• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Outside of guns I know we all have different interests and hobbies.
    I've always admired Corvettes and finally getting to a place where I feel comfortable owning one. I like sport cars in general but the C5 Z06 has always been held as my "affordable dream car" right or wrong. Anyone else in here have experience with these? Or similar. Maybe things to look for and stay away from?
    I looked at a '97 yesterday that was in rough shape but cheap, dragged my feet and missed out. Probably for the best. Thanks for the insight

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've got a C7, best overall corvette to me... too much power for front engine config but just have to drive it accordingly.... you may have seen it at PF back when we drove to work, think Daniel in MS has a blue c5 he drives sometimes...I'm on the fence about c8 still.... novel but doesn't feel like a corvette anymore... If I buy another it will be a c2 not a c8... Pick the style that speaks to you and go with it... you wont be disappointed...

If my garage looked like this then my automotive need would be fully met..... with a hunting truck too of course.....

93984826.jpg

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    JW-I have a 2000 C5 (not a Z6). They are great cars. The engine and tranny are bulletproof. Mine gets 30 MPG cruising down the interstate at 80 MPH. It will do 170 (trust me). It looks good and plenty parts are still available with some Corvette specialty places. Now the downside-every model Corvette ever built has some flaws, anybody that tells you any different is a lying ass and their nickname is doodoo. The C5 is one of the best of the bunch. I can't speak for the new models, haven't driven one or know anybody that has one. I didn't get really interested in them because I looked at one and it was $85000.00. 'nuff said there. The C5's problems are all documented and well known as there are forums (like our beloved gun forum) that has more info than you'd probably ever need to know. You can go through a set of tires (expensive) in a hurry if you drive like a maniac. drive like sane people and they will hold up as long as on any other car. The a/c's are problematic. Mine has quit blowing cold as we speak. I put a new compressor on 2 years ago with a new condenser so it's probably just a hose. Ain't hot enough to worry about it now. The temp control is a PITA. It has that stupid I am cold and I'm hot control where you can set the temps different on each side of the car. It works on relays (4 of them) mounted in the dash which has to be removed to replace all of them but 1. You're free to ask me how I know. The headlights give problems occasionally although it's usually a motor which is neither expensive nor hard to replace. The interior is the biggest flaw. The seats are cheap leather as are all the plastic parts, but it's all available if you need it. Mine has around 185000 miles on it and will still go between oil changes (about every 10000 miles) without adding much if any oil to it. The Corvette is subject to "wet butt". This when the rear axle seal starts to leak and you have to change them out I had to replace the rear wheel bearings recently so I fixed them. It's not a bad leak it just spots the rear of the car up. keep it clean and you won't notice it. I doubt if you just drove it around town it would leak at all. My use is mainly highway. You can not carry it to a dealer for anything other than minor service, you will figure out quickly why rape carries such a long prison sentence. So, you must be able and willing to pull wrenches. I've had 4 Porsches (fantastic cars) and the Corvette is way cheaper and easier to maintain than any of them. Would I do it again, yep in a heartbeat. you're welcome to come and drive mine if you want.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Real men drive trucks.
    A good compromise would be the Dodge Ram TRX. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your in the same boat as me and too tall to enjoy a car like that.

Single cab truck, lowered, with a V8 and speed parts availability is where it’s at.
    Even if you are normal size a lot of the traditional sport cars are not comfortable to sit in. They feel like the cockpit of a WWI fighter plane.
    A car that can do 130 mph plus will never be used at full speed capacity by me and most other people on a public highway. I can see a burst of speed for passing. The main value of such vehicles is that they are usually set up for superior handling that could save your life.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a C7, best overall corvette to me... too much power for front engine config but just have to drive it accordingly.... you may have seen it at PF back when we drove to work, think Daniel in MS has a blue c5 he drives sometimes...I'm on the fence about c8 still.... novel but doesn't feel like a corvette anymore... If I buy another it will be a c2 not a c8... Pick the style that speaks to you and go with it... you wont be disappointed...

If my garage looked like this then my automotive need would be fully met..... with a hunting truck too of course.....

View attachment 109751

Who doesn't want a C2?

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your in the same boat as me and too tall to enjoy a car like that.

Single cab truck, lowered, with a V8 and speed parts availability is where it’s at.
    I have no idea how tall you 2 are but I'm 5-10 and have plenty room and I've seen folks larger than me get in and out of one. If it's what you want you'll make it work.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no idea how tall you 2 are but I'm 5-10 and have plenty room and I've seen folks larger than me get in and out of one. If it's what you want you'll make it work.
    Deadly threat is big guy lol.
    If more LEOs were larger people, there might be less reason for many to not be capable of physically dealing with an unarmed physical threat.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m 6’4” and 265#. JW is similarly sized. I drove a friend’s C5 or C6 about 10 years ago. It was doable but not at all comfortable.

Well, that changes the equation a good bit. I don't know of any sports car that you guys would be comfortable in. If you ain't comfy, don't spend the money! The pick up is beginning to make sense now.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would you believe I’m the runt in my family? My father is 6’8 and my younger brother is 6’10”
    It used to be departments wanted larger people and the old crown victoria was perfect for such people. Most had height requirements. Went out favor because it discriminated against most women and some minority males also could not meet height requirements.
    When I took a judo course, the instructor told us for a 10 kilogram difference in wt give the heavier person something a like 90% chance of winning a bout other things being equal.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah I'm not a petite man at all and the C5 is almost too small. The one I drove Saturday had a targa top and it was almost touching my head. Hence the hardtop of a Z06 is a bonus.
    Mauser- I may take you up on the test drive! Thanks for the info and another reason why I'm looking at the C5 is parts availability. I realize a truck would be more comfortable but driving that car is exactly why I've wanted one, you can feel the road and the car working.
    Sawman- I've always had and currently have 4x4 trucks. Of course mine is tuned and has a CAI.(It'll do 110 easy) or so I've heard ;)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do you have a chip in your truck ?? CAI - -??
    I have some quetions about them if anyone has any knowledge about them.
    Can/Will start another thread as to not derail if any interest. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom