• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SODAPOPMG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i want to know if anybody has done this i have a large qty of large pistol primers but not too many small
    i have 10mm brass with both and would like to convert them all to large pistol primers
    anybody done anything like this? and if you did how did you do it?

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes it can be done have did it. would not attempt to try and write that much to explain how to do it. There are some pros and cons to doing it and a lot of work. if you want you can call I will explain it the best I can . just my 5 cents jj 850-572=6611

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a video of converting about a .254 diameter berdan primer to a smaller boxer .210 large rifle primer. Probably will help not you, but it is an interesting video.

Likely easier to pay what ever exorbitant price is needed for small pistol primers than go to the trouble to enlarge the primer pockets. I am hoping with remington back in the game, that maybe in 6 months primers will be available via normal channels of commerce at reasonable pricing.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Midway actually had CCI Small Pistol Primers in stock for a short time this am... long enough for me to think long and hard. They had a limit of 1 and the price was $75 or either $79 I forgot.

They also had Remington 209 primers for a while near the same price and limit.

Bottom line... people should pass on these crazy prices... let supply and demand slowly catch up. Let thoase hoarders-flippers choke on their over priced supplies.

Buy as you need/consume, not hoard for the end times. The simple fact primers hit the website and stayed there a while is an indication people are becoming either maxed out or tired of the prices.

I might be wrong... but that's what it looks like to me.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Midway actually had CCI Small Pistol Primers in stock for a short time this am... long enough for me to think long and hard. They had a limit of 1 and the price was $75 or either $79 I forgot.

They also had Remington 209 primers for a while near the same price and limit.

Bottom line... people should pass on these crazy prices... let supply and demand slowly catch up. Let thoase hoarders-flippers choke on their over priced supplies.

Buy as you need/consume, not hoard for the end times. The simple fact primers hit the website and stayed there a while is an indication people are becoming either maxed out or tired of the prices.

I might be wrong... but that's what it looks like to me.
    If it was midwayusa, I missed it. But the fact they are getting something in, is encouraging.
    The time to hoard is when it is cheap and plentiful and not when they are on the market. I am hoping wolf in russia get back into the USA market primer sales. That will bring everybody else's primer pricing down to where it belongs.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    SPP's (CCI) are back in stock at Midway as I type this... $74.99 per 1K with a limit of one.

Apparently they are being careful not to oversell.

Powder Valley has Win 209's for $50.00 per 1K BUT you must buy something from the apparel category also. I'm under the understanding this is to combat some kind of auto purchasing tactic.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SPP's (CCI) are back in stock at Midway as I type this... $74.99 per 1K with a limit of one.

Apparently they are being careful not to oversell.

Powder Valley has Win 209's for $50.00 per 1K BUT you must buy something from the apparel category also. I'm under the understanding this is to combat some kind of auto purchasing tactic.
    LOL, I just looked and they seem to be gone already.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Here is a video of converting about a .254 diameter berdan primer to a smaller boxer .210 large rifle primer. Probably will help not you, but it is an interesting video.

Likely easier to pay what ever exorbitant price is needed for small pistol primers than go to the trouble to enlarge the primer pockets. I am hoping with remington back in the game, that maybe in 6 months primers will be available via normal channels of commerce at reasonable pricing.

Wow! I'm retired and I don't have the time to put into this type of reloading. Interesting that someone would take the time to do this though. I like FrommerStop suggestion that since Remington is back on line and being run by a company that knows how to make quality ammo and still make a profit without squeezing the market maybe we are witnessing the light at the end of the tunnel. Boy, talk about a run on sentence. Anyway, I'm guessing the ammo and component squeeze is near it's end.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow! I'm retired and I don't have the time to put into this type of reloading. Interesting that someone would take the time to do this though. I like FrommerStop suggestion that since Remington is back on line and being run by a company that knows how to make quality ammo and still make a profit without squeezing the market maybe we are witnessing the light at the end of the tunnel. Boy, talk about a run on sentence. Anyway, I'm guessing the ammo and component squeeze is near it's end.
    Lately what has been happening is that every time one of the antigun rectal apertures proposes another bill, the vendors and YouTube broadcast the end legality of some type of gun or armament and a new rush starts to buy something before it is all banned.
    The gun bills will not stop, but maybe people will stop going ballistic each time one is proposed.

Reactions: Ron

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i want to know if anybody has done this i have a large qty of large pistol primers but not too many small
    i have 10mm brass with both and would like to convert them all to large pistol primers
    anybody done anything like this? and if you did how did you do it?
    How many spp do you need?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There is an extremely good reason why some high pressure cartridges are designed to use small primers. CASE STRENGTH AT THE WEB.
    I would never even consider reaming out the hole to make it weaker.
    There are quite a few chamberings that are designed to use small primers. Reserch it,figure out why,then go from there. --- SAWMAN

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have did this a good bet for the 303 B. One thing he did not cover is why he was using, cast bullets. Did you see how big the flash hole was. You don't want to do high pressure loads, so you do low pressure loads .This also cheaper to shot when you get it done. You can take deer with the cast load also. Just my 5 cents jj

JDTomba

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I agree with the opinion the prices are WAY too high; I also have been hearing "pass on these high prices and let supply and demand catch up" for over a year now and prices have NOT gone down nor have supplies increased. I check every day for both small and large primers with usually 5 0r 6 distributors. When primers are available the prices are always ludacris. We have 4 LGS in my area and all have stopped carrying reloading supplies because they are just not available even to them.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    IMO, Sawman is right "CASE STRENGTH AT THE WEB" is critical for high pressure loads. If you're not going to shoot 10mm high pressure, shoot 40 S&W, it's cheaper. I'd use the LPP cases until SPP became available at the price you want to pay for them. Or pay the price you can get them for now. What is the cost of SPP relative to the value of the firearm (and your safety)? Do you want to take a chance on reamed out and weakened primer pockets?

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is an extremely good reason why some high pressure cartridges are designed to use small primers. CASE STRENGTH AT THE WEB.
    I would never even consider reaming out the hole to make it weaker.
    There are quite a few chamberings that are designed to use small primers. Reserch it,figure out why,then go from there. --- SAWMAN
    Yeah, I'm with SAW here; just what I was thinking. JMO, but if it were anything more than .002-.003" I wouldn't. Yeah, you could probably make it work, but you would forever have to load that brass light, and keep track of it so you didn't overload it. More hassle than fun, IMO.

Members online

Top Bottom