero at 600 yards and how many times have you been able to repeat it. (only one round, you should be able to put that single round into the same hole ad nauseam, tightest group ever) If you can consistently drop your cold clean bore first round on target any of the rifle cartridge combos that can deliver 1000 foot pounds of kinetic energy at 600 yards in temperatures you hunt at should deliver one shot KILLS. If this isn't making any sense, testify when you have your first 600 Harvest and I'll stand down.

PS: none of the above are able to deliver 1000 ft lbs of kinetic energy at 300 yards on the Ice Pack.

Attachments

• mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 65
    Last edited:

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Might want to think about a range finder. Out around 600 you are talking 6-8 feet of drop depending what cartridge/gun combo you choose. You are going to need an accurate range reading to get the dope right. Reading the wind starts to get important too. Either round is capable, but not easy 1st shot humane kill... definitely need to be on top of you game

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's time to put the red nose on this. 600 yards is a good distance to test your skills on paper. Prior to even attempting a 600 yard shot on four legged game animals you should be able to perform the shot on paper at the 600 yard line 10 out of 10 at least 10 times consecutively. To accomplish such a deed on paper 100 out of 100 times is a prerequisite to attempting it one time on live game. Until you can perform the deed 100 times in a row without failure, taking a rifle afield for game hunting at 600 yards is a mute point. JMO, YMMV.
    I've taken game from Elephant to Chipmunk and always inside of 300 yards. To attempt a shot on something other than a paper target, (perhaps those game animals that can use projectile weapons aside) at a distance of 600 Yards only displays how poor your stalking skills are? The amount of critters that can do you harm at 600 or even 300 yards is singular. So when you harvest a game animal at over 300 yards, don't expect a BZ from me! I'll probably comment on your lack of stalking skills that required you to take such a shot in the first place. JMHO.

Top Bottom