• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe the Remington Model 11, something similar.

Is it over hyped when compared to similar semi-auto shotguns?

Is it a durable shotgun, or is it really finnicky?

Is the "sweet sixteen" worth the hype over the 12 gauge?

Anything I should keep in mind when looking for one?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I inherited a Remington in 20 gauge from my Pop and it has never even hiccuped, not once. And the Remingtons are half the cost of a real Browning

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    John Browning allowed Remington to make the model 11( Also the model 24 which is the same thing as the little Browning take down automatic .22) which is the exact same thing as an A5 during the war.... They are extremely good guns, They will last forever. Recoil can be a little heavy if they're not kept clean and the rings in the right position. The forarm tends to crack if it's not kept tight. Take the Forarm off and make sure it has all the rings under it On the magazine Tube. These are not gas operated guns they are recoil operated.( The whole barrel moves Backwards in the receiver to reject the Empty shell.) The Japanese made A5 are just as good as the Belgium. Some of the early Belgium made A5s had stocks that were cured with salt so you have to watch out for rust under under the stock. * = Full **= Modified *** = Improved cylinder .I'm sure there's a lot more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Maybe the Remington Model 11, something similar.

Is it over hyped when compared to similar semi-auto shotguns?

Is it a durable shotgun, or is it really finnicky?

Is the "sweet sixteen" worth the hype over the 12 gauge?

Anything I should keep in mind when looking for one?

The Remington 11 is much heavier than the browning. Look for a Browning Light 12 or Light 20 or sweet 16.

I have several and they will last forever. I have a 16 gauge that is 100 years old (not a sweet 16) and I shot it a week ago.

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I had a 1905 year of production Remington Model 11 ( I believe it may have had a different name those first few years). It still shot like a dream almost 115 years later. Heavy as all get out but cycled very fast. Can't believe I traded it last year.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    To play the other side: if you genuinely just want a Browning A5, I will say get one. It is a great shotgun and works almost flawlessly if maintained as stated. That is why it had such a great following and almost anyone who could afford one back in the day had one.
    However, if you want a great shotgun that handles better, carries well and is just as flawless, there are better choices today. Personally, I would spend a few extra dollars and get a Benelli or the newer Ratays, a little less but good guns also.
    To me the Browning while a great shotgun, was just too heavy and didn't point as well as my Remington 1100's or Benelli's. As a matter of fact, the Benelli was so nice I sold all the others including 3 trap/skeet grade 1100's and a Belgium A5. JMHO YMMV

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    John Browning allowed Remington to make the model 11( Also the model 24 which is the same thing as the little Browning take down automatic .22) which is the exact same thing as an A5 during the war.... They are extremely good guns, They will last forever. Recoil can be a little heavy if they're not kept clean and the rings in the right position. The forarm tends to crack if it's not kept tight. Take the Forarm off and make sure it has all the rings under it On the magazine Tube. These are not gas operated guns they are recoil operated.( The whole barrel moves Backwards in the receiver to reject the Empty shell.) The Japanese made A5 are just as good as the Belgium. Some of the early Belgium made A5s had stocks that were cured with salt so you have to watch out for rust under under the stock. * = Full **= Modified *** = Improved cylinder .I'm sure there's a lot more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Ditto!
    All I can add is that I got new recoil springs for my Sweet Sixteen and Light 12 from Brownells a few years ago.
    Proper setup helps with the recoil impulse but they will never compare to shooting a gas operated auto.
    Not a problem for me.

Satisfaction of ownership does have its price right!?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If a man is only gonna have one shot gun he should try quite a few before he makes his selection. But the real question is why would a man only have one shot gun.

Agreed. You can clean it, through it in a closet, and pull it out in 50 years and it will still be nice (assuming no fires or floods).

You really need at least one, of each, in each gauge…

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Unless you just want one to say you have one, I don't see a need for the 16 ga. The 12 and 20 ammo is plentiful. 16 got impossible to find during covid and I really haven't seen any since, but haven't looked close.
    I have found that the Remington 48 is also an a5 variant only with the smooth back receiver. Same operation underneath it all.
    I will own an A5 or a rem 11 one day. I've missed a couple, just looking for the right one.

Top Bottom