• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmen

Shooter
    Hey all,

Im unable to find an exact answer to a question, hoping for some help. I moved to Florida from Virginia last year with a resident CC permit for Virginia. Florida has reciprocity agreement with Virginia, so I know the permit is valid here for some instances. But, since Im now a Florida resident (recently got a Florida license and registered to vote here) Im wondering if Im ok to carry with my VA permit, or if Im required to apply for a FL permit before I can carry, now that Im a resident. Any help is appreciated.

FLEXJ

Shooter
    This won't last long cause you are asking for legal advice and it will surely get closed. But, I would say to get a FL CCW, cause you are officially a resident now.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    My professional (I work at burger King) Legal (I do know I get a ticket if I run the camera light in Gulf Breeze) Advice (worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing) is that you should abandon the Virginia Permit and get the Florida CCW License. Easy to get, but the wait time to process my be getting longer the more our federal rulers talk about gun control.
    Having the FL license negates any potential problems.
    I now refer you back to the first sentence in this post.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    If you are a resident in any state and get their DL and such you must also get their permit,your VA is invalid now and you cannot carry legally in FL.

schmen

Shooter
    Thanks for al the help guys, application going in for FL CCW today, and guess I'll just have to go without carrying for a while.

rockb

Expert
    If you are a resident in any state and get their DL and such you must also get their permit,your VA is invalid now and you cannot carry legally in FL.

That is incorrect.

Some states will issue a permit to non residents of that state. Florida is one of them. The catch is that some states that honor that state's permit for residents do not honor it for non residents.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I believe if you change your residence and get a new DL for that state your old permit is not any good and you need to get one of the state you are a residence in. This fellow already moved here and made it his residence, if he had not he could have gotten a non residence permit if allowed.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—
    (1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
    (a) Is 21 years of age or older.
    (b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
    (c) Is a resident of the United States.
    (2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
    (3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
    (a) Registering to vote;
    (b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
    (c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,
    the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.

(4) This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
    (5) The requirement of paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a person who:
    (a) Is a servicemember, as defined in s. 250.01; or
    (b) Is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged under honorable conditions.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    WOW! Facts. Thanks Brandon.

Top Bottom